An own 'Codex' for each Faction?!

• 3 weeks later...

I just make my own codex's.   

Buy the digital versions of the rulebooks.    Open them up in your favorite PDF viewer.   Use the cut and paste function and create a single sheet PDF for every card.    Then I just assemble the "codex" on a per master basis.     I've done all the Neverborn that way and loaded them onto a tablet.     Its a bit time consuming but really handy.    Will need to add in all the Broken Promises stuff this weekend.. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:44 AM, Frozen Feet said:

Some players of our local Malifaux crew express the following wish:

-we want an own 'Codex' for each faction-

It's more clearly to find something (if you have just only one faction to play). And may be a little representative...

But may be a bit complicated (Mercenaries, Dual Faction, etc).

Does anybody out there like this?

Is there any hope for them??

Greetz

Probably not and it "works" for 40k because of the scope of revisions they need to do each edition. This is also the reasons why privateer press did there forces of warmachine book fallowing the change of editions. With malifaux short of a new edition it is keeping the grand book approach and in theory working to balance each addition it adds vs everything else in the game on a master vs master bases or use case vs use case bases on non master models. This also means that we the player get all the new toys for every faction in one book which makes the book really interesting as there is also a lot of cross faction play.

When they move to a new edition will they do a codex? My answer, do you want dual faction models or masters that can play with non merc models from other factions such as Collodi and Marcus, if yes then no they will not do codexs as these masters counter the idea of functional independence that is core to a codex approach. Functional independence is effectively can X force and all the non corner case build be functional in that book and this is sort of paramount for a codex. In a nut shell can a codex stand on its own, and in malifaux terms it would be can each master in the codex stand on its own. Masters that heavily rely on models from another faction or use cross faction models would violate this principle or cause a lot of reprinting in the codex, think of how big the arcanists would be if it had to include every beast in the game just to make Marcus viable with one book or how many dual faction models/masters would have to be in two book. Then you run into the issue of maintaining the cross faction model cross the books, for instance the standard Land Raiders between the space marines codex and grey knights in 4th - 6th ed codex where there where multiple different rules for this one vehicle based on the faction you ran.

• Like 1