Guild riflemen

Joachim

Hello guys,

I play Lady justice and I mainly go for models I really like which was the case for riflemen.

I only played 1 game with them so far (mainly cause I've been playing neverborn the last few games). But I was wondering what your experience is with them. Do you bring one or several?

How do you position/use them. Do you leave one focus on them when you can for the charge deterrent? 

Greetings, Joachim.

The focus charge thing doesn't stop anyone from killing you. I usually try to get a shot off turn 1. Sometimes I hold back (walk up and focus) to get more pew turn 2. I sometimes use one with Lucius and McCabe and a couple of other guardsmen, I don't really see a place for them with the other masters. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Generally, walk and focus turn 1. Often positioned overlooking a main area for schemes/strategies where I think enemy minions will come along. The 14" range makes people do silly things like avoid them or overreact.

I like to follow them around with an Austringer or Hound to get the extra damage too.

Setting up riflemen will completely depend on deployment, model count, terrain and strategy/schemes.
The general set ups will either be a) activate late to try and move just into range to pop off forward stragglers -or at least put a threat on them to raise the opponents concern for their safety

or b) spend all of turn one positioning for turn two.

There is no right answer because both options are situational and will also depend on whether you're being out activated and your positioning could leave an easy opening or alpha strike, of course you could always be baiting.... 

Do you like the look of either Queeg and/or Dashel and wardens?
They can form the core of a less mobile ball of death if you can give them ways of pushing out of combat or pushing your enemies away from them.

Dashel is a force multiplier and should act to defend the riflemen and hopefully now summon some reinforcements -if you want your ball of death to be focusing free and ideally causing more damage he may be a worth while investment.
Queeg offers them a push to get them out of combat or throw them up the board earlier to get a shot off turn one or simply better positioning for turn two, when combined with Dashel queeg creates additional opportunities to focus.

Wardens provide a way of pushing enemies out of the death ball and leaving the riflemen to fire, they also benefit from the focus mechanics above and if shooting may also benefit from Dashels + flips.

Of course that's a lot of assets to sink into the ball so will only work when holding a position on the board with the group is going to score you vp as it will probably lack a little mobility after turn one which is all about positioning the ball, this will probably only leave room for one extra enforcer or if you go light on upgrades two extra minions.

Either the rifleman or the wardens can be switched out for pathfinders or even possibly Austringers for different mechanics- set ups etc.

Scale down the group appropriately depending on how much effect you want the riflemen to have on the game, i.e if you just wanting a couple of stationary ranged threats I'd consider to hounds as protectors and late game scheme runners, Dashel may still be beneficial to the entire group but again - assets(stones) to benefit (+vp or deny vp)  

If taking them I usually take 2 with Lucius and Dashel and aim to get at least one Gatling cannon death star turn and wipe out something big.  I find attempts to protect them rarely work and you're better planning to be positioned for a nice counter attack at whatever has just charged them. 

If you're expecting them to be in melee next turn then pretty much write them off as dead and don't forget you can get one more volley out them before they croak by the lethal re-activation Dashel can hand out.

Lucius specific plan, but being able to freely shoot into a combat that contains a friendly Doppelganger can catch people by surprise.

• Like 1