Spring Down Tournament report

Adran

Yesterday was Spring Down, a 3 round 50 ss fixed faction GG17 event. I secured a pass for the event and drove down with my clubmate joe. he decided to play Collodi whilst I decided that I'd stick with Arcanist, and see how the day turned out. There are no photos, but games one and two were on wild west town boards (different boards, but largely they all seem to be similar) Game 3 was on a dried stream bed board (The one I played on twice in Lost love 5) The event itself was run on Bag o Tools, which means I didn't walk away with all the schemes for each round, so I've only recorded the ones I can remember. I also took no notes so I am missing most upgrades from my opponent. (and expect a few things to be slightly wrong)

Game 1

Collect the bounty vs Tara (Darren) Flank deployment Dig their graves, Claim Jump, leave your mark,

Marcus (Damage upgrade)(Arcane)

Jackolope

Shuistarya Guard

War Wabbit

Luther the Pascha Hare  (well rehersed)

Boris the circus bear

Moleman

Hoarcat pride

He took

Tara

Scion of the Void

Nothing beast

2 void wretches

Death Marshal

Aionius

Turn 1 I used the jackolope and Boris to give the War Wabbit options where to go. He moved the bulk of his models (Scion, tara, nothing beast, Aionius and a void wretch) over to 1 side roughly where I was heading the bear. I moved Luther that way, and dropped a scheme marker for the moleman to move up and they hid behind a building from the main block of Tara.

The death Marshal shot at the bear, slightly hurting it. The Shystar guard pushed the Wabbit towards Boris and then went off to try and start scoring leave your mark.

The Wabbit charged Boris, pushing him and making him furious. It also made the scion in range of my second charge. The Wabbit hit the scion and hurt it a fair chunk. Marcus had gone over towards the death marshal.

Turn 2. Tara lost initiative despite the bonus flip, so the Wabbit went to town, killing a void wretch, hurting the scion a bit more and and hurting Tara. I was hoping for slightly better, but you take what you can…

Tara kicked off her fast aura and attacked the wabbit. I had foolishly moved Marcus to far away to Alpha the Wabbit so I pushed him nearer with the Guard, who also got into position to drop Leave your mark markers next turn. The nothing beast went to town on the Wabbit, leaving near death.  

Blessed went up and dropped a scheme marker near enough to get me a graves point. Scion kills Wabbit. It does empty hi hand to do so. Boris charges Scion, but fails to kill. Marcus Alphas Boris and this time he kills the scion. Aionius scores claim jump. Death Marshal charges Marcus, but he survives. Tara re-activate kills boris.

I score Bounty and Graves, He score claim jump.

Turn 3. Void wretch fasts Luther and charges him. He becomes buried. The Horcats charge the void wretch, but leaving him on 1 wound. Aionius goes and kills the buried Luther from fully healthy so I can’t use well rehersed.

Marcus goes after Tara, and kills her. Moleman gets a marker near the nearly dead void wretch.  Jackolope gets the kill on the void wretch. Guard drops a scheme marker for leave your mark.

I score 3 points.

Turn 4

Marcus kills the Nothing beast, and the jackolope kills the death Marshal. Aionious drops a mark for claim and a mark for leave your mark (due to his pushing markers action)

I score 2 (failed to dig graves) he scored 1

We didn’t start turn 5,  but I couldn’t get Aionius and he was the only model he had left, and couldn’t score anything. End score 7-2

The Bear and the Wabbit did roughly what I wanted as tough minions that took most of his crew to kill. I probably should have got more out of them, but it turned out to be just enough. If he had realised he couldn’t bury the scion with 0 cards in and, he might have played turn 2 a little differently, but I think it wouldn’t have made a huge difference as I think the last card he cheated saved something else from dying. I didn’t pay enough attention to Aionius’ damage, it was a lucky severe that killed the blessed, but I should have paid a little more attention to the down sides of being buried rather than just thinking it would be good to have a fast blessed released when I killed something.

• Like 2

Round 2

Squatters rights standard deployment, Frame for Murder, Mark for death, Claim Jump.

Vs Richard with Reva

Marcus (Arcane, Damage )

War Wabbit

Boris

Cerberus (imbued)

Luther (Imbued)

Performer

Wind Gamin.

Reva (decaying aura, and the upgrade that lets her start with  corpse candle)

Datsuba (my little helper, Spirit Whisper)

2 shield bearers

Dead doxy

Yin

Bete.

Reva deployed first, and hid in a corner (my right) with no line of sight. I sent my Bear up to near to the far left marker in some houses, ready for the pig to charge him and then flip the squat as long at I got a mask. This actually wouldn’t have worked because I was confusing the Stampede restrictions with the set ‘er off restrictions and just because I was standing next to the bear I could still charge it.

Reva and crew relativel cautiously advanced down 1 flank, with 2 seishin and a corpse counter being summoned, and Reve manged to end nest to a squat marker. I moved cautiously and kept near enough to the markes to get them next time, but far enough to stay out of LOS. Bete gets into the Blessed/Marcus Cerberus pack but doesn’t do much.

Turn 2

Performer pops around the building, Spies Reva and Siren calls her with the crow Trigger. Unfortunatly, there is a rock nearby and the actual path between the two is just less than 50mm so Reva is stopped before base contact is reached.

Boris managed to get 1 squat marker on the far Left, and then discovers his planned escape route between 2 buildings has then at less than 50 mm at their closest point so he is trapped by a rampaging Wabbit. Gets a scheme marker down.

My wind gamin gets the middle marker tagged and the shield bearers get the end one that I removed Reva from.

Yin moves up to cover the mid right marker, but didn’t have the move to tag it. Blessed fails to make Bete bury. Cerberus leaps out from bete and charges Yin. Unfortautly I have to cheat 2 12s to make the leap and pass the terror, and I forgot to use imbued energies, so despite 3 heads, I don’t get to do much to yin. What it does do is put engagement on all points of this marker. Reva managed to do some corpse shenanigans and get s to kill the Cerberus in 2 attacks, allowing her to flip the marker she s having to stand on. I get full frame for murder points. The other shield bearer and the doxy drop claim markers for claim jump

Marcus buries Bete again and manages to charge Reva, doing a little damage.

Both Score Squatters. I score 3 for Frame he scores claim (4-2)

Turn 3.

Boris fails to escape around the builing, Wabbit finally kills Boris. Wind gamin leaves the middle marker to drop a scheme marker.. The performer stolls up and claims the right marker. Reva manages to get to the middle marker and claim it. Marcus and the blessed put the pain on Reva.

Both score Squatters and Claim (6-4)

Turn 4

Reva marks Marcus for death, but doesn’t kill him. Marcus kills her and reclaims the middle marker.

The shield bearer can’t kill the performer, and the other shield bearer and Dead doxy have to hold activations as long as possible to stop me seducing their markers away. Wind gamin and Wabbit get scheme markers down for my claim. I can’t remember what Datsuba, Yin and Blessed are doing, but it doesn’t effect the scoring.

He get a claim jump, and I get Squatters. 7-5 (I can’t remember where I missed the claim but I think I have 1 marker ready)

Time is called. Marcus is marked for death and on 1 wound. I’m holding 3 Squat markers and a 4th is inaccessible to him. IF he got a great 5th turn he could mark my Wind gamin (on 1 wound) Mark the performer and kill all 3 of them, and claim second squat marker, but He can’t easily deny me 2 of them and can’t stop my claim jump. Also I have the potential to get the wind Gamin safe, and Marcus will be able to wreck havoc if he goes first. Or Run away lots. Either works to deny points.

• Like 2

Game 3 Stake a claim, Corner deployment.

Eliminate the leader, covert breakthrough, a quick murder, claim jump, leave your mark

Vs Andy with Molly

Marcus (Arcane, damage upgrade and Imbued)

Silurid

Luther (Well rehersed )

Cerberus (Imbued)

Fire starter (imbued)

Jackolope

Performer

Wind Gamin

Molly (Spirit upgrade)

Sybelle (Bleeding lash)

Philip and the nanny

Necropunk

Carrion effigy

2 rotten belles

Chiaki

Stake a claim – My favourite strategy with Marcus. He has so much leap its hard to stop him. I took a performer and the Firestarter as defensive claim droppers, dropping them in my half to remove 2 or more enemy claim markers as needed, where Marcus, the silurid, the Cerberus and Luther can each drop 1 every turn if they want/need.  

I decided that with that much leap in the crew I could almost certainly get to Philip and the nanny, and once I was there I ought to be able to kill him quickly. Sybelle would possibly be harder, so I took Philip as the quick murder target. I also decided that Molly is not a good kill target, but throwing attacks against her to make her discard cards isn’t bad. I’m going to be deep in the enemy half with several models, so its either covert breakthrough or leave your mark, and as Philip is probably going to sit around his deployment, I went for leave your mark, just so if I failed to kill him, I could get my other scheme.

Turn 1 I moved Silurid and Cerberus out to my left, blessed and Wing Gamin a bit more out to the right and the performer and fire starter more to the middle. The necropunks did the drop 2 markers to set up Philip. Chiaki headed over to the same side as the silurid and the Cerberus. The belles and the effigy move forward a little and pulled a few of my models a little nearer to him. Sybelle moved Molly forward. Marcus Alpha’d the Cerberus and was able to drop a claim in the middle.

Molly was able to summon a hanged next to the blessed and close to the wind gamin, but he passed his test. She also summoned an onyro by them both. The hanged was able to whispers from beyond on the blessed. Chiaki was able to insignifigant my Silurid.

Turn 2 The Blessed killed the hanged, leap away and dropped a scheme marker. I was a little worried that he was the quick murder target, and so wanted him safe. Molly managed to summon another hanged by the Cerberus and performer, but his whispers failed to go off. The Cerberus lept and charged Molly, but she was able to use her Df trigger and stones to stop him going mental on the attacks.  The Jacklope managed to kill the hanged. The Onryu killed the wind gamin. Yay I have a free 5” push when I need it. Marcus killed the onryu and Alpha’d Luther who decided to make an attack run on Philip. The Manipulative kept him alive. Philip drew some cards. Sybelle charged the Blessed and managed to get her autokill trigger off, so I used well rehersed (having thought it would be pointless after I wasn’t allowed to heal him) and lived.  

Silurid did very little due to insignifigant. Performer pulled in Chiaki and poisoned her. One of the belles ran over to near the scheme marker and stopped leave your mark.

I scored Stake, Andy scored nothing.

Turn 3

Andy killed of the blessed and quickly drew cards with Philip. The Cerberus took advantage, lept out of combat with Molly and charged Philip. 2 maul triggers later Philip was dead and I still had 2 attacsk on him to go. Oh well, it was a quick death.

The effigy dropped claim on my half removing mine, but the silurd was able to drop one removing his.

Marcus dropped Imbued energies, charged the belle, killed it with the Ml expert attack and dropped a second claim

Molly killed the Firestarter. Sybelle charged the Cerberus got the auto kill trigger and Black jokered the damage. (I had the cards to discard)

The necropunk runs over to stop my leave your mark.

I score Stake, and quick murder, Andy scores 0 (5-0)

Turn 4. Molly puts my Cerberus on negative flips and companions in Sybelle who gets the instakill trigger again, and black jokers the damage flip again (again I had 2 bad cards to discard.

Marcus kills the Necropunk, drops a scheme marker and runs back into the middle. Performer managed to paralyse Chiaki. Effigy runs into my half and drops a scheme marker.

I score stake and leave your mark, andy scores 0 (7-0)

Turn 5

Molly and sybelle finally kill the cat and announce quick murder. Marcus managed to get 2 attacks on the effigy, but misses with the  second, so the effigy lives to run away and drop another marker. (A belle pulled Marcus away). I measure and the performer is just to far away to blow up a marker.

(I completely forgot about the wind gamin push, would have just let me get the marker0

I score Stake and leave your Mark, Andy Scores quick murder (2) and Covert breakthrough (2) 9-4

I’m not sure How Andy was planning on getting his points, he barely crossed the half way line, but that is part of the fun of this sort of Marcus list, we fight in his deployment, and even if I die, he hasn’t got the time to score. I’m not sure a better set of schemes for him here, he wasn’t killy enough to get both A quick murder and Eliminate, and was unlucky with his choice of Quick murder target, (I though he had picked the blessed on turn 2, then he left him alone so I gambled on the attack on Philip).

When the dust settles I end up with 3 wins out of 3, and second overall, 3 VP dif behind Joe. 

• Like 2

Thank you once again for taking the time to write all that and also for showing how "conventional wisdom" is not necessarily the final say when it comes to list building.

I just get such a massive out of your lists!

Though I have to say that the Rabbit vs the Bear in the second game is one of the funniest things I've read in a Malifaux report :D But getting a win out of a game where almost 20SS of your models are fighting one another is pretty amazing! And against Reva no less.

Oh, and congrats on a great performance!

• Like 1

The Rabbit/ Bear fight was epic to watch. I can't understand why more people don't use them. 1 heaveyweight hitting for all its worth, whilst another tries to flee for its life whilst dancing a rumba. I think I failed to dance on Turn 3, and thought I escaped anyway, so didn't cheat. Then, when we got to the Rabbit, my opponent pointed out that they could still see each other along a Line I'd missed because I had a building in the way. 

And whilst I did suffer from them doing nothing to the opponents crew, they did tie up 2 squat markers, meaning Reva had to get 2 from 3 to score each turn and drop 2 scheme markers. So I could claim they helped with the scoring of 4 VP (well I think really it would only have been 2 because I held 2 other markers on 2 of the occasions)  and denied some as well, that would really be trying to make it sound like it was a plan.    I almost got Bete to appear from the dead bear, but then he decided that he really didn't want anything anywhere near the crazy rabbit. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Adran said:

And whilst I did suffer from them doing nothing to the opponents crew, they did tie up 2 squat markers, meaning Reva had to get 2 from 3 to score each turn and drop 2 scheme markers. So I could claim they helped with the scoring of 4 VP (well I think really it would only have been 2 because I held 2 other markers on 2 of the occasions)  and denied some as well, that would really be trying to make it sound like it was a plan.

The most ultimate of all diversions, then! Truly impressive!