What strat/scheme combination would you take Von Schill into?

apes-ma

I don't want another thread about how Von Schill can't really cut it at the moment, but when WOULD you reach for Von Schill? I don't mean when would he be the optimal choice (I am not sure that he ever would) but if you were looking for taking him out for a good game what would you be looking for in the strats and schemes?

Von Schill too me says 1 thing. Big brawl. So I would look at him particularly in games where I want a large amount of my crew to be in the same place, and also expect the opponents crew to be there. Turf war, extraction and Guard the stash. (At least if I want to make the most out of his pumping up of Friekorps models)

• Like 1

I like him a lot for interference, since he and Strongarm Suit can bounce around the board so much.  In Collect the Bounty, he is great at killing things, but also since you can produce a disgusting amount of healing if needed.  Between Librarian, Steam Trunk, and Hannah's Make a New Entry, and Von Schill's personal Heal Upgrade, your crew can be very hard to put down.  Coupled with Sue for his "Hurt" ability (lets him draw a card) and Hannah's arcane reservoir (+1 card to hand) you have a crazy amount of resources to do said healing with.  Lastly, I think he's great with Squatter's Rights since his crew can be so resistant and can hold area well.

Most of the Strats I think he is playable on, its schemes where he has issues, since his crews generally fight for AP and scheme running is difficult for him (in my opinion).  I think Frame for Murder is easy along with Quick Murder, Last Stand since most of your crew is enforcers or henchmen anyway, and your opponents are most likely bringing 3-4 more models than you.  Dig your graves can sometimes work, since you're good at killing,but getting the markers out is somewhat challenging. Elim Leader works, since Von Schill kills things like a champ (to save nothing of his other Friekorps models and other outcasts you can bring in).  Show of Force since again, like Last Stand you're running enforcers and henchmen with upgrades and resistant to death. Hunting Party if your opponent has a lot of minions, lastly, Search the Ruins can be do able, since in most games anyway, you want center board presence and you can bluff Claim Jump or Dig your Graves (if possible).

The next time I'm up against Gremlins, I want to take Von Schill with Engage at Will and Tally Sheet, Rusty Alyce with From the AEther and Tally sheet, one or two abominations, and continuously draw a bunch of cards all game.

Unfortunately Von Schill is mainly bought for the librarian and trapper that come in his box. Von Schill himself is... he's a straightforward master to play, but he tends to suffer from being too straightforward. He's an offensive master who provides some support for his themed crew, but he's not on the Viks level of offense, and he's not on the Parker level of support. He needs... something... to make him less average.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...