ITC up in flames

Ludvig

Nice summary, thank you very much for taking the time to share it.

I think that maybe you're a bit harsh on yourself in your final summary, especially considering that your team did come in the middle of the pack.  I know that there were some really strong and experienced players there.

Did you get to play against any model that you had previously discounted in theory-faux and been amazed at its application?

• Like 1

@Argentbadger Thanks, I am usually quite harsh on myself. I did suspect I would be taking a few beatings but I would have hoped for one win at least. I think my witchling handler should really have been a peacekeeper in both my Sonnia games, you need to have something around to keep your opponent honest after they kill Francisco.

Most of the lists I faced felt familiar, both Collodi lists had pretty much the standard stuff. I was glad to see a mannequin in Conor's list because I have wondered why more Collodi players don't bring one of those.

Both Marcus lists were also using the strong models most often mentioned around the internet so no real surprises except for the sheer number of cats.

I was kind of surprised by Ross using Big Jake to mostly hang out on his table edge. In retrospect it was a really solid move since it denied me a lot of points for the strategy. I should probably have just ran back to my quarter and left Jake stranded, he is really good in table control strats.

The biggest surprises for me was probably Math doing so well with Ma Tucket and Travis from Trump Card who ran Tara with six void wretches. I had seen that list posted here and felt skeptical but he really dominated his games with that from what I heard.

Apart from those two, most people that I saw seemed to be doing strong standard builds and not trying weird underappreciated models. Quite a few of the players there are normally hosting podcasts or are active in other ways so I guess what I call "standard" sort of comes from them to begin with.

It shows great character to post losing batreps imo. Thank you for the insight on some of the Euro scene, from us across the pond. The only way to get better at higher level play is learning from mistakes, so you've definitely benefited from the tournament from what I can tell. :+fate

I was wondering how, the Collodi gunline would do in a tourney scene since I've heard relatively little on it's impact and it seems to work otherwise (though it is a tad light on runners in my version).

With regard to mannequins, I think the mentality is usually "1 more SS and my master gets a semi-permanent buff that doesn't take an upgrade slot and the replacement gets good actions to support the crew" i.e. Effigies. That's how I look at it anyway.

I do admittedly want to try a go-for-broke Collodi swarm list with max changelings/mannequins/effigies, a dopple, trapper, and then a few upgrades. Comes right at 50 SS with 12 activations, but besides the gunline stuff the killing potential is weak as piss. Obviously if you get stuck in the ball then that changes things to a risky thousand paper cut death scenarios.

• Like 2

@enderwiggin cheers for the kind words! Writing the game down and trying to learn from it usually gets me in a more productive mindset than moping.

If I had just had some more ranged prescence I could have killed the trapper and neutered that entire flank somewhat so it's risky to rely so heavily on copying from a single model. I got the trapper down to a single wound first turn but didn't finish it off since I didn't have enough ranged models. The following turns he cheated high, including a red joker, to keep it alive.

In a spam list I think the doppelganger can act as a counter-threat if they send in a big beater but the list might risk not having any credible threats besides Collodi if they can take her out.