Piano dropping, a rules question.

Dabslikelingard

Hey guys, 

A quick question on the piano dropping ability (I searched the forum but couldn't find it this had  been answered, apologies if it had). 

The card says ignores line of sight, but not cover. So if I'm standing on one side of a height 5 building and my target is in the open but on the other side of the building what happens, would he count as in cover?

Many thanks in advance, 

James. 

8 minutes ago, Dabslikelingard said:

Hey guys, 

A quick question on the piano dropping ability (I searched the forum but couldn't find it this had  been answered, apologies if it had). 

The card says ignores line of sight, but not cover. So if I'm standing on one side of a height 5 building and my target is in the open but on the other side of the building what happens, would he count as in cover?

Effectively, "ignore line of sight but not cover" really means "ignore Blocking by intervening models or terrain".  But that sounds "counterintuitive" so it's not written that way.

Just now, Dabslikelingard said:

Now I'm really confused haha. Sorry, I'm a bit new! 

"Blocking" for terrain is the property that says 'You can't draw line of sight across this thing" based on height.  The mechanism for models in between essentially works the same as the mechanism for intervening blocking terrain.

So if you ignore Blocking for models and terrain, you just draw line of sight across anything in the way.

Since the rule says not to ignore cover, then you still follow the cover rules, and need to draw line of sight lines to see if any of them cross cover granting terrain close enough to the target to grant cover.

So cover is normally determined by checking to see if any terrain with the soft or hard cover traits is along the line of site between the two models and within 1" of the target.  To the uninitiated, that becomes much MORE confusing once you "ignore line of site".

In the piano's case, just draw straight lines from Zipp to the target.  Do they cross a piece of terrain with one of the cover traits?  Yes.  You mentioned a building that very likely has the hard cover traits.  Is the target within 1 inch?  You didn't mention but that will be the determining factor.

3 hours ago, Dabslikelingard said:

So if the target is within one inch of the building it would be getting cover, if not then it wouldn't. That's great guys thanks for clearing that up! 

James. 

just keep in mind that it's not just in 1'' form any object! As clement said, the object needs to interrupt at least 1 los between you and the model. It sounds a bitt odd, cinsidering it's written that you ingore los, buto to make ti as easier as possible consider this: when you attack with it trait cover as you would normally do with a shooting, just keeping in mind that you don't need to see the models you're attacking. This is just to clarify that a model is not considered in cover form an attacker, unless one of the line starting from the base of the attacker model is interrupted by one element that generates cover.