Starting Army

CaladanCid

What did everyone pick up from the KS for a starting force?

So far I've just got the Commander pledge plus a box of Electrocutioners. I am thinking of running mainly infantry to offset the high cost of squads. 

Any thoughts on essentials or multiple units to purchase?

I have an idea about playing Legion with Prince for reinforcements tokens and increasing their resilience by Active Defenses Armor. I agree that 12 points is almost half of Scrip from one commander, but I hope they are worth it.

• 11 months later...

So far I have the Commander Pledge (with all the stretch goals), 2 additional Rail guns, an the Electrocutioners.

I fought hard with the idea of the Steel Legion and even the Mobile Infantry, but that seems like a huge script sink, in what I am assuming is going to be a low point environment in the early months after release. 

I added the mechanized infantry as my only additional squad. Having them get increasing accuracy bonuses each time they shoot something looks like it'll go really well with extra shooting actions from an engineer and a prototype asset. They are also a scrip cheaper than the Mehal sefari making them easier to fit into lists (especially with an engineer). Increasing the AV bonus gives them a better chance of hitting the eureka trigger bonus to flip to glory.

Having a titan in the squad also has synergies with kassa who I also added on to let me bring units across between kings empire and Abyssinia.

Electrocutioners were quite tempting too and I spent a while deciding between them and the mechanized infantry. Their ability to keep using prototype assets without discarding seems amazing as you don't auto refresh your hand every turn like in malifaux. Area attack on their guns seems awesome as there's only the odd couple of area attacks elsewhere in Abyssinia. AV 9 on their claws also seems great for increasing your chances to hit eureka and flip to glory. The lower scrip cost of the mechanized infantry and the synergies with kassa to get two titans in a possible kings empire list is what tipped it for me.

The marauder was also a tempting pick as it's ability to take any action after a rush means the squad could rush 18" and then hit an objective marker seems like it could be an amazing late turn objective runner. It does look to have a much lower resilience than baso cav or crow runners which are reasonably quick and come in the commander pledge. It was basically the $ for the marauder that stopped me.