Pub fight! - A Brewmaster Crew Setup and Guide

Lokibri

Hello folks and Bayou inhabitants,

so this is my first „experimental“ build, that doens not contain a typical formation that is recommended from the sources we got like pullmyfinger.

It is called: Pub fight!

And here is the Setup:

The Brewmaster

Binge

Apprentice Wesley

Mancha Roja

Dirty Cheater

Mud Toss

Whiskey Golem

The Sow

Sammy Lacroix

Hold their hair back

Burt Jebsen

This brings us to a total of 50 Soulstones and the plan is clear:

Creat a pub-like environment around the Brewmaster and hit the guys with your melee hard hitters.

So, why did we choose the models we got here?

The Brewmaster:

He is one of the more resilient masters and essential for this setup because he is giving out free drinks that heal models! WOW! Your opponents should appreciate that a little bit more than they usually do. Okay, they get the poison condition and are forced to do it on their turn, if they don`t succeed, but hey...free drinks are free drinks right?

Binge:

I find this card crazy good, because your enemy will pretty early run out of cards early, if you assemble your „Pub“ constellation. Every card hurts them. And sometimes they only got a good suit, we want.

In this build, we will mainly use the drinking contest of course and try to give out some swill, while obeying the enemy model in your Pub-Zone. The drinking contest only has a TN of 12, but with an ongoing game, it will get better and better while draining cards out of the enemy hand he sure has a possibility to fail and even more so with lowering their WP. This will be our main goal and we even got some models, that can help us with. Dont forget to Obey your own minions, doing a nice little hit or taking a run on an objective!

Apprentice Wesley

He is the best totem for Brewmaster. 2nd chances? I like 2nd chances, and here we got one. Plus he can mimic Brewmasters casts and give -1 WP per Poison also, which is pretty nice. Keep him alive! That is why we got some heavy hitters that will protect him!

Mancha Roja

Why would u add a Mancha in this list? Because a Wrestler in a Pub fight, should give you an edge!

He is a solid fighter with the great Upgrade of mud toss, because we dont want any paralyze or slow on our Ball of drinking fighters. He really shines, when we come to the Challenge ability. This will protect your other models and make sure everyone has to do a willpower duel if targeting another model. But what for? Well, what about a little piggy that can smell fear with its three heads? We will come to that later :D. Nevertheless, if the enemy uses coordinated attacks on Mancha, even a wrestler will go down after some time. But, we even got something for that! Do you guys remember when in wrestling some of the contestants went under the ring to get a chair? Well, Mancha also got a chair and folks will call him a Dirty Cheater! So here it is where dirty cheater comes in. We need some more resilience, even though we can heal from the Barkeeper (Brewmaster) and cheating is also nice, so lets also heal when we do this.

The Whiskey Golem

A never ending source of moonshine in a pub? Well, thats quite good for sure! He is the poison spreading machine we want to take the enemy very fast to a low WP level. This one is built to go in deal huge amounts of dmg and poison and go out with a great explosion of moonshine. We want this model to be hit! He even spills some moonshine, when getting attacked AND forces the attacking model to pass a WP 15 duel or end it turn immediately plus getting poison. If this giant construct of moonshine doesnt give out poison, it sure will drain some nice cards out of the opponents hand. The only downside is, that he cannot be healed by a slop hauler. But nevermind...because he has some self-healing that can be used :).

The Sow

Another heavy hitter you will think, right? But this one is an exclusive hitter, that will give your opponent bad dreams at night (even dreamer will have them!). This little piggy can smell fear and that is an incredible good aility to have in a pub. The Sow takes an extra melee attack whenever a WP Duel is lost. Herself bringing a solid terrify all with TN 12 to the pub, is now surrounded by big hitters that give out good dmg or heavy poison. You only need to bring the Sow to the enemy and in a position you deny the enemy more options. Be sure she will have at least one attack when Mancha challenges while Brewmaster giving out free stuff again. I reccommend activating her last, because your opponent won`t this little piggy near to any of his models and it will surely become a high priority target (no worries, mancha will challenge this :)).

Another upside is her ability to drop scheme markers for some piglets. The only way we can interact with that kinda stuff and getting any benefit. Dont underestimate that. By the way, she can heal also, but be careful. With DF4 The Sow will drop very fast if you opponent can reach her without any danger.

Sammy LaCroix

This little gremlin is one of the funniest and most annoying your opponent can face. Even though her scheme marker interaction requires some work, her melee attack is superb, giving out poison and an okay spread on the dmg. The ability to use an upgrade from the brewmaster is the main factor we play her. With the ability to „hold their hair back“ we free up AP for Brewie and give her a chance to paralyze someone on a bit more range. Great for us in those situations and giving out more poison is just awesome!

Burt Jebsen

Burt is a gremlin of all trades and i found him awesome in nearly EVERY setup i played him in. In this case someone could ask what he dies for the crew, because he isnt a melee hitter and he has no poison...so why is he in there anyway? First of all, he is a fast gremlin using reckless to get 3 AP per turn. 2nd he is heavy hitter, but on range, which can be useful when the opponent doesnt want to come in our nice pub. 3rd he has got the crackerjack timing, giving us more options to drain some enemy models in. Ever used Obey to let the enemy walk to our pub and then use crackerjack to let the party follow? It is great! Oh and btw, is it even another willpower trigger we got here? The answer is: Yes, it is! So the Sow is even happier about that! And there is our 4th reason: If we dmg the opponent we can call the Sow from waaaay back to immediately hit and bite the opponent. That will let us keep her safe for a long time to then Pig-Rush in and deal huge amounts of dmg! Burt does so much, he doesnt even need to have an upgrade or poison to justify his place in the crew.

Options:

Lucky Effigy

The Lucky effigy frees Up some Soulstones and also has a challenge action, that can help protect your important models. Also it has some nice upside your opponent won`t count on when facing a gremlin crew. Overall a little less wounds and neither gremlin nor pig, but if you want more soulstones to spread obe, this can be a fine replacement.

First Mate

Slow, Paralyze and the ability to rag more into the bubble of free moonshine? Well, the first mate has seen some crazy things out on the water and is happy to have someone to talk to in the pub. He also synergizes very well with our wrestling buddy and giving out more and more conditions can help you getting the edge before the opponent`s crew is that drunk, that they won't have the chance to do anything. I will try him out in this setup for sure!

Lenny

I mean...it is lenny...lenny is always good and can be in any gremlin crew. He will give some more resilience to your whole crew and give out trigger for mancha. He is also defended by them and can take one or two hits, before going down. He is a solid choice, but i think the other options are better in general because this is a very synergetic build.

Pros and Cons

So, what are we good at?

We are pretty resilient and can deny a LOT of Actions when we can have the pub filled with their and our models. After a while it doesnt matter anymore who is close to Brewie, because no one has any willpower high enough to do anything. This is the state, where it is totally fine to have no whiskey golem anymore or a defeated mancha. As long as the bubble stands, it is also okay to lose wesley due to his own vanishing and becoming the new Brewie or because he was defeated in any way.

We can control a certain field on the map and bring the opponent to the edge of going crazy because he can`t do anything. This will probably cost a friendship, but hey you are a gremolin now anyway! And you got new friends in the pub! If we get the Turf War, this will be a very nice vrew to have.

A Line in the Sand, cursed object or other things that require your opponent to spend AP on anything will be great for your crew. Even breakthrough is managable. With this crew it is superb to take a prisoner, because you dont want to kill anything at all means. It is just enough to make them unable to do anything else.

What we are not good at

We lack ranged attacks and by that i mean Burt is the ONLY one with a decent range attack. We dont want to face snipers or even worse...Belles (in any living or non-living form). Try to get them out with obey or just let the whiskey golem rush in and do as much damage as he can, before exploding in a great wave of moonshine. That gives us the opportunity to follow up with the Brewmaster. Those crews tend to be in one place in order to receive the most benefits from they synergetic crews. This is the upside we got here. If we reach them in their starting zone, they will probably stay there forever, I call this tactic „house party!“, because obviously we are bringing the drinks.

Another difficult task is to face AoE damage. Burts of any kind can be negated by the healing provided by Brewie, but it will cost AP to do so, which we lack later to get scheme markers or other things like Posion spreading. While mitigating most bursts because we also got quite a good Wd pool around, constant AoE dmg can overwhelm us after some time. One of the nastiest things we can face is a Black Blood crew or a Pandora with ghosts in place. They dont have to do anything then sticking around and spread their triggers. This is where our heavy hitter team comes in and smack them to eternity. If they surive it is even worse playing against black blood, because every poison dmg will trigger it. Get those guys out of your bubble asap! So, we got a possible solution for that, too.

What we do not have is a solution for heavy AoE Dmg like Wong or Kaeris can do. If they blast us...the party will be over in no time. This is the fun police we will have a hard time with. What can we do about it? Remember the Burt trick with the Sow? Try that to get those models in a melee fight and follow it up with obey or something else that bring them out of safety and to our pub-area.

Mancha has also quite a good charge when stand next to certain terrain, but that is everything we got here...no fun if we face them.

Strategy

So this is where your strategy gaming comes in. You have many heavy hitters and you CAN smack your opponents, but you are not forced to do so to win! This crew will just try to survive and score point after point in each round your opponent doesnt deny them, which is preeeeety difficult when it requires running into the „Pub-area“. So this is the place to be!

What we dont want is a strategy that forces us to spread, because for a gremlin Crew we dont have that many models. Narrow terrain placement can favour us quite a lot, but be careful how you stack your models. Yes, mistakes were made :D.

So, i hope you find this little guide interesting and inspirational and i hope you will discuss that list, because i am quite sure i missed some things you sure will point me to :).

Thanks for the time and

See You in the Bayou!

• Like 3

Hey epicwaffle,

i don't quite see your point i must admit.

In this crew you really only want to be "obey" succesful. Everything else is a nice bonus. If i compare this setup to a standard wong setup...i burn cards like hell with wong and it is not unusual to be through my entire deck within 1 round. The Sow has enough opportunities with smell fear. The Whiskey golem, Mancha and Burt got a decent hit count and the brewmaster doenst need anything except obey. Wesley is a passive debuff and crackerjack is on the opponent to fulfill.

It is even better for us: We dont burn many cards but the opponent has to caused by all those triggers and WP Duels.

So i have to disagree here, although i really liked that you responded :).

And yes, Francois could be a nice addition to it. Maybe with Old Cranky inseatd of wesley to keep the attacks going for him :D.

See you in the Bayou!

2 hours ago, Lokibri said:

Hey epicwaffle,

i don't quite see your point i must admit.

In this crew you really only want to be "obey" succesful. Everything else is a nice bonus. If i compare this setup to a standard wong setup...i burn cards like hell with wong and it is not unusual to be through my entire deck within 1 round. The Sow has enough opportunities with smell fear. The Whiskey golem, Mancha and Burt got a decent hit count and the brewmaster doenst need anything except obey. Wesley is a passive debuff and crackerjack is on the opponent to fulfill.

It is even better for us: We dont burn many cards but the opponent has to caused by all those triggers and WP Duels.

So i have to disagree here, although i really liked that you responded :).

And yes, Francois could be a nice addition to it. Maybe with Old Cranky inseatd of wesley to keep the attacks going for him :D.

See you in the Bayou!

My point being that a 6 paired with a 5 is less than a 3 with a 13 :) to better explain, I understand the plan,but you're putting yourself in the hands of fate rather than controlling it.  Might be my case only, but in my meta people know what staying close to brewie means, so no one will rush to him knowing it will be stuck with brewie for 5 turns so sure, you might end up getting an executioner or even 2 stuck with you, but it will require a good amount of cards to achieve so. In the mean time, your opponent is minding his own buisness and here's where the rest of the models kicks in. And here goes the same speech, a six is a good value but it's not an automatic succes. You might be really good  with your card management, or lucky with the deck, but a list like this is card hungry even to simply defend against your opponent attacks (Mancha in my experiences eats through your cards quite fast just to survive, same for the sow, and I don t want my 10ss investment to die turn 2, or deal 2 damages a turn). But it's my p.o.v. and I like the idea behind this list. Just saying that those are all models that I would want to work, not simply try their luck and see how it goes, and Sammy is the only one I could see failing her actions (but she's also the only one who mitigates her card usage with Bayou two cards). Maybe removing some hitter for some minions? This would allow you also to have some cheap activations for schemes etc.

• Like 3

Hey waffle,

thank you very much for your response. Now i can see your point a bit better and i have to partially agree.

Sammy really is worth her points and the only one that gives some kind of card/suit manipulation.

So what i thought was, that maybe wesley isn`t totally necessary and could be replaced with a totem that helps Brewie with some kind of card manipulation.

Maybe Old Cranky is an option here, but i find it too good to have the chance for a 2nd Brewie.

I dont see any other option to be honest.

Anyone else got some idea?

• 4 months later...

Don't forget - with Mancha Roja's ability to destroy Paralysed opponents, Swill, Z Obey, The Sow & the Upgrade "Hold Their Hair Back" can all combine to set things up for him to do some filth!

If you're terribly worried about Blasts etc tho, have a look at getting Merris LaCroix in there. She doesn't really fit the bar scene tho, does she? She needs to be FREE! Free to FLY!! Drunk tho, of course!

Not taking the new upgrade for Brewie?

A Barkeep Never Sleeps

Just played a tournament with Brewie, and this thing is brutal. I didn't think it would be so good, but I had to give it a chance. I ran it AS WELL as a Wesley in the list.

Wesley just died? Summon a new one. Brewie just died? Summon a new one. 3 Poison damage everywhere? Well, this bit isn't actually that easy to pull off, but worked well in one game that's for sure. This card makes Brewmaster competitive. 

Only 4 games, but this card helped win 3 of those. It's the psychological factor. Faced by all the respawns, your opponent often just doesn't bother and tries something else. Plus, in games when you need to control something, it can help to have a suicidal Wesley charge off somewhere, die, and respawn where you need him - next to Brewie - with a free AP! :D

15 hours ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

Not taking the new upgrade for Brewie?

The thread is from May, so the new upgrades would likely affect the original post haha

Yeah, I am really excited to try out the poison effect on that upgrade. 3 damage is enough that things get weakened to the point of being in danger from my other models.

I've been using Brewie with Mancha and Wrastlers to great effect. Calling it my Drunken Wrastlin' Federation. Both models benefit a lot from Brewie's support and do well in the drinking contest. 

50 SS Gremlins Crew
The Brewmaster + 5 Pool
- A Friendly Ear (1)
- Hold Their Hair Back (1)
- Binge (1)
Apprentice Wesley (3)
Mancha Roja (10)
- Mud Toss (1)
Trixibelle (8)
- Quality Mash Liquor (2)
- A Gun For A Lady (1)
Wrastler (5)
Wrastler (5)
Performer (6)
Akaname (4)

Used this list to great effect the other day.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

Dont use hold their hair back. Swill an opponent then use mancha and make him get paralyzed reliably, since the df duel is on (-) and just finish him with a second atk and the "finisher".

Kills any beater in 2 Attacks and a swill.

I know that is the general consensus, I like to try out things that normally don't get used to see if they have any value. Wanted to see if I could make it work since Brewie could paralyze with it and Obey the finishing blow in the same activation.

It didn't work out, but I'm going to be doing some more testing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the opportunity to test this build out in a 3 round tournament and i had a blast with it !

I didn`t think it would go this way, but i successfully won all of my matches and took best painted (i just competed just for fun) :D.

Here is my Crew-List and a summary of what was outstanding!

The Brewmaster

A Barkeeper never sleeps

An ear to talk to

Apprentice Wesley

Mancha Roja

Whiskey Golem

Barrel Up

Trixiebelle

Sammy Lacroix

Binge

Burt Jebsen

Dirty Cheater

First round was a blind deployment with cards face down and then deployment one after another. My opponent played the Crew-Box of Lady J and a pretty new player. This gave me the opportunity to instantly run into Lady Justice, The Judge and a nearby Guild Marshal that took them in for a drinking contest. Giving out Swill on Judge and Lady J did great for me, because both began stacking up poison this way. The Whiskey Golem fought off another big model from the guild, healing himself and just staying in the fight, while mancha roja piledrived a guild marshal recruiter into oblivion. Sammy used binge effectively before lady j could activate and took out 2 cards with two-digit numbers with 1 AP - 1 for cheating and 1 for discarding. Burt survived an attack from a marshal and hit him back to finish him off later. After that turn the poison grew and lady J had no chance to cleanse all conditions after i cheated initiative in round 2 and put her with Wesley at -6WP and Swill, while mancha challenged. She couldn`t resist the alcoholic pleasures and conceded. It was a pretty harsh lockdown and i felt kinda guilty after that game, but tried to cheer him up and gave him some tips.

Game 2 was against a well-known Crew of a friend of mine. This time corner deployment against a Lillith Crew that focused on hazardous terrain.

Lillith Crew: Lillith with some upgrades, her Totem, Emissary, Lilitu, Barbaros, 2 terror tots and some more upgrades on some models.

Strategy and Schemes: The Ritual (placing the exact amount of ritual markers on your and opponents side), Protect Territory, Deliver a message, Assassinate and another one no one took ^^.

He began with laying down terrain markers and summoning changelings while i pushed his Emissary, Barbaros and Lilitu back and triggered the slow 2/3 times even using soulstones for it. He had a chokepoint, because he let me choose sides. This chokepoint allowed me to pretty much create a pretty big clump of models. Turn 2 he tangle shadowed over to Burt and Sammy and i used slippery to split the attacks evenly, so both survived. I delivered the revealed message and scored 3 points. Trixie pushed the slowed Barbaros and Lilitu against the edges of the map and the emissary again a bit back after he created more hazardous terrain, which was now also hazardous for his crew because lillith was gone. We both scored the Strategy. Round 3 was pretty much the same I binged his lillith while pushing back Barbaros and Lilitu, which were pretty much useless and had to fight the triggered slow all the time. It was a very, very suspending game, because no one wanted to go into the pther crew. A great standoff and we both scored 3 points for protect territory.

Game 3

Jakob Lynch: some Upgrades, Jasunori, Hungering Darkness, Shadow Emissary, the lone Ninja one, 2 illuminated

Strat was for him to kill 2 models of me in 1 turn, i had to write down a model that releases the carver when killed. I chose Wesley.

His Schmes: Claim Jump (unrevealed), Cursed Object     my Schemes: Take Prisoner, Cursed Object

He instantly charged to the middle and tried to get into position, while i pushed some illuminated back and brought wesley into position to be killed and beneath Burt Jebsen to target him also. Sammy Binged all the time and took cards out of his hands. I charged the hungering darkness with the golem and engaged Yasunori, Mancha came along and finished the darkness. I brought Brewie in and obeyed golem into position.

Turn 2 i won initative with cheating and went for the contest, Gave out swill on Yasunori and killed him afterwards with Mancha and called out for a challenge. He revenged the death of yasunori and killed mancha within seconds with jakob and after that whiskey with the emissary.  The Ninja couldnt kill my wesley...because he flipped too well! With the second attack Wesley also had the chance to be pushed away and i pushed him closer to Brewie who was on comfortable 8 wounds...i thought...Turn3 we flipped for initiative and i felt comfortable but got a very bad hand (best card was a 9). He was desperate enough to spend a Soulstone and flip for initiative and jokingly said "Ha, i just need a RJ and i go first!" and... he DID! He flipped the RJ, went first and killed my Brewie with 4 "play for blood" casting actions and winning them all! I had no Stones left and so died...within 6 of Wesley and suddenly i had a new Brewie on my hands. Running into him and starting another drinking contest and i also got the carver and used him to charge his ninja. We just discussed the end and i had take prisoner and scored some more points and we ended up with 5/3 6/3ish finale.

And that was it :). The card draining Brewie was better than expected and the new upgrades REALLY helped him A LOT!

Trixiebelle was just a BEAST! She won me the 2nd game and was incredible! I will include her in some other crews too, now :D.

So, in a slightly diversified list i can assure you, it was not as card hungry as i thought it would be and the whiskey golem did a pretty good job, even though he is kinda costly :D. 1 or 2 points less would help him a lot to see more play :).

I hope you enjoy this and try him out a little bit more. Give brewie a chance :D

• Like 3

Oh and just a little additional information for you guys and a playing tip:

Dont overload Brewie with too many Upgrades. He really isn`t that sustainable and if he dies, he loses all of his upgrades. A friendly ear and A Barkeeper never sleeps should be enough, but i wouldn`t go beyond 2 upgrades on him. I love using Sammy for Binge and Sammy in general is a great addition to this crew. If you really want to push the boundaries, try to add the "lucky effigy". He can do some nice work after winning the initiative for yourself giving out the 0 for brewie to take less damage and calling out a "hit me" AND you have the chance to immediately activate Brewie because of the effigies accomplice. A beastin my opinion in this Crew!

See you in the Bayou (drunk or not ^^)

2 hours ago, Lokibri said:

Oh and just a little additional information for you guys and a playing tip:

Dont overload Brewie with too many Upgrades. He really isn`t that sustainable and if he dies, he loses all of his upgrades. A friendly ear and A Barkeeper never sleeps should be enough, but i wouldn`t go beyond 2 upgrades on him. I love using Sammy for Binge and Sammy in general is a great addition to this crew. If you really want to push the boundaries, try to add the "lucky effigy". He can do some nice work after winning the initiative for yourself giving out the 0 for brewie to take less damage and calling out a "hit me" AND you have the chance to immediately activate Brewie because of the effigies accomplice. A beastin my opinion in this Crew!

See you in the Bayou (drunk or not ^^)

I take the lucky Effigy in Brewmaster for his Atk. Brewy is the only master who can make the lucky effigy hit things and holy shit does the lucky effigy hit hard for a 4ss minion. I love to play ama no zako and the effigy in Brewmaster and melt people since lw Ml stats are kind of solved by swill on the targets.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, the whiskey golem fulfills a key role how i play itby pushing him in and charging into as much enemies as possible to then explode and spread the good stuff.

But, what you can certainly do, is putting 1-2 Moon Shinobi in and let them fulfill the job. They are not as bad, as many people say and with swill on them, the become pretty decent. Just keep in mind to have some "average" card in hand to get the double minus and transfer them into double positives. With the trigger for poison they can fulfill the job as well to initiate poison on models. They are pretty fast when getting dmg from poison.

Another very good option i am trying out at them moment are Tanuki. Oh boy! I love those little drunken guys and the are more resilient, than you think. They are create a minefield of drunkenness and with a Fingers or something you can lay down the scheme marker for additional poisoning, even when engaged. I would highly recommend them :).

And there is of course Fingers. He is a very good model with chatty and a very good poison attack. He can really shine in some scenarios, but keep in mind he doesn`t take as many hits as the good old golem :)

I think both are fairly nice to sue with if you don`t have acces to the whiskey golem (yet!) ;).

I would recommend to have at least one tanky hitter in your crew to start a fight and let Brewie follow up. That normally leads to a dead tank, but a good position for Brewie.

See you in the Bayou :)

3 hours ago, I'm a Teapot! said:

200% Trixiebelle & Fingers

others:

- Tanuki + Whiskey Golem

- Mancha Roja

- Lucky Effigy

- Ama No Zako

- The Sow

I can asure you 200% Trixie, but fingers is not as important as people think, BUT he is in the box and for sure a very good model.

Tanuki are great, but also not an evergreen. Same as golem

Effigy and Mancha Roja are also very nice.

I found Sammy in 100% of my lists.

Sow is a nice addition.

6 hours ago, Lokibri said:

I can asure you 200% Trixie, but fingers is not as important as people think, BUT he is in the box and for sure a very good model.

Tanuki are great, but also not an evergreen. Same as golem

Effigy and Mancha Roja are also very nice.

I found Sammy in 100% of my lists.

Sow is a nice addition.

Well ok, from an unbiased point of view I would say Fingers around 70%, but that little dude has scored more then 70% of my overall gremlin Scheme-VP and hasnt let me down until today. In my opinion, Fingers is the man. =D

3 hours ago, I'm a Teapot! said:

Well ok, from an unbiased point of view I would say Fingers around 70%, but that little dude has scored more then 70% of my overall gremlin Scheme-VP and hasnt let me down until today. In my opinion, Fingers is the man. =D

I can totally understand you and i still have it on my list for the paint and as soon as i can, i will put some colour on it :).

It is a shame i don`t use him atm :)