Welcome to Wyrd Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KID55

Marlena 17/5/2017

55 posts in this topic

It is a pity that although in the Divergent Path Marlena left with Leveticus, but she does not bring much help for Leveticus. Her Soul Tether is not especially needed by Leveticus. Playing for him even very aggressively, I never use it. The Steadfast protector is too complex and requires many conditions. I hoped that Marlene could give the suit in some way. This would add synergy to the team.

She's only linked to Leveticus thematically. Crunch-wise, she's there for combat Masters who need the Tether to not get killed by the enemy crew. She's also a solid model on her own.

I only wish her Teddy's claws had some sort of Komainu-related soul-rending effect that fits the storyline (Komainu give out Burning and Slow, I would be fine with any of those). @Aaron, any chance for that happening?

Her abilities are already powerful despide her lowish defensive stats for an 8SS model, but something thematic might work.

1 person likes this

She would be nice if she had abominations summon on her attack. I don't think that giving her ability to give suits for leaders is good option to be honest- victorias would have 100% chance on triggering whirlwind, Misaki would have auto assasinate, VS would have additional ram for his knife (and with her, engineer, SS spent and card his damage track would be 6/7/10 ignoring armor) , Hamelin could summon second Stolen without spending stone...

3 people like this

i remember somebody suggesting to her in a reverse slingshot viks crew. i tried that but i found it to be less effective then the normal one cause ashes can only get a + for the attacking flip while blood has for both. that and the fact that her cast is 5 for her shooting action is kind of disapointing.

I'm really into the model :o

But her card seems rather odd. Keeping your master alife is cool. But paying 8 SS for it is way 2  much.

Adding something to her melee or shoot would make her attacks less underwhelming for her price. Let it be desolate warping or just anything...

Her steadfast protector sounds...  very niche. IF a friendly  marker is removed and IF the marker iswithing 5" and IF Marlena isnt engaged and IF she drops a card and IF she can push into base contact... the marker isnt removed. Talk about "IF"s.

1 person likes this

Yes Steadfast Protector is very ponderous. Mentioned in the previous thread but I'd  suggest :

":aura5 Discard a card when an Enemy action or ability would  remove a friendly scheme marker. The marker is not removed."

Something like this would be clearer and a lot more useable. Other than playing against Parker having your scheme markers removed by and enemy isn't very frequent. There are much worse things already in the game like Fingers,  who's :aura6 stops all enemy interactions.  

1 person likes this

I tried her in most of outcast masters (except hamelin and Jack) and i was dissappointed. Pay 8ss 4 only thread action if y alredy hav hard to kill from upgrade; is better to  hire libra instead.
I think there are 3 ways to make her playable:

1. give her ill omen ability

2.give her restricted upgrade to each master ( like emisary) e.g for viktorias:

This model raceive sister characteristic

This model can target soul thethre ability frendliy sister after succeeding transfer all thered condytion to frendly leder.

3. Make her henchmen and give her +1MI and Ca for attack action

Sorry for my english.

6 hours ago, Von said:

... I think there are 3 ways to make her playable:

1. give her ill omen ability

2.give her restricted upgrade to each master ( like emisary) e.g for viktorias:

This model raceive sister characteristic

This model can target soul thethre ability frendliy sister after succeeding transfer all thered condytion to frendly leader...

While we are asking for impossible things, I would like her to be available to construct masters as well: just add it where Steadfast Protector is now! (please, please, please no Ill Omens for Viktorias)

It might be Ok that she gets a little better on one attack, and I absolutely support losing the push on scheme marker protection or making it a 'may' push instead of having to move.

How about giving her Sammy's Good Student ability, allowing her to take one upgrade specific to the Master she's being hired by, perhaps neglecting the part that prohibits others taking it if it doesn't have a rare limit?

Taking Hamelin's Sewer King upgrade for example would allow the hiring of Lost models, and give her the Useless Toys ability. Desolate Soul from Leveticus would give three models in the crew able to summon with a ranged attack, or she could just take the other of his Pariah upgrades. Sisters in Fury would free up AP for the Viktorias. So on and so forth.

5 people like this

I played few games with her and she is good model, maybe bit overpriced for what she does - her abilities and actions are overshadowed by Soul Tether in my opinion. It's very powerful ability, as it allows to have immortal master, especially when combined with survivalist. there are few problems with her besides her cost - her Ca is too low, especially if we consider that it's attack against willpower and Steadfast Protector is also not a great ability. Giving her good student is nice idea, however we should consider all problematic upgrades that she could attach (eg. Sisters in fury, one of Pariah upgrades, Desolate Soul - although nobody would pick it on her since in such scenario both Levi and Alyce would be unable to take it). Changing Steadfast protector for something useful and raising her Ca up to 6 would also fix many problems she has now. Reducing her cost is not an option, as it would make her autopick for everyone.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Freman said:

How about giving her Sammy's Good Student ability, allowing her to take one upgrade specific to the Master she's being hired by, perhaps neglecting the part that prohibits others taking it if it doesn't have a rare limit?

Taking Hamelin's Sewer King upgrade for example would allow the hiring of Lost models, and give her the Useless Toys ability. Desolate Soul from Leveticus would give three models in the crew able to summon with a ranged attack, or she could just take the other of his Pariah upgrades. Sisters in Fury would free up AP for the Viktorias. So on and so forth.

I could see this working and it would justify her cost. I think that   @Von was thinking about smth similar to that. 

So you want her to not only free Viks AP but also make sure she has survivalist so she needs 3 extra shot per turn to kill her?  Unless you give good student but take away Soul Tether then it might make sense 

I think you guys are seriously underestimating her. I think the Ca6 seems a fine idea. Simplyfying Protector also.

6 people like this

Agreed. She feels like an eight stone model, so we just need to make her worth eight stones.

Soul Tether is very strong, but it's rather like Apprentice Wesley for the Brewmaster. You're trading her wounds to keep your Master alive, and unless you keep a Librarian on hand to heal her she probably won't be doing that more than once or twice per game.

Df (:mask) "Teddy Help" Fluffy given her story, and useful if you have a low :mask to throw into a combat that you're not going to win anyway.

Armour +1 Well, she is a construct. Appropriate.

Steadfast Protector This seems like a fairly large lump of text for an ability that doesn't seem that important in game. I'm not even sure what relevance it has to her fluff, although I could have missed something. Good Student could replace this without too much hassle in my opinion.

Protector's Claws (Ml 6/Rst: Df/Rg: :melee2) 2/4/5 with trigger on :ram, which she can get from the Freikorps Engineer.

Entropic Withering (Ca 5:tome/TN: 10:tome/ Rst: Wp/Rg: :ranged10) 2/3/4 ignores hard to wound and hard to kill. While the ignores are good, and the :crowLingering Entropy trigger is handy, Ca 5 seems a bit low for eight stones. Ca 6:tome feels better, especially when considering it targets Wp, which is one of the more variable stats in the game, ranging from 1 (Lenny) up to 9 (El Mayor Perdita).

Quick Stitching (Ca 5/TN: 12:mask) Summon  a Wicked Doll from a scrap marker. I love this. It's fluffy, and Wicked Dolls don't suck. She'll need a supply of scrap, of course, and that might be a little harder to come by. Perhaps putting a trigger on one of her attacks that allows her to generate a scrap marker when she hurts or kills an enemy model? Alyce with From Aether will be her constant companion otherwise. Otherwise Joss or a Large Arachnid in an Iron Leveticus crew.

3 people like this

Does "Teddy Help" apply against ranged attacks? Because that would be funny. Shot by a Trapper, 28 inches away. "Teddy, Help!" and she's pushed away as the Teddy rushes across the board and rips two wounds off the Trapper, one after armour of course.

3 people like this

She really just doesn't come together for me as is. I mean sure she's scary in the Viks, but that's often going to be a one-and-done sort of use, simply because of the Vik's speed vs Marlena's, and the fact that Blood tends to be the disposable blender vs Ash, especially with Eliminate on doubles. I also think that the issue with the Viks is more one of "how to play vs the Viks" and less one of "Marlena makes the Viks too good."

That being said.

I really like the idea of Good Student, even keeping it as worded on Sammy. There are a lot of Masters in Outcasts with more cool Upgrades than they have slots, and so many of the "less optimal" ones get left in the dust most of the time simply because they can't actually fit everything they want. 

Steadfast Protector is too wordy and too conditional, all for an effect that's only sometimes useful. I'd much rather it be either dropped all together, changed to a flat aura with no extra costs, or changed to protect resources that are more limited than scheme markers. 

At the moment her CA action feels more like a finisher or a way to deliver the trigger than anything else right now. I'm loathe to rely on it at all without committing a to it without banking a high card to make it go off. Even then with a CA 5 I can't rely on it, since my opponent can likely cheat higher with the same value card.

Quick Stitching is a situational ability that I think is fine as is. It won't come up all that often, but if it does it's definitely handy. 

My biggest complaint is that for the things she does reliably right now, I can hire a Librarian for a stone less and be most effective most of the time.

2 people like this

Replace Steadfast Protector with Good Student and Creative Salvage. Creative Salvage is fluffy, given her relationship with Leveticus, and it will help her generate some scrap if she ever manages to kill something.

6 people like this

4 minutes ago, Freman said:

Replace Steadfast Protector with Good Student and Creative Salvage. Creative Salvage is fluffy, given her relationship with Leveticus, and it will help her generate some scrap if she ever manages to kill something.

I'd say she's way too good with Good Student for her cost. Saving masters- and its not just Viks but Barrows, Jack and Schill too. She has a good shooting attack if you make it Ca6. A decent melee attack. Is tanky- 8wds with Armor is 8 min 2 shots or 4 min 3 shots.

She also has summoning, a very good Df trigger and protector

I also don't see it from your opponent perspective but putting 7 Wds into Ash with HtK to the put 6 Wds in Ash witb HtK is very hard after you get whirlwinded. And it costs you one 10

2 people like this

Okay, drop Good Student and keep Creative Salvage. It makes her self supporting no matter whose crew she's in, and it's fluffy as hell.

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, Freman said:

Okay, drop Good Student and keep Creative Salvage. It makes her self supporting no matter whose crew she's in, and it's fluffy as hell.

What a Good Student and Creative Salvage?

10 minutes ago, KID55 said:

Creative salvage says that when it kills aodel the dead model drops a scrap marker in addition to any other markers - Joss has it. And good student is Sammy lacroix's thing - it lets her take an upgrade with the restriction of the master of the crew (e.g., she often takes one of the two limited upgrades Wong has access too)

3 people like this

Oh! I think it's cool!

Especially creative salvage.

If I had my way, I'd rather see her get Good Student and cuddles in other areas to keep it semi-balanced. But that want might be a good reason to not give it to her. I think it could be reworded to be balanced (non-limited, for instance), but it would be a fine line. 

Creative Salvage would be awesome, especially with a buff to CA6, since she ignores HtW and HtK. I don't think a dearth of Wicked Dolls would break any masters, and having the option to reliably pad activations in crews like VS and Parker would be great. Maybe the Desperate Merc would have a place alongside her to generate a Scrap and a SS? Alternatively an Abom would drop 2 markers. 

9 minutes ago, KID55 said:

Good Student: When Hired into a crew led by a Master, this model may purchase one non-Avatar Upgrade with a restriction of the Master's name, ignoring restrictions. No other models in the crew may attach the same Upgrade. Any references to the Master's name on the upgrade count as this model's name.

Creative Salvage: Models killed by this model drop a Scrap Marker in addition to any other Markers dropped.

4 people like this

Marlena rubbed the back of a dirty hand across her face, leaving another smear, and pulled awkwardly at the satin dress that was just too big for her. "Teddy?" She called. "Where are you?" She heard a rumble from behind a pile of scrap that Mr Leveticus kept at the back of his shop, and followed the sound.

With a startled cry she fell backwards as one of the massive Malifaux Rats leapt at her, then heard a sudden roar as a furry shape lunged at it, claws glowing with an eerie light. The rat came apart, unraveled by the Teddy's fierce attack, and yet as it did an skein of silver fell from its remains. Unbidden Marlena's hands rose, grasping the threads. She felt the wild magic of Malifaux fill her, flow through her, wonderful, terrifying. Under her flying fingers a shape took form. Black furry skin from the dead rat, stuffed, held together with the silver cord. She held in her hands a small white stone, and with a surety she didn't know she possessed she thrust it into the heart of her new toy. Seams were sealed, the doll stood before her, polished eyes reflecting the light. Where had those large button eyes come from? Marlena wondered. It looked at her, asking an unspoken question.

"Dance!" She told the doll. It moved, faltering at first, and then more smoothly. She laughed in delight as her Teddy stood by, no expression on its inhuman face, in its inhuman eyes, but watchful, ever watchful.

The ancient mechromancer lowered the hand he had placed over his companion's gun. Whatever the opinion she expressed about the girl, Alyce's revolver had rocketed from leather when she witnessed the attack. "I was just going to put her out of her misery." Was her unnecessary explanation.

"Indeed." Leveticus stroked his jaw reflectively. "It appears there is much more to our little friend than meets the eye."

5 people like this

15 minutes ago, Freman said:

Marlena rubbed the back of a dirty hand across her face, leaving another smear, and pulled awkwardly at the satin dress that was just too big for her. "Teddy?" She called. "Where are you?" She heard a rumble from behind a pile of scrap that Mr Leveticus kept at the back of his shop, and followed the sound.

With a startled cry she fell backwards as one of the massive Malifaux Rats leapt at her, then heard a sudden roar as a furry shape lunged at it, claws glowing with an eerie light. The rat came apart, unraveled by the Teddy's fierce attack, and yet as it did an skein of silver fell from its remains. Unbidden Marlena's hands rose, grasping the threads. She felt the wild magic of Malifaux fill her, flow through her, wonderful, terrifying. Under her flying fingers a shape took form. Black furry skin from the dead rat, stuffed, held together with the silver cord. She held in her hands a small white stone, and with a surety she didn't know she possessed she thrust it into the heart of her new toy. Seams were sealed, the doll stood before her, polished eyes reflecting the light. Where had those large button eyes come from? Marlena wondered. It looked at her, asking an unspoken question.

"Dance!" She told the doll. It moved, faltering at first, and then more smoothly. She laughed in delight as her Teddy stood by, no expression on its inhuman face, in its inhuman eyes, but watchful, ever watchful.

The ancient mechromancer lowered the hand he had placed over his companion's gun. Whatever the opinion she expressed about the girl, Alyce's revolver had rocketed from leather when she witnessed the attack. "I was just going to put her out of her misery." Was her unnecessary explanation.

"Indeed." Leveticus stroked his jaw reflectively. "It appears there is much more to our little friend than meets the eye."

=3