What Future Things Would You Like To See?

retnab

Hey all, I was just thinking about the wave 5 beta models and it got me wondering what we could see in wave 6 and beyond as well.  If you could have a say in which of our sub-factions would get more love in future releases (M&SU, Frozen Heart, Beast, Foundry, Showgirl, Academic), what would you like to see?

Personally I'd love to see more models from the Frozen Heart sub-faction (that we can hire).  I have no clue who could possibly be a new Master for them (since Raspy seems the undisputed boss there), but it got me wondering a bit about the possibility of a Henchmen/Enforcer in the form of one of the pre-Rasputina cult bosses.  Did any of them survive in the story or were they all killed off?  Or maybe we could get a Minion of something like a December Initiate which could be someone who wants to join the Cult of December but wasn't a part of it before Raspy did her thing?  Really I just want more Cult of December stories and models :P 

I like the fact that Malifaux has a model for almost any taste. I say almost. There are still some models that need some representation, some of these may have a single model or a past model but here are a few I would like to see:

• Indians!!  We have cowboys we need more Indians (and no it is not politically incorrect, my ancestors were Cherokee)
  • Vikings !  Oh yes please. What's in your wallet? Money for Vikings.
  • Dwarves ! I am short, fat and bald I need representation.
  • Evil Penguins,  Insane penguin Posse anyone?

All of these would be fun.  I will leave to you fine folks what factions they would be in.

Edit : I am not typing Penguins but it keeps changing to that.  I am typing those guys that are in a circus that are represented by the character in Stephen Kings IT.

I'm hoping that wave 5 will come with fun upgrades and maybe new crossover.

Some limited upgrades could change the way some masters have been played so far. For example, it could be the opportunity to get a killy Kaeris or maybe a schemy Rasputina.

Wyrd could create new factions by allowing some crossover. For example, Hoffman could take part in the M&SU faction or Sonnia would belong to a mage faction.

• Like 1

It seems like a lot of the Arcanist mooks that show up in the fluff sections for other factions seem to just be random guys that are tossing around spells in fights. The faction doesn't seem to have any units that seem to represent that. 

The fluff on the Wind Gamin make it seem like they should fit in well with The Captain. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of cheap or free upgrade for The Captain that lets him do something with the Wind Gamin.  

• Like 1

OK my contribution, first I'll say that liking some of the direction in 5th wave;

So the Academic sub-factions:

• Beast and Marcus - Honestly with the size of the pool he can draw from for range and options Marcus is flush.  But I'd love to see Molemen develop as a concept, maybe a Moleman enforcer or henchman.
  • Frozen Heart and Raspy - Really in a good position as many of the models here are well-regarded in Arcanists running well with or without Raspy.  Wider range would be nice but questions about what to add, perhaps some mid-point range Frozen Heart beasts like the Wendigo as minions or enforcers in the 6-7 SS range.  Perhaps some Blizzard Gamin style things.  Like the idea of maybe another Henchman or Master in this theme, perhaps showing a division in the sub-faction as Raspy diverges more and more from agendas her influences (Ramos and December) attempt to place upon this violently unpredictable and disturbed young woman.
  • M&SU and Ironsides, Ramos + Mei to a point - Here I think real development is needed, the range and focus seems scatter-shot, some OK concepts and models but the theme is spread out and does not seem to have the inner-coherence and outer-application of the other Arcanist sub-faction models.  I'd like to see more focus on the organisational structure of the M&SU and where models fit, I really like the anti-establishment revolution vibe but think it needs more development.  Here would be my second place vote for concentrating a future release.
  • Foundry and Mei - I think this is a Arcanist and TT question and mostly I've covered the Arcanist side above, I'd like more development of Foundary and maybe another sub-faction within M&SU, perhaps another Henchman or some Foundry enforcers.
  • Showgirls and Colette - love the ladies but the Showgirl theme makes expansion tough, perhaps something in acrobatics (but Ice Dancers), Fire has Carlos, maybe sword and weapon displays (Jugglers or Sword-dancers), more development of Orians+++.  Colette in previous edition had an M&SU merc buff, I think something which develops her criminal-smuggling (even a TT link, see Orian again+++) concept and also her connection to the wider faction is needed.  My third vote for development. 
  • Academic and Sandeep - This is the HUGE place for me, really need a wider range of Academic theme and connecting it across the other sub-factions.  While I understand that M&SU and worker rights is central as an Arcanist theme (see the breaking of chains) the broken chains are wrapped around a book and about the relaese of knowledge and the power that comes with it to the common man (subject to controls and constraints applied by the wise minds of the Arcanist leadership of course...); this is really one of the central pillars of the faction for me and needs real development, easily the first place I'd vote to expand;

So thoughts on expanding Arcanists/Academic faction:

• Beast Naturalist perhaps an Academic who has devoted their life's work studying and understanding the beasts, fauna and flora of Malifaux, could run as perhaps either a master or a henchman and maybe link to the expanded nature of the Molemen or another quasi-intelligent Malifaux species.
  • A Frozen Heart style hermit Academic, a person who wandered into the frozen mountains seeking enlightenment and inner-knowledge and found something much darker and colder alongside the insights which come from that.  Or maybe an Academic expert on storms and weather patterns whose looked too deep into the frozen heart of Malifaux more extreme weather events, so weather-wind-storm related expansion. Also development into maybe creatures of the frozen lands (Marcus link).
  • M&SU/Foundry, more science of the Union and perhaps an expansion on the bureaucratic opposition seen in recent M&SU lawyer which we all are waiting for release August.... Again I'd like to see more development in the engineers and hidden minds working behind the working man in the M&SU.
  • Showgirls and Academics expanded with maybe an emphasis on an Underground railroad for intellectuals and magic-users run from the Star. Develop the 'science' of illusion, a choreographer model, a hidden school for oppressed young women would also really nicely run a women's empowerment (Colette/Raspy) with oppressed rights (Ramos/Ironsides/Mei- also Irons and Mei have a women's role theme) with academic advancement (Sandeep) and fit the Malifaux quasi-time period and societal history I think.  A Mistress 'X' school for young girls and orphans of unusual powers and temperaments hidden and supported by the dames of the Star.

That is my thinking, its time to free the book.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, retnab said:

Personally I'd love to see more models from the Frozen Heart sub-faction (that we can hire).  I have no clue who could possibly be a new Master for them (since Raspy seems the undisputed boss there), but it got me wondering a bit about the possibility of a Henchmen/Enforcer in the form of one of the pre-Rasputina cult bosses.  Did any of them survive in the story or were they all killed off?  Or maybe we could get a Minion of something like a December Initiate which could be someone who wants to join the Cult of December but wasn't a part of it before Raspy did her thing?  Really I just want more Cult of December stories and models :P 

Not sure if you've ever had the chance to play with Raethford from the story scenario but you really should. I've used him several times and I've even used him in regular play from time to time (in a casual game with my opponents permission of course).

I would LOVE to see him become a legal master as I feel like he connects december with the rest of the faction and he's so much damn fun to play. He plays totally different than Raspy and plays more like a utility version of Ironsides. The armour that ticks down after every hit, the increased conditions with each successive hit, the summoning and destruction of ice gamin and of course flurry. He's incredibly unique even among our own melee masters

Since he's M&SU, he can take the M&SU upgrades which makes for a really interesting list as now ice gamin are healing and giving out burning on their attacks. Running him with spiders helps his melee so there are fluffy and mechanical reasons to actually run frozen heart and M&SU.

I do think he still needs a bit of balancing tweaks but he's otherwise very solid. I would love to see Wyrd bring him in as a fully fledged master in the future

• Like 4

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎29 at 10:22 AM, Jordon said:

Not sure if you've ever had the chance to play with Raethford from the story scenario but you really should. I've used him several times and I've even used him in regular play from time to time (in a casual game with my opponents permission of course).

I would LOVE to see him become a legal master as I feel like he connects december with the rest of the faction and he's so much damn fun to play. He plays totally different than Raspy and plays more like a utility version of Ironsides. The armour that ticks down after every hit, the increased conditions with each successive hit, the summoning and destruction of ice gamin and of course flurry. He's incredibly unique even among our own melee masters

Since he's M&SU, he can take the M&SU upgrades which makes for a really interesting list as now ice gamin are healing and giving out burning on their attacks. Running him with spiders helps his melee so there are fluffy and mechanical reasons to actually run frozen heart and M&SU.

I do think he still needs a bit of balancing tweaks but he's otherwise very solid. I would love to see Wyrd bring him in as a fully fledged master in the future

That's going to be difficult, seeing as he's dead.

I would love to see some more rogue spellcasters (or Warlocks as the Guild call them) in Arcanists, especially more average/unnamed ones like the Oxfordians. There are several magical theories mentioned in Through the Breach that could make for some great models.

Here are the theories mentioned in the Fated Almanac:

• The Oxford Method
    • We already have Oxfordian mages and their magic is barely even illegal, where are the real Arcanists? :lol:
  • The Whisper
    • Necromantic theory that doesn't fit Arcanists at all
  • The Darlin Theories
    • Magic that is channelled through Pneumatic limbs and is based on scientific principles, simply awesome.
  • The Court Procedure
    • This is a weird one. Students are meant to teach themselves and gain knowledge that allows them to recognise other practitioners. According to its creator (Lauren Descartes), "...power comes from forcing others to obey rules that the powerful do not abide by." These guys are apparently quite organised but I'm unsure as to whether they would fit in with the Arcanists. Given that it is described as being used by aristocracies, it may not fit in.
  • Thalarian Doctrine
    • Guild approved enchantment of objects to create items anyone can use. Might be interesting as a single ability/attack/tactical action but probably not a whole model given that it is actually legal, so why would a practitioner join the Arcanists?
  • The Balanced Five
    • This theory is interesting to me, it is based around Earth, Fire, Water, Air and Metal. The theory comes from the three kingdoms which makes me want a dual-faction Arcanist/Ten-Thunders mage that has synergy with Kaeris/Raspy/Mei Feng/Shen Long and some of the burning based TT models. Could even give it poison synergy if you use the trope of earth=poison.
  • Hedge Magic
    • This is, I feel, what people think of when they think of a rogue Arcanist/Warlock. Hedge Magic is a personal magical theory that is unique to each practitioner and makes little to no sense to anyone else. Hedge casters are often uniquely good at specific magics while being incapable of casting simple spells in other categories.
  • Tradition Magic
    • Magical theories passed down within families for centuries on Earthside, finally being useful in Malifaux. This could make a good Henchman as a backstory is likely required given how different each of these theories should be.

The only problem I foresee with making new spellcasters is that they may make Sandeep even stronger than he already is if they are given the Academic tag.

• Like 2

I'd love to see more named Frozen Heart models. More specificly, I've wanted Alice Burson to become a model ever since reading her story (Wyrd Chronicles Volume 15, December's Call: Homecoming).

Though the problem with Alice specifically is that there's nothing differentiating her from the generic Acolyte and her story seems to be more of an example of how the Acolytes are recruited instead of the backstory of one unique individual, so I doubt we'll be seeing her anytime soon. Still, I'd love to have a named Acolyte upgraded to Enforcer/Henchman with it's own pet hoarcat (not Luka for obvious reasons).

I just took a quick skim through what models we have access to and it seems like most of the different sub-factions are actually really well balanced in their numbers!

• Academics: 9
  • Beast: 11+ (there's so many)
  • Foundry: 8
  • Gamin: 6
  • Frozen Heart: 8
  • M&SU: 23
  • Showgirl: 9

So with the exceptions of Beasts (of which there are tons), and M&SU which is a large chunk of the faction, the sub factions are basically 8 or 9 models each.  Not bad overall, but I hope at least 2 of those other sub-factions get a bit more love in the future :) 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 4:50 AM, retnab said:

I just took a quick skim through what models we have access to and it seems like most of the different sub-factions are actually really well balanced in their numbers!

• Academics: 9
  • Beast: 11+ (there's so many)
  • Foundry: 8
  • Gamin: 6
  • Frozen Heart: 8
  • M&SU: 23
  • Showgirl: 9

So with the exceptions of Beasts (of which there are tons), and M&SU which is a large chunk of the faction, the sub factions are basically 8 or 9 models each.  Not bad overall, but I hope at least 2 of those other sub-factions get a bit more love in the future :) 

Still myself of the general opinion that we have 2 strong faction themes and a collection of sub-themes.

The strong themes are M&SU - workers rights and freedoms and Academics - the pursuit of knowledge and arcane power free of restriction.

Foundry I see as a sub-faction of the M&SU with tendrils into TT (and Gremlins??), basically freedoms with a racial aspect and also some additional nefarious objectives.

Beasts is a Marcus sub-faction which could be expanded with maybe an additional series of links to M&SU/Academic but from a models perspective (non-named) is really flush with choices.  

Frozen Heart is similar to Marcus, its a largely Rasputina niche which I think could use another master/henchman to mesh it further into the wider faction and provide more options.  From a base model perspective they are not large but make up with this in quality, still the FH range could be expanded and options abound.

Gamin I don't really see as a sub-faction but as a type, still this area could be interesting fodder for expansion, as the "summoned and created" seek independence. 

Finally Showgirls I think could expand in interesting direction as they explore the 'gaps' which exist in the wider Arcanists, smuggling and such, the attractive illusion of harmlessness which they move the critical elements across the city and known world(s), interesting potential to mesh and conflict more with the TT.  Also obviously here strong theme of women's suffrage something which also links strongly with FH.

This is the central theme of Arcanists, resistance from oppression and exploitation (perhaps into a different form of the same as the rebellion leaders become the regimes tyrants..)  The themes of resistance are an interesting study:

• Beasts and the environment - Marcus and to a lesser extent Rasputina
  • Scholars - Sandeep and to a lesser extent Colette, Kaeris and Ramos
  • Workers - Ramos, Mei, Kaeris and Ironsides
  • Women - Colette and Rasputina, with maybe  some Mei, Kaeris and Ironsides potential as yet unrealised
  • Magical spirits - Really undeveloped but potential is there, mainly Sandeep could expand here and also Kaeris

These present interesting avenues for development and also potential for conflict both with other factions (obviously Guild but also TT vs Showgirls appears a obvious place where agendas and strategy intersects) and alliances (Raspy - NB, Marcus and Gremlins, Colette and TT [enemies, allies or both], Sandeep and/or NB, Rezzers [the pursuit of dark knowledge], even Guild and Ramos as the political/military power reassesses alliances with economic/worker strength and focus against an external threat of which scores abound]. 

Lastly the Otherside has huge potential impact here.  In particular where does the Gibbering Hordes fit in particularly with Marcus, the Abyssinia with many factions, they have power and access to Malifaux and represent a continent and ethnicity largely undeveloped in the lore (but historically fits front and center in Arcanist freedom from oppression lore - I mean slavery and segregation...), Kings Empire and Burning Man also have potential influences across all Malifaux but Arcanists is several spaces.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/07/2017 at 2:27 AM, dancater said:

This is the central theme of Arcanists, resistance from oppression and exploitation (perhaps into a different form of the same as the rebellion leaders become the regimes tyrants..)

Really? I always thought that it's about forbidden arcane powers/knowledge - faction name and symbol...

46 minutes ago, Flint said:

Really? I always thought that it's about forbidden arcane powers/knowledge - faction name and symbol...

See your point but disagree.

Forbidden knowledge is an aspect as is power but not the thread which links all the masters in the faction.  Also the knowledge they primarily seek access to is forbidden not because of an inherent 'evil' (such as rezzers) but by the guild as much as a method of controlling power, the Arcanist pursuit of knowledge is heavily about access to that knowledge for the people (or more likely a limited section thereof) opposed to its domination by the privileged rulers of the Guild.

So again my thinking (power/influence is a given because without these the other goals are impossible):

• Ramos knowledge and worker rights.  Depending on the narrative and how you interpret it is whether you see Ramos (the tentative faction leader) as being more about power veiled by workers rights or power as a method of ensuring workers rights, which is really true for most revolutionaries. 
  • Marcus protection and exploration of the wilds of Malifaux
  • Raspy December, knowledge and independence (total and complete, violent), particularly for oppressed women
  • Colette knowledge, independence (more financial and equal input), particularly for women
  • Mei workers rights, racial equality, potentially threads (TT depending how Wyrd develops her story) criminal, domination for the TT and/or independence from the TT 
  • Kaeris knowledge, workers rights, power
  • Ironsides workers freedoms, independence
  • Sandeep knowledge and education for the gifted regardless of affiliation

So the thread which runs through every Arcanist master is some form of freedom and independence for their wards and the concept that this freedom can and will be secured by access to the knowledge and power of the arcane which is currently criminalized and dominated by the Guild in order to exploit and oppress for their own gain.  For some master the pursuit of power is a goal unto itself or equal to any ideal of freedom/equality, but for others freedom is primary and I'd argue for Irons (she appears happy not leading but with her workers) and Marcus (who strikes me as willing to just be let alone to his research and beasts) and possibly Mei (difficult to say as she is so complex with dual-faction) power itself is secondary to their goals.  On that note the two powerful suffrage masters, Colette and Raspy, are also complex regards the pure pursuit of knowledge vs women's suffrage; Raspy is at times in active conflict with December and seeks independence within her own spirit from the very source of forbidden power she possesses and Colette seems as if she would be happy if the Star and her employees would be left alone from exploitation and machinations as appears at times a reluctant smuggler and criminal her actions driven by the need to protect her 'girls' (and other crew).

The faction symbol itself is chains breaking around a book, symbolic for me of freedom through access to knowledge. 

One of the things I love about Malifaux is how it takes a incredibly turbulent historical period (roughly analogous to the mid-late 19th century to early 20th century [1840-1920]) and reflects many of the salient dramas with its own twist of the fantasy and fantastic.  So the emergence of racial equality (Mei, perhaps Irons and Marcus, also possibly Sandeep), women's suffrage (Raspy and Colette with perhaps Irons and Kaeris), workers rights (Ramos, Karis, Irons and Mei), freedom of education (Sandeep), recognition of importance of nature/environment (Marcus and maybe even Raspy) all threads from that era in the real world and given comparison in Malifaux in no small part within the Arcanist faction.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, dancater said:

The faction symbol itself is chains breaking around a book, symbolic for me of freedom through access to knowledge. 

Why not getting access to free bread trough access of knowledge? That's presuming what symbol could mean and goal behind the book can be anything in that way. For me looks like pursuing forbidden knowledge is the main goal. Much more clear.

You wrote a lot about struggle for woman empowerment but this world doesn't look like women were heavily oppressed. They can be leaders, heavy duty workers, academics, journalists, entrepreneurs etc. Colette is oppressed by Ramos in the same way he is (probably) oppressing pub owners (mafia like). Rasputina was fugitive because of her crimes in the past, not because she is a woman (later added to crimes wielding arcane powers). Women seems to be rather equal in Mfx. Maybe with exception of not being allowed to be obese (and I am not talking about heavy weighted Johanna-class women, Executioner male-female is very good example). There is universal oppression: those with power oppress those without, doesn't matter what gender on both sides.

By the way, wasn't that topic about something else :) ?

3 hours ago, Flint said:

You wrote a lot about struggle for woman empowerment but this world doesn't look like women were heavily oppressed.

Before Raspy showed up the Cult of December definitely had a patriarchal streak. The priests of December used to remove the tongues of Silent Ones and controlled the organisation as a whole (below December). When Raspy showed up she ritualistically cannibalised the priests and uplifted/freed the Silent Ones. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jinn said:

Before Raspy showed up the Cult of December definitely had a patriarchal streak. The priests of December used to remove the tongues of Silent Ones and controlled the organisation as a whole (below December). When Raspy showed up she ritualistically cannibalised the priests and uplifted/freed the Silent Ones. 

In the same way Seamus is oppressing women. That is hardly a standard, it's example of murderous freaks creating their own rules for their own amusement. 

1 hour ago, Flint said:

In the same way Seamus is oppressing women. That is hardly a standard, it's example of murderous freaks creating their own rules for their own amusement. 

Thing there though is unlike Raspy (and Colette in the more recent stories), with the maybe exception of Molly Seamus' women don't get a happy ending or their own chance to do something besides be a minion.

I'd like to see more variety in the Arcanist beasts for Myranda to turn into.  It seems like there are two good choices (Blessed of December, Sabretooth Cerebrus) and they both essentially fill the same role. You could probably find some corner cases where  Cojo or the Razorspine Rattler might be better options but you'll almost always want to have her turn into one of the two big beaters.    

Having some viable choices that fill another role without being a downgrade from Myranda would make her more interesting to take.

• Like 1

I think it would actually be cool to give Miranda an upgrade that makes her a viable choice on her own... 

I'd still be psyched to see Imbued Energies draw only if an enemy kills or sacrifices the bearer... That interaction with Miranda is so bogus! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2017 at 3:46 PM, retnab said:

Thing there though is unlike Raspy (and Colette in the more recent stories), with the maybe exception of Molly Seamus' women don't get a happy ending or their own chance to do something besides be a minion.

Think Seamus' girls provide happy endings!

• Like 1