Arcanist Game: Create Your List #3

Mxbedlam

Back by popular demand. Seriously my inbox is blowing up! Create your list.

As always: 48 hours to post lists. Then 24 hours to vote! Voting takes the shape of likes on the post. Don't vote until its time! winner gets internet kudos

This week you are going up against those liquor guzzling, pig lovin' Gremlins and your scheme pool is:

Corner Deployment

Stake A Claim

Claim Jump

Accusation!

Frame For Murder

Mark For Death

Show of Force

Image result for Vassal Malifaux map

• Like 1

Ugh what a scheme pool.

I'd pick Colette

3 ss cache Colette

with Arcane Reservoir 2ss, Shell Game 1ss, Cabaret Coreography 2ss

Cassandra 8 ss

Practised Production 1ss, Imbued Energies 1ss

The Firestarter 7 ss

Imbued Energies 1ss

Myranda 8ss

Imbued Energies 1ss

Wind Gamin 4ss

Wind Gamin 4ss

Arcane Effigy 4ss

Performer 5ss

Colette prompts Firestarter, Cassandra and a Wind Gamin to move 8 inches turn one. They then reckless/nimble/leap and place a claim marker each for a strong start. I would probably focus on doing claim jump (corner deployment and Colette helps with all those interacts needed) and maybe Show of Force.

Myranda can hunt enemy claimers or schemers, while Cassandra might take Show of Force. Accusation could be a possibility as well. I dont think Frame for Murder is good in this. I'd just be super careful not to kill an enemy model.

• Like 3

Stake a claim - that shouts Marcus to me. And Lets go a little abstract. 

Marcus- Arcane resevoir, Gods Domain Imbued energies(3)

Spawn Mother -Imbuied energies Pack leader(11)

Blessed of December - Well rehersed (10)

Cerberus  (imbued) (10)

Silurid (7)

Jackolope (2)

Gupps (4)

Every thing benefits from the Spawn mother increasing Cg. Whilst it starts off as a small list, it can get Gupps fairly easily, probably expecting to get me 2 gupps in turn 3. 

Frame for murder on Cerberus or Blessed is an option, depending on what I face. I have several upgrades so can threaten Show of force, but I'd only pick it if I think the spawn motehr could score it herself. I should be able to get accusation fairly easily, I'm not great at mark for death, btu the crew does a reasonable mix of interract and hit. Claim jump is probably easy to get due to the length of the center line.

I've gone with the defensive Marcus for 2 reasons. Firstly, he gets Cg10, so beign able to do that for a 1 makes him pretty fast,  and reg gen and bonus df should keep him being akwward all game long. I would definetly consider him charging my own crew (probably Gupps or Jackolope) for his first Ap if I thought it would get me to charge an enemy during the activation.  With this he does have a 26" threat on turn 1, without having to burn imbued, so a good chance he can at least engage if not also kill a scheme runner or two. (on a dream first turn after I chareg my Jackolope I'll be in a posiiton to charge an ememy model with my second AP (Potential threat 22"" and if I kill that on the charge I gte to charge again. The chance to multiple chareg would tempt me to use marcus early Ap to hit cheap models for 2 attacks on the charge, and use law of meat on big hitters.  

• Like 2

Looking at this map and corner deployment, I see that one of the MVPs for the strategy will be Soulstone Miners. There's good blocking/concealing terrain near each corner, which provides a spot for the Soulstone Miner to unbury at the end of Turn 1 to Stake a Claim starting in Turn 2. This looks so tempting, that I'm almost inclined to take two of them. 12 stones to potentially get 4VP is a steal. The problem is that Gremlins have a number of things they could do, including pigapulting stuff up the field so that they can go reckless and drop markers in my half as fast as possible.

This same problem tells me to not try for Claim Jump.

However, Accusation! could be useful, especially if I'm doing it as a (0) against flung Gremlins trying to score the strategy. That would wash those VP (potentially, assuming no ties: they don't remove Accuse, but score Stake, I cannot score Stake, but score Accuse; they remove Accuse, don't score Stake, I don't score Accuse but get Stake).

Frame For Murder would also be good. If Francois or Wong go after that Soulstone Miner I already mentioned, that's 3VP for me. If Burt nukes it, only 2. Sounds like an argument for a second Soulstone Miner, put the non-Frame one nearer to Burt if he's present and force him to deal with it or let me work the Strategy. Mainly sounds good because that's 12 stones shooting for 7VP.

Which brings us to the last two. Mark For Death is an interact and kill kind of scheme, which similar to Accusation! is guiding my Master pick towards Colette, but the controller in me wants to dial it up a notch beyond what Colette can do with regards to the Strategy--she cannot deny it as readily as Sandeep can. If nothing else, I can get those Marks out in a hurry on things that come into my half and collect them up.

Show of Force requires getting some non-master models with 1+ cost upgrades up into the middle of the board to hold ground for 3 turns with greater than or equal to the number of opposing non-master 1+ cost upgrades near the center. If only there was a way for Arcanists to do this, right?

So that leans me into:

Sandeep Desai (Arcane Reservoir, To Behold Another World, Unaligned Sage) (full cache)
Carlos Vasquez (Stunt Double, Warding Runes)
Kudra (Free of Mortal Shackles, Warding Runes)
Oxfordian Mage (Temporary Shielding, Blood Ward)
Soulstone Miner
Soulstone Miner
Rail Worker

I know at first glance there will be some "what is this blasphemy!" urge, but here's the thinking.
The Soulstone Miners can work the Strategy. If my opponent brings killing Henchmen/Masters, one of them gets Frame for Murder and spends its life acting like it's working the strategy while drawing fire.
Sandeep summons in a Chattering Gamin to deny my opponent their own play on the Strategy. If they're flinging Gremlins up the table or darting them up the slow(er) way with reckless, that's fine. There will be a chatterbox waiting for them in Turn 2. This chatterbox can also potentially help with Accusation!/Marked For Death defense and Accusation! scoring. Who ends up chattering will depend on opposing crew composition.
The Rail Worker, Oxfordian Mage,  Kudra, and Carlos can all kill scheme runners. The slowest melee one in the group can try to copy Sandeep's place to give itself an approximately 15" threat. The other two are absurdly fast without needing to borrow Sandeep's abilities. They play into the idea of summoning a Gamin that can interact when summoned to hand out a condition to a model it happens to be summoned near.
Blood Ward makes the two frontline Henchmen immune to Accusation! and Marked for Death, which makes putting them in the middle of the table for Show of Force less of a liability. The Oxfordian Mage can also feed off of Sandeep and Kudra early game (corner deployment) to help do things like push the Rail Worker up the field to better threaten in Turn 2, while providing a 'gun' platform that can also get into Melee if needed. The Blood Mage and Rail Worker can also work together to limit the amount of VP an obvious Frame For Murder target awards the Gremlin player, either by arranging for it to die by burning (Shovel Faster might find use to soften someone up to die by burning).
These two Henchmen are an interesting take into Frame For Murder because they give out conditions with their attacks--which can completely negate the FFM scheme if pulled off. Just make sure you don't kill the target outright until you've identified the FFM patsy or know that your opponent didn't take FFM. At which point, let these two bully the center.

Sandeep's summoning won't be relying on Banasuva's threat and additional force multipliers, instead the focus is getting Gamin on the table that can get things done. The Gamin that comes in ready to interact will depend on whether you go with Accusation! or Marked For Death. If you want to get tricksy with Accusation!, for instance, you can use the Wind Gamin to plant the Accusation, Kudra to "kill" the Wind Gamin with a (0), Wind Gamin self-sacrifice to push a Soulstone Miner into a new position to stake another claim, and do it all again in the next turn.
If instead you are going with Marked For Death, Banasuva might drop in to Mark someone, then Melee Expert to collect on it (card intense, but done within a single activation after summoning, first time will be a surprise). Otherwise, you drop in Gamin of choice, Mark your target, then let the Oxfordian Mage and/or Rail Worker kill it. I recommend Wind Gamin because of the Soulstone Miner thing I already mentioned.

• Like 3

Corner deploy on something that you need to book it to the other side of the map to do a 2 AP interact against a hoard of glass cannons... gross.

Whelp, out of my arsenal that means Mei.

Mei Feng, +1 SS
     Seismic Claws (1)
     Seize the Day (1)
     Vapormancy (1)
Mechanical Rider (12)
Arcane Effigy (4)
Mechanized Porkchop (7)
Emberling (3)
Carlos Vasquez (9)
     Stunt Devil (1)
     Imbued Energies (1)
Soulstone Miner (6)
Malifaux Raptor (3)

Need Mei's Vent Steam to defend from those guns/pigapult as I push into his side of the board. Need speed to get over there and drop those markers. Soulstone Miner for claim markers. Mech rider for speed to drop markers, durability and more guys (guys I'll be willing to self kill if they are getting accused). Carlos for Show of Force bid, solid durability. Bird to stall that one guy that got away from me or mess with the pigapult if they let me. And then some staples of my Mei play style for the rest, staples that can also do any of the interact needs of this pool in addition to the normal reasons I like them. Accusation (if they have bodies), Mark for Death (Carlos can hang out and mark them), Show of Force (if they don't have a ton of Upgrades), Frame for Muder (whoever) are all ok...ish options for schemes.

• Like 2

I think for this strategy i'm going for Marcus. So I'm gonna bring an odd list:

Marcus (Trail, Feral, Hunger)

Jackalope

Cassandra (Practiced Production)

Spawn Mother

Silurid

Silurid

Mole Man

Mole Man

Malifaux Raptor

The goal is to rush as fast as possible. Drop as many claim markers as I can on turn 1, make eggs and force opponents to kill Spawn Mother (Frame For Murder). use gupps to drop even more claim markers. Mole Men and Cassandra can do accusation or claim jump single handedly. Marcus kills their scheme runners. 

• Like 3