Good additions for Kaeris

Ringlefinch

I am pretty new to the game and started by getting the Kaeris and Ramos crew boxes.  I really enjoy playing Kaeris and want to expand my options for models that work well with her.  One of the local henchmen suggested the mechanical rider, a box of December acolytes or a box of raptors (he emphasized the acolytes the most).  I personally really like the idea of getting the arcane emissary (the model is really cool), but it might be a less efficient purchase since I already have Joss and Howard Langston for melee bruisers. 

I have two questions:

1) Is the emissary useful/different enough (in terms of role or synergy) from Joss or Howard to justify picking it up over the above suggested models?

2) Does anyone have suggestions for the best choice of model (or models, in the case of the raptors and acolytes) to improve my Kaeris crew?

Thanks for any input or ideas! :D

I value Joss or Howard higher than Emissary with Kaeris so it would only be a potential purchase if you didn't want to buy the entire Ramos box for whatever reason.

Raptors are good, even better if you have a Practice Production carrier (Cassandra, Angelica, Carlos), those three are all nice models in themselves as well and the last two are single model boxes. Carlos also have a fire theme.

Acolytes are good models, but they never seem to fit into my crews anymore since they are kind of expensive and die real easy (and they tend to be high priority kills since they are fairly annoying).

So if I were you I'd buy Raptors and either Angelica or Carlos next.

• Like 3

Man I love Kaeris, she's so much fun.

What @Bengt said was really on point.   If I could only pick one thing I'd take the Malifaux Child. He's great with Kaeris for borrowing her (1) actions to spread burning around more easily.  Johan and Mech Rider can also get a lot of work done down the line.

Acolytes are great but Kaeris already naturally brings a lot of range to the crew so I'm not sure more is needed at an early stage of collecting.

My first picks for my Kaeris crews were always the Malifaux Child, who would spend his time tossing out burning onto a couple Large Arachnids. Those guys might not seem like an obvious choice, but with the right upgrade on Kaeris, with burning on them, they get to basically create their own scheme markers for fueling their + flips mechanic, making them put out a lot more damage than people expect. 

I played her before Carlos was around, but I'd give him a strong look on his own, and even better with Practiced Production to go with a raptor.

• Like 1

i'd also say child as something to give extra burning is a real good idea! i always think its a good idea to work out when building a crew is weather or not you want to spend the game setting your own stuff on fire and benefiting from that (e.g rail golems, large arachnids, carlos etc) or your opponent's stuff (then gunsmiths, fire starter etc are much better) kaeris can do both role's o.k but if you try to do both you will run out of activations very quickly!

1 hour ago, Ringlefinch said:

Thanks for the advice yall! I didn't even know about the child.  That seems like super value at 2ss!  I think I'll prioritize my future purchases as follows:

Carlos + the Practiced Production card > Raptors > Malifaux Child > Emissary (sometime down the line)

just to point out with merc tax its 3ss

3 hours ago, retnab said:

Don't forget that under Kaeris, the Child can also use Just Like You! to use Accelerant, getting around the "once per turn" restriction.  Damage/Paralysis for all!

I will definitely keep that in mind.  Hitting 3-4 models with 2 accelerants sounds amazing! 

I never seem to have the points to take the emissary with Kaeris and I'm not sure I really need him. I will be getting Carlos when he is out and I'm sure he'd work great with Kaeris. If you want things on fire without using her AP then there are plenty of things that can do it such as the Firestarter, Malifaux Child and even the Union Miner. I don't see the Emissary upgrade that allows her to take two zero actions is essential at all - nice but it's not usually enough to make me want the Emissary.

Other model options:

Union miner: If the schemes and strats require lots of scheme markers then I would consider a union miner. Although anyone can drop scheme markers with Grab and Drop Kaeris the union miner can do claim jump on his own for example. He also gives burning +2 - handy if you want to give Carlos some extra burning, or if you want anything to burn a bit.

Large Arachnids: Definitely a good buy. There are just so tough for their points and with grab and drop can drop a scheme marker at the end of their activation ready for them to consume when they next activate - giving then positives on all flips for their activation.

Mechanical Rider: Quite good and I take him a fair bit especially when I need more models for the schemes or Strats. I think he will see less play time in my crews once Carlos arrives though.

So I really really love Carlos with her. Mech Rider is just good, period. Give it flight and its even better. Emissary is fun with her but by no means essential. There's a lot of order of operations trouble you run into getting her Instinctual when you almost always want her to go first. 

My favorite list with her is 3 mages, carlos, malfaux child and the rest to taste as needed.