Alternate Hamelin Crew?

Domime Nox

To start off I don't mean the alt sculpt.

Recently I discovered Hamelin and learned how potent he can be but I really hate the rats. So I'm asking here if there is a tournament legal way to use something else in place of the numerous rat models he'd normally employ. I heard somewhere about a Dr Who themed Hamelin, but haven't found it. And wad unsure how much leway the Malifaux conversion or alternate model approach would work. I am coming from Warmachines policy of where you need to know at a glance what it is or no good. So could I replace everything with spiders? Or robotic creations? Or slimes? Or something else creative for rats, rat kings and rat catchers? Or is it rats or bust?

Well at a tournament... i would be pretty pissed if i had to ask each time if the cans of beer you placed on the table were proxies for the stolen or proxies for the rats.
The game is allready confusing enough without  ppl replacing miniatures with different coloured marbles or paperclips.
As long as you can see at first glance that the rat is a rat and the hamelin is a hamelin, everythings fine. convert them proxy them but keep it within the boundaries of being friendly to your opponent you are playing with.

Short answer: ask the TO.

Long answer (from Gaining Grounds 2017 document):

Proxy models are not allowed in M2E Tournaments. A
player must use the official Wyrd Miniatures model. This
prevents a score of issues, most notably an opponent not
being able to visually "read" the table.

Conversions, however, are acceptable. They are an
excellent way to show off your modeling skills. Original
sculpts and conversions are allowed if the Organizer
deems them to be accurate representations of the models
portrayed. If using a model that was converted with
manufactured pieces, no more than 33% of the finished
model may be built using other game companies’ models,
while the rest must be either wholly or a combination
of original sculpt or Wyrd manufactured pieces, as
determined by the Organizer. If a model has an officially
released (non-beta) stat card available, but no model is yet
released, the player may field a conversion, but it must be
easily identifiable, as per the Organizer’s discretion.

Okay, no Hamelin then.

And in regards to this.

2 hours ago, DXXXVIII said:

Well at a tournament... i would be pretty pissed if i had to ask each time if the cans of beer you placed on the table were proxies for the stolen or proxies for the rats.
The game is allready confusing enough without  ppl replacing miniatures with different coloured marbles or paperclips.

That wasn't quite what I meant.

so, as long as you use consistent style throughout the crew - why not?

You can sculpt Hamelin as Sauron, Wretch as a Nazgul, stolen as little baby orks and rats as goblins - as long as you observe the GG17 rules of "ask the TO" and "use original sculpt and Wyrd parts"

I've seen amazing Schill resculpts that were used in an Australian tournament by Nick Beattie, those had about nothing to do with original models.

I'd say it's tricky since there are a lot of models on the same base size and they transform etc. If it was just the rats model I guess snakes could replace them but if any model they turn into qould also be different it qould start to get unwieldy.

You could play Hamelin without the rats as in picking other models for your crew instead. That's perfectly legal and saves both you and the opponent from having to play with the rats. ;)

I've been to a tournament where someone well placed in the UK Malifaux community had a Jurassic Park themed crew which consisted of a fair number of plastic dinosaurs. I've a feeling it was a McCabe crew proxy....might be wrong there. It might have been a smidgeon confusing but it was fun and as long as the TO doesn't mind then anything goes. I'd draw the line personally at using "other" Malifaux models as proxies but for example, if someone wanted to use Nurglings as a rat proxy, i'd be cool with that. If you saw 6-8 nurglings across the table in what you KNOW is a Hamelin crew, i think you'd remember quite easily that they were Rat proxies. Anything similar would in my mind work. 6-8 Poo emoji's would be really easy to sculpt too.....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...