Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- June

prof_bycid

Hello,

I would like to share my progress so far. I said I wanted June to be the month of the gamins, so I painted one of the poison gamins I said I'd paint this month and I finished... four dog gamins :):

IMG_3079_zpsa8bxnsvn.jpg

IMG_3075-2_zpsh6xfp6nd.jpg

You may know about dog gamins: Marcus can take them... :)

I still have to finish the following four in progress, including the two poison gamins I announced at the beginning of the month:

IMG_3077_zps3afqjcch.jpg

• Like 9

What a month... First time I got a chance to devote some time to some minis. So I assembled the Titania Crew and the Waldgeists (jeez, all of those are soooo fiddly, took me ages), picked some bases and got them ready to be primed.

YH87CVo.jpg

I don't know if I can still pledge something this late in the month, but if not, doesn't matter, I still have a mulligan to spend. I'll try anyway, because I don't want to have an excuse to stop now, so here: For June I want to get painted:
- Miss Ery (11 SS)
- Mature Nephilim (11 SS)
- Titania (15 SS)

K4PRz7q.jpg

Again, rather I'd aim high than have an excuse. Let's see how this goes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

really like the base for your night terror - looks great already

Hey, thanks Burning' Coal!  The night terrors are awesome in that they come with some great base material.  The stone arch is part of the model.  I added a skull, ribcage, and cracked earth with Citadel Martian Ironearth.  I will get some base colors done and post a WIP photo that shows this a bit better.  But yeah, the arch that it comes with is great.

• Like 1

@wizuriel: Search "How to paint Eldar gemstones" and there are lots of step-by-step instructions that I've been using for... well, uh. Decades. Literal, factual decades. I now feel old.

I'm... I'm not sure I like how rough he looks, though. What kind of spraybase did you use? Or did you dust him with white spray at some point? Because it really detracts from the paintjob IMHO.

So I'm still in the game! Last month had to use a mulligan (I almost died due to a respiratory infection, which also left my hands extremely unsteady as I recovered), but this month I finished off Von Schill (15), his totem (3), 2 Freikorpsmann (10), Student of War (4), and Hodgepodge Effigy (4) for 36 total thus far.

large.5946c03b1d3af_malifaux-outcastscre

The two Freikorpsmen I painted previously are in the background - he got two extras as part of a lot and paid to have them painted. I won't argue.

large.5946c020c25a4_malifaux-outcastsmas

Sadly, I found Von Schill boring to paint. Yes, he has a great pose, but unfortunately the scheme that the customer and I agreed on is dull, dull, dull - they're supposed to say "Quiet professional mercs" versus the Vik's "Flashy lady mercs" stuff.

large.5946c028f1270_malifaux-outcastsstu

*sigh* I dunno. I wanted her to have an orphanage dress look to her, as though the Viks plucked her out and she started learning from them, but it came out boring. I'm also a bit displeased at how the lumpy and uneven the face looks when blown up 4x, but it was necessary to get her scowl looking correct on the miniature itself. If I buy a Viks box for myself she gets a bright and colorful dress, and I might sculpt it a bit long so it's dragging on the ground and obviously WAAAY to big for her. But I do like her widdle sandled toesies... 

I have hopes of finishing off 3 Daydreams and 3 Alps, along with a some other stuff that I've put together in the meantime: Coryphee, Insidious Madnesses, Ice Dancers, and a Bandersnatch. Amusingly, my box of Insidious Madnesses accidentally came with a Blessed of December instead of one Madness, but I'm not complaining - an $8 tradeup and something that i have the card for already?

In future months, I may be dipping into Ressers, if I don't get Rasputina and Titania first to finish off my Arcanists and Neverborn...

• Like 3

@Viruk The eyes on Luther are mind-bendingly well done. 

@wizurielIt looks like the pebbled texture that Iamfanboy is noticing may be caused by spraying primer from too great a distance or under less than ideal conditions, e.g., high humidity.  I have done this to a lot of models, and still struggle with it. 

@iamfanboyThose look great!  The expression on the Student's face is awesome, the way you got the lips to one side like she is contemplating striking something.  Sorry to hear about your close call, and glad you're better! 

• Like 1

@Franchute Nicely painted models! The bases are cool too, except that the water effect has run up the grass tufts a bit - but that's propably only really noticable in pictures.

@Viruk Outstanding! Really like the eyes on Luther.

@prof_bycid Good progress there. Like the bases, but I feel Angelicas may be a bit too tall.  Personal taste really :)

I finished the Beckoner, putting me at 26ss this month.

IMG_4548_zps9g9buvsp.jpg
IMG_4549_zpsoofqhf85.jpg

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Sandmann said:

@Franchute Nicely painted models! The bases are cool too, except that the water effect has run up the grass tufts a bit - but that's propably only really noticable in pictures.

I thought it would be ok because it would like this IRL. Do you think I should pay attention not to touch the grass? The other thing is that the grass is attched to a white surface that I want to hide and I try to cover it up each time I apply my water mixture.

Argh! This month is being quite a pain, between weddings and bacherlor parties I'm struggling to paint. My submit this month will be Leveticus (if I recall correctly, masters count as 15SS) and I'll try to add Mercury (a performer from the Dark Carnival crew). 

@prof_bycid a question for you prof....having been swamped by work it's looking unlikely I'll be able to start and finish new models this month...but....over the last couple of months I added extra models to my pledges that took me over my pledge level but never got completed....would it be ok to finish a couple of those models to keep my tally running ? If you think that goes against the spirit of things then fair enough...but I'd like to save mulligans for later in the year if possible

Good to be back on the forum...Great work everyone ?