Why is Iggy neverborn?

Sir Andersen

To most this is probably a small unimportant detail, but it really grates on me, to the point where I have no interest in bringing him in lists, no matter how amazing his stats might be.

So I haven't read through all of the fluff yet, but I have read the small blurb in the model's entry:

He's Charlene McGee (from Firestarter), except he's in Malifaux so bad things happen. Got it.

How is he Neverborn? He's an orphan with pyrokinetic powers. To me it seems he would fit in far better with Arcanists (if someone took him in and taught him) or Outcasts (if nobody did).

What exactly makes this "magical kid" particularly neverborn? It's not like Zoraida who spent a hundred years in Malifaux and is infused with the essence of its fate. It's not like Serena Bowman who was selected as a possible "backup vessel" by an actual tyrant.

No, as far as I can see he's just "random orphaned kid with magical powers".

So what'd I miss? What haven't I read yet? What makes this random kid "Neverborn"?

Messed-up human kids become woes, and Woes are Neverborn under the aegis of Pandora--that's all I've got.

Iggy has a longer story in 1.5 (available on Breachside Broadcast as a podcast!) but it doesn't say much more than that he had contact with...something odd...it may even have been human, Malifaux being what it is, but probably one of Pandora's. It didn't give him his powers but it had the earlier Neverborn tendency to 'make you confront the darkness within yourself'.

39 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Messed-up human kids become woes, and Woes are Neverborn under the aegis of Pandora--that's all I've got.

Iggy has a longer story in 1.5 (available on Breachside Broadcast as a podcast!) but it doesn't say much more than that he had contact with...something odd...it may even have been human, Malifaux being what it is, but probably one of Pandora's. It didn't give him his powers but it had the earlier Neverborn tendency to 'make you confront the darkness within yourself'.

Well that's.... something at least.

Honestly I was hoping someone would burst in here and explain how Pandora or Candy took him under his wing, corrupting him, or SOMETHING. 

For me it was quite obviously Pandora herself who tainted the children, made them sick and fed on their souls. I also thought she maybe did what she did on purpose to push Iggy into killing all of the children. So in my mind Iggy has been influenced by Pandora and pushed beyond the limits of a sane human child and into the world of the Woes. But I may be wrong and I may have read something into that story that isn't there. 

11 minutes ago, Greebo said:

But I may be wrong and I may have read something into that story that isn't there. 

I hope you're right. That works so much better for me than "hey he killed some kids so he's neverborn or something", which is what I get out of his blurb in the book.

I don't believe Kade and Candy are Human children (from the fluff we've had provided) however woes is reference to the woes of humanity which tie into the original Pandora myth, originally each named woe was the woe of xyz in 1.5 up until Tannen I believe (from memory) Innocence Lost, Consuming Neglect and Innocence Corrupted
The reason Iggy is neverborn in my opinion was that he gave himself over to the misery and became an avatar for that particular form of human suffering and misery. 

I don't believe the woman at the orphanage was Pandora, I think she was meant to be an example of how corrupt and repulsive humanity can be when it finds a way to gain power using and/or destroying the weak and defenseless to achieve their goals, which could also be part of why Iggy turned against his own kind.

• Like 1