Dhampir

Dhampir's terrain log - Quarantine zone + more to come

Um, to be perfectly honest, I hadn’t really considered how to get the the other floors. I guess ladders will be the way to go, or maybe some strategically placed rubble and crates.

Dear diary, I have not been working on my quarantine table this month. But I did make a present for my wife's birthday, does it count as terrain building...?

76-8F8B0AB9-07B4-441D-B16F-9CA8332E3185-

77-A6F571AD-67B6-49DC-B2A4-713A49513F68-

78-4B5235BD-A6E9-4C85-A5AD-1FF0676C7329-

On a quarantine game board update, we had our first game on the board (in it's non finished state). It had a real street skirmish feel with models ducking in and out of doorways hugging the sides of the streets for cover. I had always planned on using scatter terrain to block LoS down the roads and this became very evident with long sight lines. But, the back alley ways provided lots of cover for sneaky scheme runners which added some interest to the game. Over all it was a lot of fun to play on, and with some tweaking is a great board.

• Like 6

So I think it's time for an update, January has been a busy time organising the Australian Malifaux Nationals, with the highlight (for me at least) was the creation of our custom Supply Wagons for use with Gaining Grounds 2018.
Here it is in it's raw form:
wagon-1.jpg

And here was one of the players painted and customised version:
gremlinWagon.jpg

And onto terrain...
The quarantine table took a bit of a step back while I frantically worked on a demo board to use at the Nationals, the idea being that I utilise the weatherboard Victorian house from my first post onto a small 18" x 18" table for use with Henchman hardcore/Demos.

80-demoBoard.jpg

There is still lots that I want to finish; more ground cover, quick reference in the grey set-up sections. The table had a game of Henchman hardcore on it and it worked really well, but there are some major bottle necks through the house that need to be addressed. So it's time to make some more doors and holes in the walls.

And lastly, I've gotten back to the quarantine board, staining of the wood elements begins:
79-wood-staining.jpg

• Like 5

When I was in Amsterdam, a really cool detail about the houses that stood out was the protruding metal hook anchored outside the houses at the highest point. The internal staircases are too narrow to fit furniture through, so the Dutch open their windows and use a rope and pulley to hoist furniture into the second or third storey, from street level. It'd be fun detail to see a load of heavy crates dangling precariously over the footpath with a block-and-tackle that's been tied off and abandoned mid-hoist. Also, Jack Daw may be able to supply some ideas about what else could be hung from such a hook in a city like Malifaux... 

• Like 1

I have plans to add some whinches to the warehouses for this exact purpose, but I'm sure that could be a cool addition to the other buildings too.

• Like 1

The staining on the wood, is it just washes on balsa? It looks amazing! What paints are you using?

6 hours ago, emiba said:

The staining on the wood, is it just washes on balsa? It looks amazing! What paints are you using?

Combination of paddlepop sticks (coffee stirrer for all you statesiders) and balsa.

It's black acrylic with a small amount of either green or yellow ochre added to it and watered down to a very thin wash, then the wood is soaked in batches of the different washes so that they all have a different hue. This is all done before construction, then just mix them up and you build.

Do you need to cut them up before the soaking or do they soak right through?