Experiences with Sun Quiang

Paradigm

I've been thinking of getting myself a proxy for Sun Quiang, hoping that he will make achieving the GG17 schemes easier. Have any of you already tried him? What are your impressions of him? When would you bring him, and is he worth his cost?

I've run him once. He's nice and he did some useful stuff, although he has the weird issue of wanting enemies to be within 4 of him to gain slow but doesn't want them to be within 4 when he activates otherwise they heal 1.

His basic attack is fairly reliable, if a little underwhelming damage wise for an 8 stone model, but Ml 7 is nice. I didn't get much use out of the Tome or Crow triggers when I used him because I didn't really have a need for it, but I can see them being useful if a bit niche. What I do love though is Hole in the World. A 6" place fantastic, and well worth a high mask to get it off. I'm sure there's some tricksy Lightning Dance shenanigans that can be done to move an enemy miles away too, but I haven't played him with Yan Lo. His (0) to turn scrap and corpse into scheme markers is also very nice for Claim Jump or just to deny enemy stuff, and 5300 formulae is great in Turf War if you activate him late. I think he really benefits from having Sensei Yu or the Emissary around to gain fast - obviously it's always good to get a third AP but I felt like it really helped him shine.

I'd probably take him in "near the centre" type strategies because he benefits from being clumped up, and he's good at denying the points because he turns enemies into Peons.

You could also do shenanigans with Sue if you wanted, to use his The Man Comes Around trigger in combination with the Peon aura for instant kills on anyone. Kind of a lot of setup there.

He can be extremely potent in Headhunter. King of Medicine means that whenever a model Sun Quiang can see takes damage - like, say, when it dies and drops a Head marker - he may reveal and bury a card to push up to 5" towards that model and, if he pushed at least 3", take an Interact action - like, say, picking up a head. He has Don't Mind Me, so it doesn't matter if he's engaged or not, and this can happen any number of times per turn as long as you have the cards to burn. (Multiple Heads don't help, but they may deny your opponent points, and it also means he can move a long way towards a distant combat.)

NOTE: He won't be able to pick up the new Head, as it won't have dropped yet when he makes a push, but if it's a larger skirmish, there may well be another head lying around.

Edited by OneLittleThunder
Addendum