farmoar

Ok, bear with me for a minute...

I am looking to make an elite killing squad to run when I don't feel like unpacking a bunch of models (Collodi). Here are my thoughts so far...
Lilith with Beckon Malifaux and Wicked Mistress
Nekima
Barbaros
Mature Nephelim

which leaves me with 13 points. I can either run Killjoy (nicely painted Carver) or Hooded Rider plus Fears Given Form on Nekima.
Again, keep in mind that I am looking to drop an elite killing crew on the table, preferably keeping it at 5 models.

Who would you run as your fifth model, and what upgrades would you toss in if extra points are available.

Looking forward to hearing your answers. Thanks.

What is the intended purpose of Barbaros? Is he your schemer? :) He doesn't seem to match the others in killyness.

I'd go with Graves for pushes I think and swap Barbie for Nekima for maximum kill mode. Take the upgrade that let's you switch to whatever you need since it's such a no-brainer that it's ridiculous. I think you will have trouble in anything other than good 'ol reckoning but I guess we can skip the part where everyone tells you that ;) 

4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

What is the intended purpose of Barbaros? Is he your schemer? :) He doesn't seem to match the others in killyness.

I'd go with Graves for pushes I think and swap Barbie for Nekima for maximum kill mode. Take the upgrade that let's you switch to whatever you need since it's such a no-brainer that it's ridiculous. I think you will have trouble in anything other than good 'ol reckoning but I guess we can skip the part where everyone tells you that ;) 

Barbaros is there to help reposition people into the "danger zone", and also to hunt down their scheme runners if needed.
Nekima is already in the list, as she already strikes fear in the local opponents.

2 hours ago, Torsul said:

Nekima is already there, but i second the Notion of Barabos. I would exchange him for the Doppelganger. He hits as hard as all your beaters and Ini is terrible relevant with this kind of crew. 

So I guess the question becomes, Doppleganger or Mr. Graves. I am leaning more towards Killjoy over the Hooded Rider, just because I already have him (Carver) and would need to seek out a hooded rider somewhere.

Lilith, Nekima and Mature Nephilim are givens, with Killjoy as a very close auto-include.

2 minutes ago, Corwin said:

I have had thoughts of a very similar crew but instead of Barbaros going with Angel Eyes so she can shoot who ever the beaters have tied up and don't quite kill.

That's actually not a bad thought either. Finish off the chaff, and never worry about shooting your own guys.

• Like 1

I absolutely second Angel Eyes - she's amazing in a Neverborn beater crew, because sometimes your charging models don't QUITE finish the enemy off, letting them strike back and tying up your models. Angel Eyes solves that problem like a boss. Very good target to carry Obsidian Talons as well, since she really doesn't NEED upgrades to function (and in a 5-model crew you're likely to be out-activated anyway, making Strange Alliances wasted ss), freeing up the Mature Nephilim's slot.

I'm starting to think that she's a crutch for me, however, because she's almost always the second model I reach for. "Summoning Dreamer? Angel Eyes. Defensive Pandora? Angel Eyes..."

If only Tuco were as good as her. Neverborn gunline, away!

That is a disgusting crew!

I always feel like I'm going "too elite" if I don't have at least 7 models, and even that feels a bit short.

Screw it! I'm going to take inspiration from this and try fielding a beat-sticky elite crew myself! Will have to proxy as all hell, but that's not an issue with the people I play with. 

What are your plans, in a crew like that, to not get completely screwed over by number of activations? Seems like it would be easy for our opponent to just activate chaff and bait until we've moved all our dudes, THEN strike with their 1-2 big beaters and hope for initiative on the following turn (or just charge right in if we took the bait already and went after any of their chaff models).

How do you plan on getting around that? I want to steal your strats here.

Did some messing around with this idea, and here's what I came up with for my own take on this:

*Lilith

-Beckon Malifaux

-Living Blade

-On Wings of Darkness

*Nekima

-The Mimic's Blessing

*Mature Nephilim

-The Mimic's Blessing

*Killjoy

*Black Blood Shaman

4 SS Pool

Kinda teeter-tottering on whether to give Lilith On Wings of Darkness or Wicked Mistress.... charge over terrain without LOS, or lure enemies into forest and murder them. Decisions, decisions...!

On 5/13/2017 at 2:04 AM, Sir Andersen said:

Did some messing around with this idea, and here's what I came up with for my own take on this:

*Lilith

-Beckon Malifaux

-Living Blade

-On Wings of Darkness

*Nekima

-The Mimic's Blessing

*Mature Nephilim

-The Mimic's Blessing

*Killjoy

*Black Blood Shaman

4 SS Pool

Kinda teeter-tottering on whether to give Lilith On Wings of Darkness or Wicked Mistress.... charge over terrain without LOS, or lure enemies into forest and murder them. Decisions, decisions...!

Why Black Blood Shaman over Doppel-chan? She gives you better control over initiative - vital in a small crew - doubles up on your highly effective attacks from Nekima, and what's more is relatively frail once deprived of her Manipulative. Move her forward early in a turn and DARE your opponent to kill her and eat a Killjoy to the face.

Frankly, I'd drop the Mature Nephilim from either version of the list for Angel Eyes.

4 Lilith w/ Living Blade, Transfixing Gaze, Wings of Darkness

10 Angel Eyes w/ Obsidian Talons

14 Nekima w/ Thousand Faces

12 Killjoy w/ Thousand Faces

8 Doppelganger w/ The Mimic's Blessing

+2 SS Cache

Lilith moves models around or kills them. Nekima and Angel Eyes team up to murder many different things. Doppelchan either schemes solo or works with Nekima - or dies to bring out Killjoy. The extra SS lets you leverage them for either protecting your SS users or Wings of Darkness's extra draw, rather than being forced to choose between them. If I were going full munchkin and trying to make this as 'competitive' as possible, I'd remove Obsidian Talons and Killjoy's Thousand Faces for Primordial Magic... more card draw is better card draw - and would let me swap Wings of Darkness for Beckon Malifaux.

But that isn't what the OP wants, and I can understand why.

1 hour ago, iamfanboy said:

Why Black Blood Shaman over Doppel-chan? She gives you better control over initiative - vital in a small crew - doubles up on your highly effective attacks from Nekima, and what's more is relatively frail once deprived of her Manipulative. Move her forward early in a turn and DARE your opponent to kill her and eat a Killjoy to the face.

Frankly, I'd drop the Mature Nephilim from either version of the list for Angel Eyes.

4 Lilith w/ Living Blade, Transfixing Gaze, Wings of Darkness

10 Angel Eyes w/ Obsidian Talons

14 Nekima w/ Thousand Faces

12 Killjoy w/ Thousand Faces

8 Doppelganger w/ The Mimic's Blessing

+2 SS Cache

Lilith moves models around or kills them. Nekima and Angel Eyes team up to murder many different things. Doppelchan either schemes solo or works with Nekima - or dies to bring out Killjoy. The extra SS lets you leverage them for either protecting your SS users or Wings of Darkness's extra draw, rather than being forced to choose between them. If I were going full munchkin and trying to make this as 'competitive' as possible, I'd remove Obsidian Talons and Killjoy's Thousand Faces for Primordial Magic... more card draw is better card draw - and would let me swap Wings of Darkness for Beckon Malifaux.

But that isn't what the OP wants, and I can understand why.

killjoy would be 13 + 1 for the thousand faces. so just Lilith's 4 cache for the game.

i tried the list with angel eyes, and lost due to time (and misreading the scheme pool). my opponent and i were more or less dicking around and talking more than playing, and the time ran out for the game.

2 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

BBS over doppel because everything in the list has black blood, letting the shamen do decent amounts of AOE damage, some insane buffs and possibly heals to my big important elite beatsticks.

With this few models I wasn't planning on blood sacrificing Killjoy in. Instead he would start om table close to Lilith > something else (Nekima or Mature) runs forward as far as they can > Lilith moves forward and uses Tangled Shadows to swap Killjoy for whatever ran forward. All of this (and this is the important part!) BEFORE Killjoy activates.

Positioned right, Killjoy won't be close enough to any of my things that he'll be forced to charge, and can move up to be a threat. MAYBE he'll even be in a position to get a (1) Charge off, but I wouldn't bank on my opponent rushing anything forward like that (especially not with the activation advantage most likely being significantly in his favour). And even if I do get it off, I definitely wouldn't expect it to ever happen again in a subsequent game. So it's positioning, not a surprise Killjoy charge.

After playing the list with Angel Eyes, I have decided to switch it up a bit

Lilith (4ss cache)
+Beckon Malifaux (1)
+Wicked Mistress (1)
Nekima (13)
+A Thousand Faces (1)
Mature Nephelim (11)
Lazarus (11)
+A Thousand Faces (1)
Bishop (11)

hoping that the blasts will help thing out some of the cheap models, and Bishop can fill in the gaps