Wonderful Whirlwind?

SurreyLee

Hi All, i've picked up a couple of outcast masters recently and looking at the Viks whirlwind attacks and this got me thinking how devestating it could be. I was wondering what the most effective whirlwind you guys have had....how many models nobbled etc etc.

So, bring me your tales of Wonderous Whirlwind-ing. 

This is absolutely my most badass Malifaux story.
To set the scene: 

Bottom of Turn 2 vs Sonia. Guard the Stash. Eliminate the Leadership and Undercover Entourage in the pool. Red Joker and 12:mask in hand, deck almost empty.

Vik of Blood, equipped with Mark and Oathkeeper, gets placed into position by Ashes, fully buffed by Sisters in Battle and Sisters in Furry. 
Accomplice activation, pops Oathkeeper, walks, and charges Frank, who is sitting next to Sonia, a Stalker, and a Witchling Thrall. Flip a high mask on the attack lets me whirlwind into all four enemies. Moderate on Frank drops him to half. Spin to win, killing the Stalker and setting everyone on fire. Cheat the RJ on damage vs Sonnia, she gets a lucky stone and lives with 4 wounds left. Score 1 on Eliminate. Move on to the Thrall, but my deck is empty, so I reshuffle. Blood lands the hit on the Thrall, flips Black Joker on damage. I start worrying if I can kill it. Second hit on Frank I cheat in my 12:mask to match the 13 he flipped. After damaging and a stone Frank has 1 wound left. Sonia catches the business end of the Paired Masamune and, and she can't cheat high enough. My :+fate to damage nets me a severe and the remaining 2 points from Eliminate. My final attack of the activation is vs the almost full health Thrall. We match totals again, leaving me at a :-fate:-fate to damage thanks to Impossible to Wound. First card - weak. Second - weak again. He starts marking down his 5 damage. Third card - RED JOKER! A whopping 11 damage puts the poor guys out of his misery. The turn ends, Frank dies from the burning +1 thanks to the Stalker, and Viktoria of Blood of left in a circle of corpses.
My opponent promptly concedes, revealing that Frank was his Entourage target, and we start another game that I promptly lose 1-9.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, VaudevillianVicious said:

My opponent promptly concedes, revealing that Frank was his Entourage target, and we start another game that I promptly lose 1-9.

Ha, the fickle fates....

Great Whirlwind.....Not played yet, but that's the cinematic feel i'd love to achieve with them

• Like 1

The first time I "figured out" how the Slingshot worked, I promptly eliminated about 30 points worth of pigs from my buddies Gremlin crew, with Whirlwind.  He is a very good player, and the one that taught me how to play Malifaux, so I felt pretty good about that play.  In truth, I think I ended up losing that match due to not doing any schemes, but I still marked it as a victory since I learned how to fully buff Blood via Ashes and then send her to town.

I've had the Viks come close to winning games by themselves, but they still pale in comparison to the first time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I managed my first game with the Viks last night and managed to get some Whirlwind attacks in, so I thought to update my own thread on the results but also extend it to a bit of a general Viks thread. 

We were playing extraction with claim jump, ffm, accusation, hunting party and tail em. 

My crew was Vik (place sister upgrade and the two upgrades that give plus to attack and plus two damage), Blood with oathkeeper and mark of shazul, 2xronin, trapper, librarian, malifaux child and strongarm suit with oathkeeper. 

My oppo went for Guild McMourning with lead lined coat(i think...it reduced damage to one when dropped) and some other upgrades...i forget. Fransico, Judge, Witchling Stalker, Brutal Effigy, Orderly, Nurse and guild lawyer. 

I took Hunting party as he had a lot of very killable minions and put ffm on blood. He took ffm on Frank and also hunting party. 

Turn one he won initiative and opted to go first to get poison on Mcmourning by the nurse to enable his pushes etc. I went with the trapper and but for a lack of severe in my hand would have taken out the witchling stalker (I got the ram trigger for crit strike). Trappers are a bit one dimensional but the ability to take a model off the board each turn with a bit of careful planning is very much worth it. 

The only other thing turn one was a semi slingshot which allowed blood to get in and whirlwind on judge/mcmourning who were bunched a bit too tightly. I took judge to 2 wounds remaining after flipping a BJ and Mcmourning down to 3 wounds. 

Turn 2 i won initiative and dropped a card to get the trapper out of combat with Mcmourning (who'd pushed with poison the turn before). Focus shoot and another BJ stopped McMourning from being dead. He charged the trapper and tied up a ronin too and killed trapper recovering 5 wounds. The ronin flurried, another ronin charged and he was finally finished off by ashes. The other noteable action of the turn was the nurse paralysing judge to fully heal him, the plan was clearly to remove the condition with the stalker so i dropped oathkeeper on the strongarm and walk/charged the stalker killing him. Judge and Blood were both paralysed turn 2. 

I suspected he had ffm on frank or judge so i spent this turn taking their wounds down but stopping short of killing them both. A good whirlwind from blood saw his effigy and the orderly both getting deaded.

Last two turns were similar. I scored all 4 for Extraction and 3 for hunting party. FFM on blood might have happened but i realised i'm not sure i like taking it....i want my killy models to stay alive to, well, you know.....kill stuff. 

My oppo got 2 for extraction, 1 for hunting party and 1 for ffm which i kind of needed to do. Killed by a Ronin turn 5.

Takeaways from the game;

1: Trappers putting that decent damage pressure on early doors is a great way to mess with your opponents plans. very good for 6ss. 

2. Strongarm is surprisingly tanky and fairly good damage output. My first outing with this dude and won't be my last. 

3. Ronin are actually very good. I know some people rave about them (so much so, a ronin has made every list for some people, even with merc tax). i'd never got it before, however putting them on the table and using them has given me an instant appreciation. Yes, the are 6ss, however, with the ability to sac themselves for cards or stones, this can effectively be 4-5ss worth of model. They have flurry, can push away (auto trigger??) and not be charged...all with HTK. If you take the 2ss for example, this is a fantastic return on a 4ss (effective) model. It's good on the 6ss model and after one game can see their benefit. 

4. Viks look fun if perhaps a tad one dimensional. Maybe the threat of the viks is worse than the actual results but i'm glad i picked them up. They will get another run out and soon. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, katadder said:

considering mcmourning was in combat with blood i'm surprised she survived, but then i guess he didnt want to give away ffm.

ffm is always on blood as you opponent cannot allow her to live, usually they just try for the 2 point kill though

he pushed away from combat with the poison push end of turn 1. At this point he already activated and was down a fair number of wounds. He didn't want to lose initiative and effectively lose Mcmourning AND Judge. 

That's what i figured on Blood....you can't leave her alive. 

Interesting to see that everyone still favours the slingshot build. Dont get me wrong its really effective but ive spent my time with the girls experimenting with hoe to inject Victoria of blood deeper into the enemy crew from the off. Not without its risks but it did cripple a lilith player on its maiden voyage lol. 2x mature neph, 2x young neph a tot, black blood shaman and half wounds on lilith.....right in the hobby lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Murdock365 said:

Interesting to see that everyone still favours the slingshot build. Dont get me wrong its really effective but ive spent my time with the girls experimenting with hoe to inject Victoria of blood deeper into the enemy crew from the off. Not without its risks but it did cripple a lilith player on its maiden voyage lol. 2x mature neph, 2x young neph a tot, black blood shaman and half wounds on lilith.....right in the hobby lol

So slingshot aside, how do you get the sisters into the thick of the action?

I don't really use the slingshot build all that often.  I'm happy for them to make their way up there at normal pace - slingshot build needs the right table to make it work, I find. 

Anyway, one time Shooty Vik was up ahead and amongst the enemy, and I forget the scheme but, plant explosives maybe - opponent gets VP for having scheme markers next to my master at the end of the turn.

Scheme markers were some distance away.  Sensei Yu did a whirlwind and dropped the markers next to Vik, and I realised I walked straight into a trap.  She was also surrounded by, I think 4 models.

And those models were out of reach of Pokey Vik.  But Shooty Vik wasn't! :D:D

So, Pokey Vic burned Oathkeeper charged Shooty Vik.  I was left with the hilarious situation of having to either cheat in or use SS to ensure I hit the WW trigger, then keeping a close eye on the damage I was delivering to my master - I wanted her to die, but not until the last one.  So despite wanting her to die I was also using SS to prevent damage!!  Successful, but I think I only killed 3/4 models.  Plus my own Vik :D

One of my favourite moments.

For WW, you really want to make sure you've buffed Pokey to ensure she's hitting min dmg 5 - it's annoying when you're still on min3 and WW just leaves everybody with a couple of wounds. 

And my god, WW burns though your deck FAST!!!

• Like 4

First time i pulled the slingshot off, pokey Vik charged a bunch of piggies including the Big Sow (or whatever that 3 headed thing is called) and a dog. She killed 3 models including the Sow, but a buch of small 1-2 wound piggies remained. But lo and behold, Vanessa was there with her blasts. I think in 2 activations I killed something along the lines of 9 models. My friend was... concerned. Distressed in fact, so much so that he conceded (admittedly all he had left was McTavish and wounded Ullix) and bough Zzap box lawl. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, very brief Bat Rep number 2. Viks vs Kirai. 

Turn 1 VOB who had fast from the Student walked then charged a newly summoned Hanged. Test passed. Hit trigger for whirlwind. Killed Hanged with weak damage 3 (summoned in on low wounds), took 5 wounds from a Flesh Construct, passed second test for the second summoned in hanged and killed it, hit a Nurse for 3 who triggered to push away and hit Kirai for 9 damage after red jokering. Second hit (melee expert from LOS to VOA) took the fleshie down another 3 wounds. 

Turn 2 my oppo had very kindly moved Datsu Ba into combat. VOB survived a couple of WP based attacks then took out Datsu in one hit, took out a couple of summoned models that Kirai palmed the damage on to then took out the nurse. 

Whirlwind in the right situation is awesome. Despite all this i'd forgotten the 0 action to give plus on damage flips and didn't manage to get the damage track up to min 5. It shows it's an amount of models and not necessarily the damage. Just don't bunch up.

End of turn 2 my oppo had 3 models remaining and didn't get anything else. I dropped a point for Frame on VOB who was taken out by Phillip and the Nanny (oh the shame). 

Won 9-2.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 10:23 PM, daniello_s said:

Hmmm... Did your opponent summoned Ikiryo when you hit his models? 

Yep. Ikiro was already summoned when i started hitting so couldn't be summoned again. it was a tactical pop. that said, even had it not, it would simply have been another easy target for more whirlwind.....

• 2 months later...

Playing a 3 way free for all versus Perdita and Kirai. Played very cautiously first couple of turns as both Perdita player and Kirai player had a bit of a grudge match going. Third turn card draw came up RJ, BJ and lowest card being a 9, deck Gods decreed that blood must kill.

Blood went charging Santiago (at this point I feel it worth mentioning that Francisco was tied up with Ikiryo) I forget how much damage I did, what I do remember was Red jokering Perdita for 11dmg, which thankfully she only managed to stone for 1 dmg. Perdita in one shot. End of the turn saw Perdita, Santiago, Orderly, and Nino in various pieces. Worth also noting this was my first time with Tally sheet on Blood. Ended the turn with just as good a hand as starting, minus RJ.

Next turn managed to get a charge lane open for a second slingshot on Kirai. Again Don’t remember what dmg I did. But ended with Kirai, 2 Seishin, a Hanged, and some other spirit I couldn’t remember the name of. (Ikiryo was engaged with a whispered Hannah)

Needless to say after two turns 2 masters and a lot of dead models my opponents spend the rest of the game jumping up and down on both Viks. Only just scraped a victory. I love playing Viks, but sometimes it makes me feel like such a bad person when your opponent is removing their 3rd model from a single activation.

That beautiful beautiful whirlwind.

So this is about the one time I decided to use Comradery from the Howling Wolf Tattoo.  

I was losing the game bad... something like 2-7 on turn 4, no real options to actually even pull off a draw, my whole deck was against me that day.  I'm off to the left because I had to focus beat on Baby Kade for a turn.  A doppelgänger, Teddy, and a sorrow were poised to come on them.  Malifaux Child had already activated Sisters in Fury.

I activate Ash, pop Comradery to make the Wokou Raider a sister, 1 AP for Sisters in Battle, 0 action The Setting Sun, 2 AP for Dragon's Bite, place  Ash, Blood, and Raider into range with Teddy.  

Ash hits Teddy for minimum damage 5, triggers whirlwind, misses the sorrow, hits Doppelgänger for minimum 5.

Blood hits Teddy for minimum damage 5, triggers whirlwind, misses the sorrow, misses the doppelgänger.

Raider hits Teddy for minimum 4 damage, kills Teddy.

Accomplice kicks in, Blood activates, pops Oathkeeper, 0 actions The Lonely Path, 2 AP for Flight of Dragons on the Sorrow, Blood misses the sorrow, Ash misses the sorrow, Raider hits the sorrow for minimum 4 damage, but incorporeal, triggers Coordinated Raid, makes Ash swing again, hits for minimum 5 damage ignoring incorporeal, kills sorrow, all sisters push 6" away.

Blood then uses her last 2 AP from Melee Expert and Fast to charge doppelgänger, red jokers the damage to put an exclamation point on my chain activation.

6 minutes ago, so_diogenes said:

Am I wrong in thinking you can't use a melee expert ap as part of a charge action?

No, you're not wrong. You can't use Melee Expert to charge because Charge is a Tactical action with no associated stat. It's not a Ml action because there is no duel involved.

• Like 2