Malifaux Tattler: An ITC report

trikk

So as a member of team Polandball we just returned from the ITC.

We left friday evening and landed around 10 PM in Manchester. We went to the Hotel and it turned out they misread our reservation so they gave us a 5 man room for 4 people.

The team we played was:

Lukasz Bober - Gremlins (Zipp)

Riccardo Neri - Resurrectionists (Reva and Nico)

Piotr Miazga - Arcanists (Kaeris)

Maciej Pasek - Neverborn (Lilith, Pandora, Dreamer)

Me - Guild (Nellie)

So we went to Element Games in Stockport the next morning and we saw the NERD HEAVEN. The biggest miniature store I ever saw. The tables were ready. We met the second polish team - Krakowball and we registered. The first pairing would make us play each other but Mike reshuffled so we met...

Game 1: Team Vikings!

I played Rasmus who played Resser McMourning in Squatters Rights on Close Deployment

Squatters rights

Claim jump

Eliminate The Leadership

Recover Evidence

Tail`em

Rasmus had:

McMourning, Decaying Aura, Moonlightning, Plastic Surgery

Sebastian, Those Are not Ours

Rotten Belle

Rotten Belle

Nurse

Chihuahua

Rafkin

Chiaki

Canine Remains

Canine Remains

I had:

Nellie, Guild Funds, Misleading Headlines, Delegation, 7SS

Taelor, Numb to the World, A Debt to the Guild

Francisco, Hermanos De Armas, Wade In

Brutal Effigy

Field Reporter

Watcher

Austringer

Printing Press

I took Eliminate the Leadership and Claim Jump. Rasmus took Tail`em and Claim Jump

Since it was Close deployment and he had 2 Belles I deployed 19" from his deployment. I had a pretty bad hand T1 so I passed like 4-5 activations. Then I started advancing. Nellie managed to push his Belle into open ground and a Fast Francisco used El Mayur and Cover Me on Taelor, then charged the Belle and RJ killed her with his first attack. Meanwhile a watcher on high ground advanced towards the middle, as did Rasmus`s crew.

Turn 2 Rasmus tried to Lure Taelor but she was Wp 9 from El Mayor so he failed. I passed some activations. One dog managed to claim a squatters marker and so did Rafkin with the second and the Belle claimed hers last turn. The watcher reclaimed his marker and Taelor was blocking half his crew because she had Numb so he couldn`t paralyze her or poison her. He started placing a lot of Markers. Taelor killed a dog but after that Sebastian RJ a summon (Rasmus has 2 cards left). McMourning had to walk towards the Squat Marker to give himself the Strategy so he walked, put a scheme marker and claimed a Squatters. Francisco charged him with Fast and dealt 7 damage after prevents. Nellie then hit McMourning with Propaganda 3 times and he was left on 4 Wds after Francisco`s Angry Mob attacks. He also had 1 stone and slow. I declared ETL. I scored CJ from Evidence and he got the Strategy, so it was 3:1

Turn 3 We flipped for Initiative. I got a 2. he got a 4. I reflipped for a 4. We both reflipped and he got a 4 and I got a nice. He stoned and got a 6. I activated Nellie. Fast on Francisco. Propaganda on McMourning. I hit for 1 damage. Angry Mob Kills McMourning. Rafkin kills my watcher. Sebastian summons a second dog. Taelor kills a dog. Reporter flips a marker. I can get to stop him from getting Strategy. His Belle does T

7:2

Turn 4 I was killing his stuff. He used Tail`em on Nellie after I had any options left. We both Scored CJ and Strategy,

9:5

Turn 5, since the time was running out I told him I`ll kill the 1 Wd Belle to stop Tail`em and I won`t be able to stop him from anything else so we decided its his CJ and Strategy vs my Strategy and its a

10:7

The team won all 5 games so we stayed at table 1 to play:

Game 2: Drunk History

I had an Extraction game with Nellie versus Somer (Andrew Weakland)

The pool was:

Extraction on Standard

Claim Jump

Accusation

Frame

Show of Force

Search The Ruins

He had:

Somer with Family Try and Can O`Beans (7SS)

2x Skeeter

4x Bayou Gremlin

3x Stuffed Piglet

Pigapult

Trixie, Dirty Cheater

Slop Hauler

I hadL

Nellie, Embedded, Misleading Headlines, Delegation

Strongarm Suit, A Debt to the Guild

Phiona, Transparency

4x Guild Hounds

2x Freikorps Trapper

Printing Press

I picked Show of Force and FFM (Strongarm). He had FFM Trixie and CJ

Turn 1 I failed 2 trapper shots (which turned out to be a tradition). He summoned 3 Gremlins. I was going around to be within 25" of the pigapult. The pigapult catapulted 3 Gremlins into my line.

Turn 2 I won and my trapper was about the shoot the only Gremlin on the flank but it Two Carded a 13 again.

He moved a Gremlin and placed a Scheme. I passed. Trixie went reckless and gremlin Lured Strongarm. Nellie Gave Strongarm fast and killed a skeeter so he can`t Can O Bean me.

Then it was dog versus Gremlin hell. 1 AP charges versus Reckless. The Green numbers were dwindling. Strongarm killed one. 2 dogs were wounded as well as 3 gremlins. I scored SoF and Extraction. He scored CJ and Extraction. His Pigapult shot 3 times into my stuff and hit once and did 3 damage to a dog. Second Trapper hit a Gremlin for 5. Somer didn`t do anything spectacular.

2:2

Turn 3 He activated Trixie and pushed Phiona with slow with Trixie. Trapper shot Trixie for 4 which was prevented to 3. 

Pigapult shot 3 times into combat and did 3 damage on strongarm but no blasts. Phiona charged and killed a Gremlin. Somer shot Phiona bad. Another Gremlin was killed. Second Trapper shot Trixie and did 6 and she died giving FFM. One gremlin went drunk and reckless. 

I score SoF. I manage to win the strategy marker but we both score

4-6

Turn 4 Trapper still can`t shut the Gremlin. Somer kills Phiona from blasts. Pigapult kills some dogs. Press block Slop Hauler. Strongarm kills another Gremlin. Second Trapper hits Somer for 5. Somer is the only model near Extraction and Strongarm is still alive so its

6:6

Turn 5 Gremlin places another marker. I kill Somer and bring Slop Hauler to 1 Wds.

7:7

So since I don`t have a lot of experience with playing Somer this was a weird game. I felt being beaten turn 2 and 3 but suddenly all the Gremlisn dissapeared and I started controlling the mid field and denied Extraction twice! I should defnitely pick the FFM on Phiona or kill the pesky 2 Wd Gremlin with the Trapper (he loved to Bayou Two Card those 13s) and it would be a pretty decent win!

Kaeris tied Collodi after a very tough game

Zipp won with Rasputina after another tough one (only round without playijng Sandeep, thank you Drunk History!)

Reva won with Shenlong

I tied and Pandora lost to Arash`s Leveticus.

2-2-1 win over the American`s! 

We`re still at the top!

TBC.....

• Like 6

I know you already got your answers at Wyrd Place but the pairing system meant we could put her in Set Up/LYM/DtG each game. Our player doesn`t like Sandeep so he had backup Raspi but ultimately had 5 games with Kaeris and had 3 wins and 2 draws.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, trikk said:

I know you already got your answers at Wyrd Place but the pairing system meant we could put her in Set Up/LYM/DtG each game. Our player doesn`t like Sandeep so he had backup Raspi but ultimately had 5 games with Kaeris and had 3 wins and 2 draws.

I was about to ask the same thing. I also find remarkable that he got such results with Kaeris. Do you think your friend Piotr could share his lists for each or some of his matchups? Or would that would be too much to ask? Some words on the gameplay would be great too.

"Kaeris (grab and drop, reservoir)
Carlos or Arcane Emissary
Myranda with energies
3 mages or 2 gunsmiths
Willie
Raptor
Malifaux Child

Was close to winning 1 more with US team (but lost on 2 severe from stiched on my master) and was most likely to loose with other US team if we played one more turn. But that was the one where everything relied on single initiative flip (run away with Kaeris). Bad things happen in Malifaux."

• Like 3

Great reports, and it seems that you Poland folks are making quite the name for yourselves!

Was it an intentional choice to maximise the use of mercenaries with Nellie?  It seemed that you made the most of the looser hiring restrictions on them.  In particular, I'm interested in the double Trappers.  I find that on a lot of board there aren't really enough firing lanes to make use of two Trappers.  Were the boards quite open?  Or maybe you use them better than I did.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Argentbadger said:

Great reports, and it seems that you Poland folks are making quite the name for yourselves!

Was it an intentional choice to maximise the use of mercenaries with Nellie?  It seemed that you made the most of the looser hiring restrictions on them.  In particular, I'm interested in the double Trappers.  I find that on a lot of board there aren't really enough firing lanes to make use of two Trappers.  Were the boards quite open?  Or maybe you use them better than I did.

I used them in 3 games. 

Game 1 vs Andrew: The board was quite open and I just wanted to put pressure on the Gremlins and possibly kill the slop Hauler. I lost deployment so that kind of ruined my plans (and he had a pigapult) and then I didn`t have 13s to hit while he Bayou Two Carded like 2x13 which tied him the game.

Game 2 vs Robert: It was Corner and Reconnoiter. This was the worst idea, since it was versus Resurrectionists but the Trapper on one corner could give me a hard to contest marker for CJ and shoot something.

Game 3 vs Alex: I had the same plan as w2ith Andrew. Put them 5" towards squat markers and shoot the slop hauler/gremlin. Unfortunately I didn`t have any 13s again and Alex did.

After the games (and talking especially with Alex and Andrew) I decide 1 should be enough and 2 costs a bit too much. I would probably swap 1 for Burt with a Debt now (as with fast he can kill a lot of Gremlins with min 4 with 5 at rams) or another beater (maybe going 3 dogs instead of 4). This way I could put more pressure on the gremlins.

P.S. Thanks, considering your reports were the ones I learned how to play Guild :D