Rasputina

Searos

For Rasputina the Frozen Heart models are really, really useful, in theme and besides many of them are very good.  In the end I'd get all of them, Raspy is lucky in that her theme models (outside of the box which is average) are exceptional.

But in order of usefulness I'll put the good models (IMO) into 3 tiers first essential FH, second great FH and third great non-FH:

Tier 1:

• Snowstorm is the Raspy henchman and it adds mobility to her crew, excellent model and while you won't include it in every crew you'll want the option.
  • December Acolyte because it is simply put one of the best and most cost efficient models in the game and also FH, can't think of a reason not to take one in every Raspy crew.

Tier 2, these models are amazing but not quite as core "in every crew considered" as above:

• Silent Ones, additional spell casting FH and heals so awesome model.
  • Blessed of December 9/10 what you take instead of the Ice Golem, not as punchy but far faster, better Df and so will do more damage and disrupt more plans then the Golem almost every time.
  • Ice Dancers are a fast scheme runner in a crew which badly needs them and have enough tricks and durability to be good, they are Raspy's first choice scheme runners in Arcanists because they add more FH utility.

Tier 3, not FH but Arcanist and mercs which are always worth considering:

• Arcane Effigy adds a little condition removal and is a nice cheap, durable and useful activation.
  • Johan is the condition removal all around solid mercenary model, no real synergy with Raspy but still a solid piece.
  • Malifaux Raptors are cheap activation's with amazing utility and disruptive abilities, simply always worth considering.  As an addition if you take the Raptors adding Angelica with Practiced Productions upgrade is well renowned as a little bit dirty and a whole lot of broken in certain scheme pools.

That is it.  The Arcanists have many other excellent models all of which Raspy can gain benefit from but if I was going to a small tournament with a single master box and some additional models and that crew was Rasputina then the above (+Angelica as noted) would be my starting point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dancater said:

For Rasputina the Frozen Heart models are really, really useful, in theme and besides many of them are very good.  In the end I'd get all of them, Raspy is lucky in that her theme models (outside of the box which is average) are exceptional.

But in order of usefulness I'll put the good models (IMO) into 3 tiers first essential FH, second great FH and third great non-FH:

Tier 1:

• Snowstorm is the Raspy henchman and it adds mobility to her crew, excellent model and while you won't include it in every crew you'll want the option.
  • December Acolyte because it is simply put one of the best and most cost efficient models in the game and also FH, can't think of a reason not to take one in every Raspy crew.

I would also put forth the arcane emissary as a tier 1 buy for Raspy. She got the best version of the emissary compared to the other arcanist masters in my opinion. It's super fast with Cg10, gives Raspy a critical means to escape combat. More importantly though it gives her the best possible ice mirror. Typically she cannot use her (0) through mirrors since the 2" range means most models are engaged and thus no longer legal mirrors. The emissary solves that by not counting as engaged. It also makes Freeze over a lot easier to use as well 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jordon said:

I would also put forth the arcane emissary as a tier 1 buy for Raspy. She got the best version of the emissary compared to the other arcanist masters in my opinion. It's super fast with Cg10, gives Raspy a critical means to escape combat. More importantly though it gives her the best possible ice mirror. Typically she cannot use her (0) through mirrors since the 2" range means most models are engaged and thus no longer legal mirrors. The emissary solves that by not counting as engaged. It also makes Freeze over a lot easier to use as well 

Have not played with the Emissary so did not comment on it as minimal experience or insight for Raspy lists.  Having said that its FH with upgrade and seems to really bring value to her lists, so will 100% support Jordan here.

10 hours ago, retnab said:

I'd argue the Effigy is tier 2 since it gives Raspy a way to burn the enemy's hand / just Burn them.  Otherwise, agreed with the above.

The only reason Effigy was tier 3 was because the way I separated the tier's placed the "best" non-FH models into tier 3, otherwise I totally support the Effigy as one of the most valuable and useful models in Arcanists across almost every one of the masters including Raspy.  I cannot think of a reason for not making the Effigy an automatic next purchase after getting the first Arcanist crew box of your choice, at 4SS the little fellow is simply cost efficient enough as a durable scheme runner and activation and that is regardless of his other abilities.  There are very few Raspy lists I make that the Effigy does not get included in, never is it not considered.

So yep retnab in a global sense discounting pure FH theme and such I'd rank the Effigy as perhaps second only to the Dec Acolyte as a near auto include for Raspy lists.  

6 hours ago, Bengt said:

I consider the Wendigo tier 1. 3 SS for a significant Minion with Wk 6 that can copy Ice Pillars.

And Devouring Big Beaters/Masters is fun. Doesn't happen every game but can be a huge swing when it does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

And Devouring Big Beaters/Masters is fun. Doesn't happen every game but can be a huge swing when it does.

The mere threat of that happening (on a chain activation too I believe?) usually keeps me sweating when facing her. You never know what's in that raspy player's hand or what the deck will give.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bengt said:

I consider the Wendigo tier 1. 3 SS for a significant Minion with Wk 6 that can copy Ice Pillars.

Left out the little furry teeth machine, I basically consider it a mandatory inclusion, Raspy + Wendigo is essentially the same as Lynch + Huggy.

So yes, having said that my original post also concentrated on the models outside the Raspy box, what you'd buy next/in addition.  From the box:

• Wendigo is tier 1 a pretty much auto take model, surprisingly dangerous, an excellent threat, meaningful activation and scheme runner with FH and 3 SS, there is a word for this - perfect.
  • Ice Gamin, solid little durable minions excellent FH Ice Mirrors and can be, especially working together quite dangerous and with the death explosion can have a nasty final bite, good models taking 1-2 is rarely disappointing, tier 2.
  • Ice Golem, huge hitting beater but..... By no means an auto take, only un-tiered FH model (so tier 4?).  Yes hits massively hard and has 3 potential AP (melee expert) but its massive attack requires all 3 and must hit, so his slow speed and the fact that most targets will burn cards to dodge the attack means its rare to hit anything meaningful with the smash.  Armor gives it durability but its abominable Df 2 takes it away, so its a wound soak and will rarely last a concerted turn of attacks, yes its a useful magnet for those attacks, but.. Has some utility abilities, notably throw but its simply at best an average slow moving beater in a faction (Howard, Mech Rider, Duet, Cerebus, Joss, Carlos, Cassandra) with multiple exceptional options not to mention an excellent fast FH killer (Blessed of Dec).  The Blessed in particular offers speed, FH and killing in a crew which generally likes that speed, and at base its cheaper as well.  

• 1 month later...

Myranda is really good with her. Gives a handful of cards with Imbued on turn 1 or 2, a strong mix up game, speed, an extra activation the turn she summons, and possibly a ton of offense if she turns into a cerberus. With skinwalker and a raptor she can also alpha strike or land killjoy anywhere by turn two. 

I have never taken Raspy without a Silent One. My meta hates those guys so much that they will skew the board just to get to them. My "standard" Raspy crew is:

Raspy, Snowstorm, Emissary, Acolyte, Silent One, Gamin, Wendigo, Effigy. 

I will occasionally replace the Emissary with a Myranda/Blessed or Mech Rider depending on the scheme pool. The most change in the list though is in Raspy's upgrades. I always take Arcane Reservoir. I usually take Shattered Heart and Cold Nights. However if I think I will see lots of Df flips or Hard to Wound (Ten T or Ressers) I will take December's Pawn to go Joker fishing instead. Snowstorm tends to get Armor of December

Playstyle: Raspy is a control master to me. I use Cold Nights cast by both her and the Wendigo to block the boardsup and force opponents to come to me. This is of course terrain dependent but there have been times I've completely shut off someone from getting to Squatter's or Stash markers by forcing them to go the long way around terrain. It also helps that it clumps them up in tight passages to blast into. Raspy usually tries to go early turn 1 if there's no one in range to smash in order to get the walls off quickly. Later turns I will often wait to activate her so that she has Bite of Winter and the Effigy buff up.  Because of the threat of her damage potential it tends to change how people play against her. I'll see opponents act more conservatively, not wanting to be wiped off the board which allows me more ability to take my objectives despite the relative slowness of the crew. If they go the more aggressive route,  Raspy will toss armor on Snowstorm or the Emissary and let them tank all day. 

Raspy is my normal anti Resser drop ESPECIALLY if I know they are playing Karai. She can use her Frozen Heart nodes to stay out of LOS from Karai and kill those pesky spirits without summoning Ikiro and she gets around incorporeal. Vs other ressers she's ok with hard to wound as it will sometimes result in a black joker blasting multiple models off the board. 

What is everyones thoughts on the acolytes? I think they are great, but they are very pool and board dependent for me. From the shadows is great in squatters or stake a claim, and they are a nice pick up in headhunter. If I think there will be snipers on the other side, or the board will slow my crew down, they can be a good option to have further in the board from the get go. 

On the other hand, usually I dont take them. Their cost often doesnt fit with the rest I want in the crew, and I often find that the Silent Ones does more for the crew with their healing and threat range. 

So, why am I stupid for not rating them higher? 

On 2017-07-27 at 8:06 AM, Bengt said:

Mostly agree about the Acolytes. I'll add that their offensive thing, shooting things for slow and discard, is much more powerful if you set up second, something you have no control over.

Very good point. Makes their value skewed.