Best outcast minions

Rachet

5 hours ago, Kolath said:

I would not run more than one Wokou, and I wish they were 7 and slightly weaker (they really should be a 7.5ss model. So get a box and split it with a friend

Thing is im looking for cheaper minions rather than more expensive :P

On 6/8/2017 at 7:33 AM, Joel said:

In 2016 I ran at least 1 ronin in every list I ran, over 110 games, across 7 factions, and went as high as 4 ronin in some lists.

at no point did I have cause to regret my choice.

Math is right about their durability, but I'd also add that the next target trigger on their sword can be incredibly useful, and that 2/3/5 damage spread a lot more scary when the crow trigger allows you to unleash a severe or RJ from your hand.  

I lost count of the izamus, peacekeepers, even masters that my ronin swooped in and dispatched.  Also how many stashes they guarded, prisoners taken, accusations denied, headhunters left headless and soulstones generated.

i was using them at 7ss for much of that year and considered them well-priced, at 6ss in outcasts they strike me as a bargain. 

Joel was well publicised in using Ronin last year. I just couldn't get the theory behind them. Since switching to some Outcast play lately and having used them twice, I retract all negativity and bow to more infinite wisdom than mine. They are actually very durable, can dish out hurt that is tricky to dish back due to their next triggers and if all else fails, you get some stones and/or cards back if and when you sac them. 2 stones or 2 cards back in effect make this "overcosted" 6 point model a 4-5 point model depending what you draw. If someone said you can have a ronin at 4ss, I think you'd bit their hand off. 

That's just my tuppence worth. 

• Like 2

Admittedly my experience is very limited, but it's not that I disagree. I do see how good they are, and maybe it's because I'm using them incorrectly, but my issue is that I don't require as much from them as they bring. 

I agree that they're way worth their points, I just don't think I often need all what they bring and thus feel like I overpay, since I'm paying for what I don't need (or feel like I need). 

If there are scheme marker heavy schemes/strategies in the pool, Dead Outlaw is a must.  Frustrating and effective.

If Hamelin, using the Sewer King upgrade to get Crooligans on the table is wonderful.

I've used Nix with the Hollow upgrade for access to Guild Hounds, Corrupted Hounds & Canine Remains, or all of them once in a very memorable Recconoitor strategy once; 12 non-peon models over 4 table quarters vs an elite beater 6 model crew, it was auto 4 points just existing.

I really like Wokou Raiders with Viktorias as their Coordinated Raid trigger makes Viktoria of Blood, with her Mark of Shez'uul, hit people again, and again....

If the Freikorp Trapper did not randomize when shooting into melee, it would be the best Minion in the game, and while you can do it with the Hodgepodge Emissary's Von Schill aura, that makes it too expensive/limiting.

The Performer is the best Mercenary minion in the game, full stop.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Come on, the void wretches need some love for their speed and durability as cheap scheme runners and tar pit pieces. Four soul stones for an incorporeal model that can move 10" and still hand out slow is a great little dog-flea-eldrich abomination. They are not enough of a threat to warrant a heavy hitter to attack them but making that heavy hitter only hit once a turn at half damage is usually enough to seriously compromise their effectivenes. They can also heal and attack buried models for a bit of additional utility, even if this actions are situational.

If you're struggling with activations, how big of a Soulstone pool are you bringing? 

I've been running Taelor, Vanessa, Student, and three Ronin (two once I get Big Jake) and I haven't been feeling awful, but I never have more than four stones in the pool to begin. I found all I used them for was prevention when a Vim would take 3+ wounds. Any extras I need come from Ronin (and eventually the Effigy).