What do you take against a newbie?

4thstringer

So, for the first time in several years, we have someone brand new to to the game joining our meta.  If you were playing someone brand new in a 50ss game, what would you bring against them.

My ideas include Guild McM because I am awful with him, Hoffman without anything bigger than a hunter, and a lucius pure guardsmen crew.  I was going to use riflemen, but I worry that they will be very effective against a player that doesn't know what he is doing.

• Like 1

playa von schill. he does standard stuff and doesnt  do fancy rabbit out of sleeve gotcha-moment stuff.

or lady J for same reason. a beginner caan focus more on mechanics and  less on "what  do your models do?" because lady j is simple in that regrd. she walks and kills, thats all she does.

I liked your ideas Stringer. Is this person new to gaming entirely or only Malifaux? Some of those aren't powerful but perhaps kinda gotcha. If you do the chihuahua + Sebastian thing with McMourning or go too aggressive with the nurses they may loose their shit ;)

Your Hoffman idea sounds good if you give them a few armor ignoring models.

Guardsman Lucius is of course on of my favourites. I also love witch hunter Lucius against beginners. Sam, a handler and a few stalkers. They showcase conditions, they look awesome and they die to a single focused attack from a lot of stuff ;)

If I run witch hunter lucius, there are two things I have to avoid.  1.  No thralls allowed.   Too good.   2. No surprise first turn sam rapid fires.  Losing a big model first turn isn't fun for anyone.

If I do McM, I am going to focus on using McM as a scheme enabler.  That is something I need to learn anyways, and it doesn't feel so bad losing if you are killing all your opponents models.

• Like 1

As I've said before, Hoffman is an excellent lesson on several levels. Armor and healing means the stompybots stay alive long enough for repetition of attacks. Point out the hunters as the biggest threat to the enemy, watch newbie kill hunters first while watcher schemes, tally points at end of turn and point out that killing does not necessarily equal scoring points. He's confusing for a newbie to run himself, but not too bad on the receiving end I've been told.

• Like 1

I've done McMourning without any upgrades. Without rancid transplant and plastic surgery together he does much less big damage. 

I've used lady J with the starter set models too. She was pretty killy but straight forward.

I think avoiding upgrades and combos with a lot of synergy can make things more straight forward.

• Like 3

I didn't have the option of thralls the laat time I ran him burny so I didn't remember they were witch hunters. ;)

I usually don't have a problem with Sam doing anything useful first turn, the list tends to be out activated if you keep witchlings the cheapest models.

Lucius

Sam with his useless upgrade

Handler, witch hunt

4 stalkers

Thatputs you at 41ss or something. Add a hunter or something?

• Like 1

I always take hoffman to teach people at 50ss because he does some cool unique things with a theme along with having some important key models.  

If someone is completely new to the game however I always teach how the card flip mechanic works followed by a henchman hardcore format.  Just let them pick a cool looking henchman from what you have and make them a list around that. 

• Like 1

I play a normally crew against a newbie.Beacause for me,the learning of the basic game depend much more by the crew hired by the newbie.

For example I played Hoffman against a newbie Titania at his first play.

Extraction,Search the ruins and leave your mark in a single play for Titania is the easiest play by all.

At the end I kill Titania only Beacause he was at his first play.But the game end 9/9.

I like to bring chompy dreamer vs a new player, with a nightmare crew. Teddy is good, they get to see how mean a model can be then promptly kill it and feel good about it. He shows of conditions and some of the tricky things you can do in the game, like change your master onto a monster. I also suck with the dreamer so I think that helps make the experience enjoyable.

• Like 1