New player

Regelridderen

Hi there.

I've decided to get into this little game, as the models just looks too good to pass up on. And I just fell for the western feel of the guild - whats not to like about sixshooters and steampunk?

So I decided to go with the Ortegas, and now I'm considering what to expand with, and as I have absolutely no understanding of the rules, I just got to go with model looks.

So I looked at the Pathfinder, a tracker/hunter seems to make good sense for a cowboy posse. The same with the austringers, they look like 'injun' trackers.

Abuela and the Peacekeeper seems like a fun take on ol' granny with a muscle servant.

So does this sound like it could make for some nice games? And is there anything, that you'd think I'd miss theme and gameswise?

-

BTW: I have a background of 40K and Fantasy, where I preferred playing fast and mobile armies. I also prefer a small elite army - in my current game Infinity, I play Aleph, and like it a lot. I play mostly for the theme/models but prefer a little synergy and cold calculation behind it.

I've been playing guild for a little while, unfortunately I own the Oretagas yet so i can't quite give advice for them but I could give some general Guild advice.

The Peacekeeper is the only model you mentioned that I own and it is pretty great but a costly point investment. If you ever pick up Nellie he works realyl well with her (as just about any model with a strong melee attack). 

Guild can often end up feeling like an elite army depending on the match up and how many big models you bring. There are plenty of games i've played against Gremlins where its been my 7 models against 10 or 11. In those cases you better stick to your guns (no pun intended). What you need to learn about the Guild is that generally they dont do as many fancy tricks as other factions and you're not that durable. What you do get however is good reliable damage, and depending on your models, some interesting scheme marker manipulation. 

Do you have any friends who are interested in joining? If so, i would recommend splitting the started box with them as it comes with Guild and Neverborn models and the ones you get are really good. 

The Ortegas are very elite with generally high attack stats but worse defenses than other models in the same price range. They alao poasess some cool mobility tricks. They need to go in hard and remove enemy models. Aounds like they wouls fit your playstyle.

All of you choices for expansion are very solid and will add useful models. What you don't have at all is cheap models. Cheap models are really helpful in certain strategies and to let your expensive models shine by doing the less glorious jobs like dropping markers that win you the game.

Guild hounds and the brutal effigy are some good cheap choices in my opinion. Watchers are also amazing but are only available in the Hoffmanbox unless you find a store that sells singles.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Guild hounds again look thematically nice. Of course they'll want to 'set the dogs' on people/things. And I'll probably warm up to the Brutal Effigy, once I delve into the fluff - as I don't feel, I really get it. 

And the description of mobile glasscannons really confirms my choice. I'd hate it, if the tactic was an immobile gunline, but winning on movement is what makes a fun game. 

So if my 'wish list' ATM is :

Perdita Crew (a given)

Abuela ( hate to leave family behind )

Peacekeeper ( cuz its a Big Wobot )

Guild Hounds ( cannon fodder - and some mechanic with markers, that I don't get yet )

Pathfinder ( 'cuz magic bear traps is a nasty concept )

Austringers ( 'cuz they're 'injun' )

Brutal Effigy ( as a Franco Nero homage ).

I'll end up spilling around £100. Should I then go cheap and decide to split it up in 'nice to' and 'need to' haves, what would you then recommend?

• Like 1

It's kind of tricky to make a list of priorities. Here is the best I can do. Mileage may vary so hopefully a few others will weigh in.

The peacekeeper can really be a godsend in some games where you need a big durable thing, it's more or less the hardest model in the entire guild to kill. I'd say high priority.

Hounds fill an important role (even if it is just being cheap) so I would put them as high priority.

The brutal is cheap, hard to kill and gives Perdita healing and card draw when she damages stuff (which she does a lot) so high priority.

Austringers are really good, they both help you with schemes, mobility and can do some light damage with a very high stat. They have recently taken a hit in killyness but are still nice for helping out with schemes. Kinda middle prio.

Abuela is family which makes her nice. She also has some built in synergy with the others. She will likely replace one of the models already in the box so if you need to prioritise I might wait a little with her even though she is amazing. Mid prio.

The pathfinder could probably wait even it if brings some utility but it will also compete with a lot of  the choices above so low priority.

11 hours ago, Ludvig said:

It's kind of tricky to make a list of priorities. Here is the best I can do. Mileage may vary so hopefully a few others will weigh in.

Sure, but it makes sense. The Ortegas are good at shooting, so austringers and pathfinder wouldn't bring much new to the game as opposed to a big bruiser, like the peacekeeper. And the hounds, I guess, are throwaway distractions, that I imagine can be a big nuisance. And if I understand the role of the effigy, then it is, like the nephilim, supposed to be a force multiplier.

So a list could be something like this?:

50 SS Guild Crew
Perdita Ortega + 7 Pool
 - Trick Shooting (2)
Enslaved Nephilim (3)
Francisco Ortega (8)
 - Wade In (1)
Peacekeeper (11)
Papa Loco (7)
Brutal Effigy (4)
Guild Hound (3)
Guild Hound (3)
Guild Hound (3)

(exported from CrewFaux)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trikk said:

I would swap Loco with Abuela but it depends on your opponents game level. I found the better my opponents became the more likely Papa blew in my face. I also think now that the Papa box is dead he`s not worth the extra :+fate for one turn.

And I guess, the extra synergy from getting the peacekeeper into the family helps with the movement tricks, that they can do? Or why?

1 hour ago, Regelridderen said:

And I guess, the extra synergy from getting the peacekeeper into the family helps with the movement tricks, that they can do? Or why?

Perdita buffs family models so with the right upgrade on her the peacekeeper gets +2 WP. Perdita can also push towards any family model at the start of her activation so she gains a lot of mobility from having them in the right places. If Nino is in the list any family model also blocks the enemy from interacting within 8" which is huge. Abuela can use family models as a form of defence. 

Even without being family any model in your list can still be pushed by the shackled nephilim so the peacekeeper itself doesn't really need to be family for its own sake.

Thanks guys, I better get myself a little time to wrap my head around the rules and understand the lingo, and then get some games under my belt. So I have a better understanding of whatever, you're talking about :D

But the gist I get is, that in the list above, Papa loco is more of a gimmick, that is likely a waste, but can have a big payoff. That Abuela would be a good substitute, but what if I wait about getting her and use one of the other two guys in the starter set? From trawling the internet, I get the feel, that Santiago and Nino aren't as popular?

I would say papa loco is a double edged sword. When he works, he is great. But there is a chance that he backfires and costs you huge. Now its up to you if this sort of risk/reward is what you want. Some people love it, others hate the inconsistancy of it. 

There are some games where Nino can be a star, and others where he is largely useless, depending on what the scheme pool looks like, and how many interacts he can deny.

My main advice would be to start of buying not very much, play with what you have, and then see how you want to expand your list. The large number of enforcers in the Ortega Posse actually means that it can almost cover a complete 50ss list. If you have good local support, then just buy the box and play it a few times at a size you feel comfortable with. (30-45 is probably a good range to look at).  You might find that you do want to push the shooting feel, and so Austringers, pathfinders and things like the lone Marshall fit what you want. You might feel you are outnumbered, and want more cheap models, so Guild hounds and the brutal effigy are a good way to go. You might want a more durable fighter and go with the peacekeeper, or family tricks and so go with Aubela and Latigo pistolaros. None of those routes are wrong, but they will all give you a different order you want to buy things in. 

If you are remote shopping, and so want a larger initial order for postage purposes or so, (or your local players all play 50ss and only 50 ss) then the crew box and any  1 or 2 of the ones you listed that you think look cool will let you start and see how it goes

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So I finally placed the order. 

The latigo posse, peacekeeper and austringers, and a deck. Those were the stuff, I wanted to paint, the rest will need to get proxied until I find out, whether this game is the thing for me :)

Another question: all those upgrade decks, etc. I guess, they're practical - but what are they really? And what would recommend to get - if any?

• Like 2

The upgrade decks include all the generic upgrade cards printed in the 4 books, so I would recommend them for variation of game.

Same with the scheme and strategy decks, they are also handy for reference in your standard games.

The Campaign deck includes cards that can be used for reference when playing the Shifting Loyalties Campaign.

Each deck covers the needs of 1 person. :) 

Generalist Upgrade Deck [original unnumbered] and Generalist Upgrade Deck Two are the two decks one player needs for faction upgrades, but there's also a brisk trade in people who buy all the decks and then sell off the factions they don't need. Full disclosure: next month, to help make the minimum for the 'Friendly Local Gaming Store' promo* I will be buying both decks and selling off several factions I don't need, including Guild. Get those first. Any master's, henchman's, enforcer's life is made much easier with extra upgrades to choose. Your peacekeeper can be equipped with +1 damage for a turn, or immunity to hostile conditions (so your enemy will not be able to slow it, or give it negatives to attack, or other nasty conditions), or the ability to shut down opponent's auras with no chance to resist...

Scheme and Strategy deck has the core rulebook strats; Gaining Grounds 2017 deck has this year's current refinements of those strats and schemes for tournament play, and slightly better balanced by time and testing. While both sets of rules are freely available either through drivethroughrpg or Wyrd's own site, I like buying one set and keeping two Malifaux tables at the FLGS* supplied with cards** by the side of each table. They make it easier to explain the changing objectives of Malifaux to curious passers-by.

I haven't yet played in a campaign, so I don't know the usefulness of the campaign deck or how many people can share one.

*You said "order", and promos don't usually apply to internet orders. But if you ordered through a Friendly Local Gaming Store with a real retail location--save your receipts! In the month of August the promo is buy $60 USD worth of Wyrd products, fill out the form on Wyrd's website [which will go live later, once the promo starts], and receive a free limited edition figure. This month's promo is an alt-Sybelle for Resurrectionists, but alts can be traded to other players later, roughly on a 1:1 ratio. This is the first time alt-Sybelle has ever been released, so she will have a higher value, and there are plenty of alt figures for Guild and for Perdita's crew in particular that you can trade for. Promos are announced in Wyrd's free e-zine "Wyrd Chronicles" available on drivethroughrpg.

**Sometimes it takes reflipping the strats and schemes a few times before there are two scheme pools with no overlaps except the 'always available'' scheme.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

So I finally placed the order. 

The latigo posse, peacekeeper and austringers, and a deck. Those were the stuff, I wanted to paint, the rest will need to get proxied until I find out, whether this game is the thing for me :)

Another question: all those upgrade decks, etc. I guess, they're practical - but what are they really? And what would recommend to get - if any?

From a game play point of View, I would suggest the upgrade packs in advance of more figures. The general Upgrade packs 1 and 2 contain upgrades that models can use, beyond the ones they get in their crew box. I would probably say that for Guild Pack 2 is slightly more useful than pack one but I would still suggest getting both. 

Pack 1 contains upgrades from The main rule book, and Crossroads. Pack 3 contains upgrades from Ripples of fate. You can just get the rules from those books, but I find cards make crew construction and playing easier for me. 

As Gnomezilla said the decks contain upgtrades for all 7 factions, so if you are only playing 1 faction, you don't need 6/7th of the deck. if you can split it with a friend (Or 7) then its amazing value. But even if you can't I think its going to have a greater effect on your game play than any 1 model box would have. 

• Like 1

The latest upgrades are extremely powerful for guild and since almost every model you own can cqrry debt I wouls certainly look into the generalist upgrades wave 2. Not sure wave 1 offers as much to guild but there are a couple of useful ones there although a bit more situaional.

45 minutes ago, Adran said:

From a game play point of View, I would suggest the upgrade packs in advance of more figures. The general Upgrade packs 1 and 2 contain upgrades that models can use, beyond the ones they get in their crew box. I would probably say that for Guild Pack 2 is slightly more useful than pack one but I would still suggest getting both. 

Pack 1 contains upgrades from The main rule book, and Crossroads. Pack 3 contains upgrades from Ripples of fate. You can just get the rules from those books, but I find cards make crew construction and playing easier for me. 

As Gnomezilla said the decks contain upgtrades for all 7 factions, so if you are only playing 1 faction, you don't need 6/7th of the deck. if you can split it with a friend (Or 7) then its amazing value. But even if you can't I think its going to have a greater effect on your game play than any 1 model box would have. 

https://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/products/wyr20010

https://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/products/generalist-upgrade-deck-2

Those the ones you are talking about?