Dhampir's terrain log - Quarantine zone + more to come

Dhampir

Welcome to Dhampir's terrain log. Firstly I would like to preface this post with the following caveat. I suck at documenting things, so this may end up being more of a collection of random finished terrain or images of stuff I'm working on in no particular order.

So let's begin. Firstly I built this dedicated table (during a lunch break) out of scraps of timber that I had in the workshop. It is 3' x 3' and I still need to finish the removable shelves that sit on the side for cards and models. The idea being that you can set up your terrain first and then depending on deployment add your 'player space' on the required side.

01-table.jpg

• Like 3

For the Dutch town house:

The door is 30mm x 45mm. 

The window is measured in lego. 4 dots x 3 dots. I used lego to glue, cut and frame the styrene window to keep it all square. It's based on a  rough scale calculation of 20mm x 30mm

EDIT: I measured and the windows are 2.4mm x 3.3mm.

Edited by Dhampir
I measured.
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2017 at 3:47 PM, Paddywhack said:

I'm curious to see your shelves for the table and how they attach. I really like that idea and may steal it as I still haven't built my table yet. 

So.... any chance you'd show us how you are doing your movable shelves for the table? or is it a trade secret ;) 

On 5/31/2017 at 8:06 AM, Paddywhack said:

So.... any chance you'd show us how you are doing your movable shelves for the table? or is it a trade secret ;) 

Ha ha, no trade secret, I just haven't done them yet. Need to buy some more timber and work/life has gotten in the way.

15 hours ago, Dhampir said:

Ha ha, no trade secret, I just haven't done them yet. Need to buy some more timber and work/life has gotten in the way.

Cool. I'm just curious how you are doing it as I've been thinking about it myself and haven't come up with a good way yet. I'm not that skilled as a carpenter though, so you may have a way I wouldn't have thought of myself and I'm curious. Well...I'll likely steal it if I have the tools to do it ;) 

Thanks! The U track is a good idea I hadn't thought of and likely easier to implement than what I was thinking. I am still thinking I'm going to make mine a 'box' so that the sides supports are square with another shelf under it. This way they can sit flat on another table if needed and I like having a lower shelf to put things like dead models or tokens so they are easy to get to, but not in the way of play. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More updates, Roofing structures are in place, ready for tiling, wall detail added and base layer of ground work added. I had originally thought to make the pieces modular but due to warping of the base card I'm thinking of moving back to the MDF. The original idea was to use a slightly thinner card and then apply ground material so that the final thickness would match the thickness of the sidewalk. 

26-New-Amsterdam-15.jpg

27-New-Amsterdam-16.jpg

28-New-Amsterdam-17.jpg

29-New-Amsterdam-18.jpg

30-New-Amsterdam-19.jpg

31-New-Amsterdam-20.jpg

32-New-Amsterdam-21.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry, progress has slowed a little... But finally here is a small update.
Building has started on the warehouses. These have been split into their respective floors and magnetized.

33-New-Amsterdam-22.jpg

*Tape for temporary stability as we align magnets

34-New-Amsterdam-23.jpg

Buildings in their positions. We're going to need to add some blocking terrain on the roads to stop those nasty Guild and their long range rifles.

35-New-Amsterdam-24.jpg

36-New-Amsterdam-25.jpg

37-New-Amsterdam-26.jpg

38-New-Amsterdam-27.jpg

The patchwork modular ground looks appalling (in my opinion) which is why I've rebuilt it. There is now a solid MDF board underneath that the buildings will attach to (via magnets). This is currently drying - takes a while in our minus degrees weather but photos to come. It has added extra height to the dirt area so it now sits proud of the pavement, which is not ideal, but bearable.

Next up, painting and then adding the weathered wood to the houses, and adding detail to the warehouses. And for the more astute of our viewers you may notice that there is still a rather empty section of the table. There has been a slight deviation from the original plan... #spoilers

• Like 4