Birth patrol ulix is on the run

EpicWaffle

So, I'll start off by saying I'm not a huge fan of ulix, since in all the 4 games I had with him I got quite bored of how he played out (generally with a bunch of big pigs from which to summon, transitioning in a more support role) but, since I'm getting a lot of satisfaction playing new Tt masters I bought, I figured that it might be because I'm getting again that feeling of "discovering" a master, that I don't quite get anymore from my main crews (Somer, Wong and Zipp), where I generally just discover some niche things, but nothing mind blowing (after almost 60 games with Somer it's not that weird).

so, to get on with the topic, I started to analyze the rest of the faction, starting with old man ulix and I had this "core" crew idea of:

Ulix (d.c. Hunting bow, husbandry) 

Old major (corn husk, liquid bravery/quality mash)

the sow

(that's 23ss)

Generally i bring 3 big pigs from which to summon 1 turn, and than generally I keep 1 or 2 close to continue with the piglet/warping summoning, tho I really don't like it. I found this play style really slow, and not that efficient ap wise. With this core, the idea is to summon exclusively from the sow following this order (ideally)

turn 1) 3 piglets (6 wounds) followed by proper care (leaving the sow at 6wounds)

the piglet than proceed to walk in position for setting up the warpig-schemes-triangle next turn

turn2) sow walks into position so that ulix can summon the warping than ulix summons 3 other piglets+ 2 coming out of the sow dying followed by proper care, leaving you with 6 full hp piglets (counting the 3 made turn 1) and 2 with 3hp.

From there you focus either on support/summoning warpigs/summoning piglets out of Major

It's not a ground breaking strategy, but it sounded good to me cause that allows you to "save a summoning turn" thanks to the sow passive ability, and frees up a lot of space in the crew. there are downsides (snipers for example, that can wound the sow before you can do both summonings), but st the same time you could always do something else if you want to save the sow so that she can deal some damages,like skipping a pig summoning for a warpig, to let the sow charge in the thick of battle before dying (while hopefully healing something before so you can get the :+fates)

would be good to have 2 hog whisperer (or one+ Penelope) to control the pig horde. 

It's just an idea I wanted to throw out there, so any feed back is welcome and appreciated :D

• Like 1

Hm, I'm just not so keen on killing the Sow. You'd be down some wounds on your bigger pigs but if you just brought the two piglets instead of The Sow you'd have slightly better activation control earlier, and you'd also have them not slow on a crucial turn. Or imo you'd keep her around as a hitter, particularly if you're bringing a Hog Whisperer, I imagine a Reactivating Sow is pretty scary.

My other critique is no turn 1 War Pig summon. It's pretty easy to set up with a big pig first activation being one walk to pull Ulix and then drop a scheme, with Merris or a couple of cheap models dropping the other two, and then your piglets can be in position for the second War Pig on turn 2 :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Hm, I'm just not so keen on killing the Sow. You'd be down some wounds on your bigger pigs but if you just brought the two piglets instead of The Sow you'd have slightly better activation control earlier, and you'd also have them not slow on a crucial turn. Or imo you'd keep her around as a hitter, particularly if you're bringing a Hog Whisperer, I imagine a Reactivating Sow is pretty scary.

My other critique is no turn 1 War Pig summon. It's pretty easy to set up with a big pig first activation being one walk to pull Ulix and then drop a scheme, with Merris or a couple of cheap models dropping the other two, and then your piglets can be in position for the second War Pig on turn 2 :D

Yeah I did that too, tho I'm not a big fan of warpigs, they're usually unreliable :| I prefer to have them up the field when summoned, so they can directly go in, instead of focusing on getting it out as soon as possible cause most of the time they're just gonna go in and slow down the opponent, but won't bring many vps. Piglets cost less, are easier to get around, and weight less on ulix hps, while being really good for getting schemes out. The idea was centered around maxing out the number of piglets with less turns possible, while avoiding hurting other models and freeing some stones for some less pig-themed models. Migh be me, but just pigs ain't gonna get you far in my experiences. Francois and Burt can do a better job than the sow (since once it goes in, it won't come back, and asa it drops to less than 5 wound, which is pretty easy, its good for nothing) or a warpig, but there are no models that repay them self once they die, and you'll be at 8 piglets turn 2 if all goes well, without having to spend 20 ss in models to keep around for summoning. But again, it's just an idea, asa I can I'll give it s go so I can bring some feedback :) 

edit:

i re-read what I wrote, and I didn't want to sound too arsh >_< Im on board with you and it's in both cases a good critique :) but it's quite staple to what it's usually done with ulix (in a certain sense, "from the manual"), I wanted to try some secondary route, tho doesn't mean it's a good idea :D 

• Like 1

Hello,

I just played a game with Ulix VS Guild Sonnia.  I ran only two Big Pigs and thinking about getting a Mechanized Porkchop or 2 to Summon with ulix.  My list had a lot of card cycling which allowed me to Summon when I needed it.  The strat was Extraction and Schemes were claim jump and Recover evidence.   

Ulix (Husbandry)

Old Cranky

Old Major (Corn husks)

Merris

The Sow

Slop Hauler x2

Sammy (Clobberin' stick)

Old Major became my tank and Merris ran schemes.  The Sow would personally I wouldn't kill her to summon the piglets off of her due to they are AP wasters after she dies.  I like her to use Ulix's prod ability off of her.  Though I can see not liking the support ability of Ulix cause sometimes I feel like his  AP is not doing much.  I want to keep practicing him and probably will change out Sammy for a Mechanized Porkchop plus Dirty cheater on Ulix for some healing.

• Like 1

This is my first post after registration and I want to say hi to all of you!

I'm always taking Penelope for Ulix, in my opinion Cranky works much better with other masters. Her pushes are very good and can be game-changing, if used properly. The Sow is very good model and loosing her in early turns without wrecking some havoc in opponent's crew is wasting SS and good damage output. I agree that Warpigs are unreliable, but Piglets alone deals so little damage and are not intimidating for opponent. OFC, they can slow some models, but they are not killers nor tanks. It's funny, watching opponent focused on killing your summoned Warpig, while 2-3 Piglets and Merris are securing VPs!

• Like 3

Cranky might outshine Penelope due to WP increase, :+fate to DF duels and card cycling with discard a card to draw.  The bonus is that I have used his shotgun to kill things and getting extra soul stones from killing models next to him makes him worth the 2 extra soul stones vs Penelope IMO. 

DF 6 on the piglets is nothing to snuff at, with their potential to push and slow models is nice.  One at a time, piglets are not intimidating but more than one becomes a problem.  Plus they are great A.P. wasters for the enemy.  They are a model to tie up other models, run scheme and cause damage when they can.   

On 5/6/2017 at 4:02 PM, EpicWaffle said:

So, I'll start off by saying I'm not a huge fan of ulix, since in all the 4 games I had with him I got quite bored of how he played out (generally with a bunch of big pigs from which to summon, transitioning in a more support role)

Have you considered outsourcing summoning to Sammy and doing different stuff with Ulix?

3 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Have you considered outsourcing summoning to Sammy and doing different stuff with Ulix?

No I didn't actually! I'm not a big fan of Sammy, so that might be it bit I'll try to figure something out :) thin is tho, what should I do with ulix earlie? It's not like he has a lot of choices until mid turn 2/3

Use him for pig movement.  Activate a piglet or Old Major, double walk it forward with Ulix tagging along.    Activate Ulix, Sooey (hope you don't flip black joker and die immediatly)  and whalla, all your pigs have moved up the board significantly and are ready to get into the action!

Bring hunting bow with him, and you're probably going to be in range of a shot in the rear with whomever pulled Ulix Up-board.

Or you could bring clobberin' stick and have him draw some cards.  Synergizes with Sammy because it triggers her own card cycle.

• Like 3

In my experience, you either summon a Warpig/piglets turn one if you have the cards, or pig movement shenanigans.  Last game I played, I purposely did not take the hunting bow so I would focus more on summoning/prodding things.  Also the needing the rams for shot in the rear is what made me rethink taking the upgrade.

The one issue with delegating summoning to Sammy is that a Warpig takes 4 of her paltry 6 wounds. It's very hard to actually hit her, but it does mean if they can get one hit in she'll probably die, whereas normally she can take a couple. I mean obviously you heal her up, but Ulix is probably the only model in Gremlins that's harder to hit than Sammy.

This is my "typical" Ulix list and I love it.

-Ulix with hussbandry and the bow (liquid bravery if I play against ress or never)

- Old major with corn husks (the best updrade ever)

- Gracie

- The sow

- Penelope (I prefer her instead of old cranky because I obtain more movility)

- Slop Hauler

- Merris (you can choose other model but I like Merris because she brings protection against blast attack, card cycle and scheme runner)

6-7 ss caché

I sometimes use Sammy with Ulix, but with hunting bow instead of husbandry. That way she can hit big porks in the rear, leaving just the summoning for ulix. 

I am not sure if I really like it because it doesn't feel like it's worth 9SS. I am also very fond of penelope with ulix. Try having gracie with 5Wk and a free push, and you'll see how scary she becomes, especially if you can get her to charge from within old major's range