Bandidos Question

spect_spidey

I am new to the game. I currently have Von Schill and Misaki to use as masters. I have the Von Schill box, a Malifaux Child, Johan, Wokou Raiders, and Lazarus to currently use with Vanessa and the Misaki box on the way. I have been looking at the Bandidos and they seem like they could be some good scheme runners while still being able to do a bit of damage. I tried to find some posts on them, but my search fu seemed to have failed me. So are Bandidos viable? If so, should they be purchased with the Parker set or solo? Would they work well in replacing my Freikorps Men that I currently have? Would you run 1, 2, or 3 of them? Or what other models would be good choices for scheme runners?

Is there any case at all of anything but the minions from a starter being available elsewhere besides LEs?

But yeah that's always my opinion. If I want a box of minions and they're in a crew box, buy the crew box. At worst you've got some extra models in the cupboard for a rainy day.

Thanks for the replies. I am still confused, are Bandidos any good at scheme running? Being a new player, their ability to run and gun combined with their scheme markers abilities makes me think they would be an excellent model to use. I they are any good then I intend to buy the Parker box. If not, are there any suggestions for scheme runners?

For the point cost you're probably better off with Winged Plague or Void Wretches. 

Void Wretches are ridiculously AP efficient for their points and potentially very hard to shift due to incorporeal and their Df going up with your hand size going down. They also move fast because of incorp (bypassing terrain). 

Winged Plagues don't do much beyond scheme running, but they have a solid tactical and are Wk6 with flight... so they get where you need them to go. 

Bandido's definitely have a better attack than the other two, but are only walk 5 with no movement shenanigans or terrain bypassing featuers. Run and Gun is neat, and so is Finish the Job, but I kind of feel they are better in a parker crew than others. Especially when you can save 2ss by hiring 2 void wretches which are faster and can hand out slow to your opponent. Being hard to shift on top of that.

And as others have mentioned, if you're going to buy the minions from a master set, generally it's better to buy the master set.  There's only a few exceptions and really the only one I can think of off the top of my head are Yokai.  I am buying a second box of Yokai because I need more than three for my Asami crew.

I really like Bandidos, they can be deceptively fast and can make some schemes much harder to pull off, notably hidden trap and search the ruins. While they don't have an obvious way of getting round terrain, run and gun means that they can quite happily move through severe terrain to get where they need to on early turns to drop markers on later turns. 

If you just want a scheme runner winged plague or void wretches are slightly better typically but in the correct scheme pool bandidos are much better at denial and scheme running.  

Bandidos are totally OK/fine scheme runners, but they are not good dedicated shceme runners really. They have no real way to get through rough terrain other than run and gun, but after you run and gun you have no AP left to drop markers. Void Wretches and winged plagues are much much better for this role - they are cheaper, take about the same amount of AP to put down, and have ways to get where they need to be more efficiently than the bandidos.

I often find a bandido in my list when I need a body that is kind of slippery, and needs to be a bit mobile. Run and gun makes them hard to keep locked down in melee, and the squeel trigger also helps with that. They die very easily though, and their scheme marker stealing has never done anything for me in the myriad games I have played bandidos in - either because they are dead at the end of the game, or not where they want to be to use the ability. On top of that, a lot of schemes don't score at the end of the game now either...

I would say that their advantages over a friekorpsmann are negligable in a von schill list, since the friekorps characteristic confers a few strong benefits. Combined with unimpeded and I don't think I'd take a bandido over a korpsmann with Von Schill.

Just to add to that - I would say that it's definitely not worth buying the bandidos individually. Firstly, I don't think you'll get much use out of them without Parker (unless you just want to hire them because they're cool, regardless of their role etc.) and secondly if/when you DO get Parker you'll have 6 bandidos, and there's no way you'd want to hire even more than two I would say... I mean you COULD, but it wouldn't be that good...

I find the Bandidos are pretty meh and I play Parker. They Drop easy, don't have a lot of movement options and get picked apart by casters. You'll never want to play with more than 2 and that's with Parker for the other masters there are much better options (void wretches, Winged plague, Oiran for Misaki) With Parker they work a lot better for his synergy but you'll take the Undead outlaws more

42 minutes ago, beergod said:

I find the Bandidos are pretty meh and I play Parker. They Drop easy, don't have a lot of movement options and get picked apart by casters. You'll never want to play with more than 2 and that's with Parker for the other masters there are much better options (void wretches, Winged plague, Oiran for Misaki) With Parker they work a lot better for his synergy but you'll take the Undead outlaws more

What do the Undead Outlaws do? 

On 7/3/2017 at 4:07 PM, spect_spidey said:

Undead Outlaws have two mask triggers built in.  One deals +1 damage to a model with an upgrade and the other is a push after succeeding.  They also have Drop it! to place enemy scheme markers.  They also have an aura to discard placed enemy scheme markers to heal if they are wounded.

I actually like Bandidos.  Admitedly I run the with Parker, but Drop It! is great for making Claim Jump more difficult.  They can be easily killed by strong melee models, but I've found that's usually not an issue with Run and Gun

On 7/3/2017 at 5:07 PM, spect_spidey said:

The Big thing they do is eat enemy scheme markers to Heal. They have better stat lines for 1SS more than the Bandidos. A fav tactic is to have them get into melee, to tie up models and with Parker's you were told to duck and Drop it to have the enemy drop the markers and then have the outlaws heal and then push followed more shooting. Great board control.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm the type of person who runs loads of minions so I really like Bandido's, their defensive trigger can be huge as even if the enemy fails you still push 5", they have decent shooting attacks which can be even better with a run and gun as run and gun allows them to push out of combat and shoot an enemy. 

Finish the job comes in handy for schemes like search the ruins and sometimes claim jump as a Bandido getting killed can earn you a vp. 

I main Tara and use 1-2 Bandido's at the moment with her as well as Void Wretches and Ronin for diversity and find that Bandido's do very well so I say just try them out with other Outcast masters and see if you like them.