Starting Hoffman

Fazza92

Yesterday I tried Hoffman for the first Time,against a friend at his second game in Malifaux ,that idem Titania.

extraction+ search the ruins and recover evidence (me and opponent)

Titania is very simple in this strategy and scheme,very very easy...The game is finished 9-9 only Beacause that's the second run of my friend,against a skilled player probably I've been lose.

But...Hey!Hoffman is very enjoy to play!I really enjoy it!I've ever considered he a low tier choice(10 wounds only...)and a boring choice but yesterday I've found he very funny.So,can Hoffman be played competitive?What models I need to have with he?

yesterday I've played with Hoffman ,2 Hunters,Miss Step,Guardian,watcher and a Performer(+5SS)

Biggest issue Hoffman has is he absolutely sucks versus Outcasts as he wants to hire constructs but constructs rely on Armor as their main defensive ability. Outcasts have 2 Relic Hammers and 3 Masters that Ignore armor.

I think the Emissary is a very good pick as he has Df6 and Sh6 so he covers up the 2 things Hoffman is missing for Power Loop.

I actually take Joss a lot more than Howard but Howard or PK are also a very stable pick (as is Ryle). 1-2 Watchers if the schemes require. You can take the Child, Loop 2 things and then kill the Child to have 2 models permalooped if you have 11:tome and another 11. I also like Mobile Toolkit because its cheap, its an activation and :+fate to Ml or damage are very good.

• Like 2

Seconding the emissary with Hoffman.  If you use papa or the Toolkit to give it + damage flips, and extra attacks from hoffman, it really becomes a devastating opponent.

I've always been a fan of the peacekeeper with hoff too.  It just always does work, and really likes hoffman's ability to heal.

• Like 1

Yeah,a peacekeeper with armor 3 is good to protect Charles I've noticed...

It's ability to discard all scheme is also good and can be copied by Charles.

Maybe the Peacekeeper and the Emissary are similar...But With a Guardian I found more solid the Pk...

I've never thinked to kill the child for have two loops...

In the "I can't believe I forgot to try this earlier" ideas bin, a few games ago I had Hoffman and the guardian plus extra armor back-to-back and casting protect on one another (via O.S.A.) so they could flip defense well, and saving the high cards in hand to block all attempts to push them apart. They survived three turns of a 35ss crew assault.

• Like 1

Great points above, I'm taking notes!

I'm just starting on my adventures with Hoffman too, but there are a few things that I can see to try out.

I think I'm going to see if he can become my go to master for Stake a Claim, even though he likes to ball up.  I want to try Langston with Programmed Directive running up the side of the board; nimble, dropping claim markers for 1 AP.  If you have Leave your mark in the pool even better, he can drop the scheme marker for a (0) too!

Combine with Soulstone miners (and/or a hunter with hydraulics to give him nimble on top of his 3" push at the end of the turn) to put out a few claim markers early on turn 2, pressure your opponent to get those markers down.

Using Howard for dropping markers seems a tad counterproductive. A 4SS Watcher does it probably better. It has wk6 and flight and while it lacks nimble with 1 machine puppet with push it can be very good in Stake a Claim or do LYM

4 minutes ago, trikk said:

Using Howard for dropping markers seems a tad counterproductive. A 4SS Watcher does it probably better. It has wk6 and flight and while it lacks nimble with 1 machine puppet with push it can be very good in Stake a Claim or do LYM

The problem I have faced is that Watchers near the action die very quickly, and Watchers away from the action are slowed by the need to drop markers, and get hunted by things that can engage them and survive, or just kill them.  My hope is Howard is mean enough to be something a model chosen to negate scheme runners can't deal with, and the choice is then to invest in going after him with something bigger, or leave him to it. I justify the investment of points to myself because winning stake a claim is an 8 point swing.

Heaven knows that I'm not particularly competent at this game so it may be that I'm just using watchers wrong ;)

Most things that engage the watcher are ml4-5. If he's Looped he will probably be df6 so he can get out of engagement. If he's not he can be machine puppeted wih mask to autoleave most engagements.

Howard can also be engaged by a cheap model and has the same result. You either disengage with Nimble or need 2 attacks to kill most models.

If the watcher is too fragile I'd consider a hunter as middle ground

2 minutes ago, trikk said:

Most things that engage the watcher are ml4-5. If he's Looped he will probably be df6 so he can get out of engagement. If he's not he can be machine puppeted wih mask to autoleave most engagements.

Howard can also be engaged by a cheap model and has the same result. You either disengage with Nimble or need 2 attacks to kill most models.

If the watcher is too fragile I'd consider a hunter as middle ground

It does sound like I am using my Watchers further away from Hoffman than you do; I don't think I've ever looped a watcher, or had them in range to Machine Puppet.  That may be my issue.

As I said I'm only a few games in with Hoffman, so plenty of room to experiment with positioning.  The mask trigger on Machine Puppet is a good suggestion - I really haven't absorbed the power of that trigger into my games at all - thanks! :)

1 hour ago, Torsul said:

Sceme runner Howard is on a whole other level than a Watcher. And if he scores you save VPs, thats how you win the game, especially if Hoffman and some other Constructs can hold the Enemy themselfes in the center. A regular opponent of mine does Sceme-Howard (with Arcanists) pretty often and very successful.

Anyone who has ever tried to classify models in this game is screaming and/or crying while reading this ;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Anyone who has ever tried to classify models in this game is screaming and/or crying while reading this ;)

To be fair, Howard Langston in a Hoffman crew does tend to attract screaming and/or crying as a general rule. :D

"He's fast again?!"

"What do you mean, immune to conditions?!"

"Why does the minimum damage 4 bad man keep hitting me?!"

"Don't you even DARE..."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gnomezilla said:

To be fair, Howard Langston in a Hoffman crew does tend to attract screaming and/or crying as a general rule. :D

"He's fast again?!"

"What do you mean, immune to conditions?!"

"Why does the minimum damage 4 bad man keep hitting me?!"

"Don't you even DARE..."

I was heartbroken the first time I realised that you couldn't put targeting systems on Howard... :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

I was heartbroken the first time I realised that you couldn't put targeting systems on Howard... :)

I knoooooow...:(

Although it broke my heart more to realize that, while I could give Hoffman rams instead, it wouldn't affect Machine Puppet where he can make good use of extra rams.

1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

I agree!  However, you can take the Emissary, give it targeting systems, machine puppet it to bury Howard, and then machine puppet it again to give it fast and move forward.  The Emissary can discard targeting systems, copy Howard's (1) Ml action, and gain the rams to 3 attacks for the auto-trigger.  It takes a lot of setup and it's very telegraphed.  But it can be done!

• Like 2

Next extraction/guard the stash I want to try a list similar:

50 SS Guild Crew
Hoffman + 5 Pool
 - On Site Assimiliation (2)
 - Field Mechanic (2)
 - Arcanist Assets (1)
Mechanical Attendant (2)
Howard Langston (12)
 - A Debt To The Guild (1)
Brutal Emissary (10)
 - Conflux of Amalgamation (0)
Guardian (7)
Hunter (7)
Watcher (4)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

Cool, let us know how it works out.

Another 7 model crew. So far in guild I've played Perdita and just starting Hoffman, and I've noticed that my guild crews are often quite small.

Is that a guild thing, or the masters that I've chosen, or should I be padding out my lists with dogs?

It's more or less a guild thing. There's a reason we got that upgrade that only works when you are heavily out-activated in the last wave of stuff. That being said I think Hoffman and Perdita are the worst offenders. :) 

I am a fan of taking the effigy and 2-3 hounds to pad activations (haven't really tried it in Hoffman, I feel the toolkit, attendat and a couple of watchers should outshine the hounds in that role). These days reporters also feel solid for any guild master. It is also why I like to play both McCabe and Lucius, they seem to have an easier time getting more models in their crews.

• Like 2

Yesterday I tried Hoffman for second time...

I'm been devasted by Marcus...3-8 for him.

I use :

Hoffman with O.S.A and field mechanic

Ryle with a debt to guild

Emissary with conflux of amalgamation

Hunter,Watcher,Guardian

My opponent use:

Marcus,Myranda,Miss step,Jackalope,2 raptor,Cojo and Angelica.

Extraction,search the ruins,hunting party,eliminate the leaders and leave your mark.

I choose claim jump and hunting party.

hot consideration:

Marcus is too powa,in the first turn double activate Miss step and kill my Hunter at 24" 

Second turn I bury Miss step with Emissary and Marcus activate my emissary to unbury she.

3/4 turn Marcus activate my Master...I think that the opportunity to theft the opponent master is too big.

Ryle is a good damage Dealer and with 7Soulstone is very resistant(more than peacekeeper?)

Emissary is a very good pieces in this list.

I've tried hard manage the actions of Charles,can anyone explaine me a starting move for The first turn of Hoffman?

With Guild i try too hard place scheme marker....I've selected claim jump but it was impossible to me place any scheme...

I flipped black Joker on initiative 3/5 turns...lol