Guild card draw/control

RustAndTheCity

I've been playing a few games with Nellie recently. She tends to like cards for a lot of things. Card control is a very powerful mechanic in this game.

What ways do guild have to gain cards, make enemy discard cards, and to need less cards (ex. Positive flips)? Here are a few I have thought of. I'd love to hear more.

Drawing extra cards

-arcane reservoir on printing press

-debt to the guild

-master kill with brutal effigy

Discarding enemy cards

-austringer trigger

-executioner kill trigger

Gaining positive flips/raising stats

-queeg or sidir or McCabe with promises

-aura ancestral on Perdita

-el mayor for defense

I'd love to hear some more ideas!

• Like 1

The scales of justice can give cards,  as can lust.  Guardian gives def stance and papa gives :+fate to damage flips.   Lady j can give plusses to ml attack flips when she kills things iirc.  Lucius has a  :+fate ml abd wp aura for some models and lawyers give :+fate to horror duels while guild sarge gives:+fate to wp duels in general.  Scribe has a +1 def aura,  and daschel gives guardsmen zero action focus and :+fate on sh under 10 inches.

• Like 2

A few witch hunters have a crow trigger to force a discard 1, and exorcists the discard 2 provided they have made the target undead. Card draw is something that happens to other people, though. We have the mercenary solutions, that's most of it. Pathfinders draw 1 per turn on a kill within 6", if you have those.

• Like 2

I have been trying to compile a personal list recently, with the various ways for card interaction Guild have.

Hopefully you will be able to decipher it too. ;) 

Card Draw Mechanic explanation:

If + means that the mechanic have any required Suits Build-in.

If -  means that the mechanic does not have any required Suits Build-in.

" "  Are either Abilities or Conditions that enables Card Draw

Card Draw Mechanic (Build-in +/-)

(RB)Scales of Justice(Lady Justice)+
(RB)Perdita Ortega+
(RB)Sonnia+

(CR)Brutal Effigy+
(CR)Guild Pathfinder+
(CR)Wastrel+ "Bravado"

(SL)Master Queeg-
(SL)Nurse Heartsbane+ "In the name of research"
(SL)Orderly+ "In the name of research"
(SL)Emissary of Fate - Brutal Conflux+

(RF) The Printing Press (Nellie Cochrane)+ "Arcane Reservoir +1"
(RF-UG)A Debt To The Guild - Non-Master+

Mercenary - Card Draw Mechanic (Build-in +/-)

(RB)Hannah(Outcast)+ "Arcane Reservoir +1"

(RB)Ronin(Outcast)+ "Seppuku"

(CR)Sue(Outcast)+ "Hurt"

(SL)Anna Lovelace(Resurrectionists)+ "Rush of Magic"

(SL)Bloodwretch(Neverborn)+ "The Rage Builds"
(CR)Big Jake(Outcast)+ "Consult the Ancestors"

------------------------------

Discard Mechanic explanation:

If + it means that the mechanic have any required Suits Build-in.

If - it means that the mechanic does not have any required Suits Build-in.

" "  Are either Abilities or Conditions applied that can force Discards.

If (**) indicates some form of Assassination trigger.

Discard Mechanic (Build-in +/-)  / (Assassination Trigger(**)):

(RB)The Judge+ "Arrest"
(RB)Nino Ortega- (**)
(RB)Witchling Stalker-
(RB)Guild Austringer
(RB)Guild Guard+ "Arrest"
(RB)Executioner- (**)
(RB-UG)Counterspell Aura - Sonnia+ "Grounded"

(CR)Exorcist- (**Undead Only)/"Pinned"
(CR)Witchling Handler-
(CR-UG)Surprisingly Loyal - Lucius ===> (CR)Mr. Tannen (Neverborn / Ten Thunders)+ "Cooler"
(CR-UG)Arcanist Assets - C. Hoffman ===> (RB)Howard Langston (Arcanists)- (**)

(SL)Master Queeg-
(SL)Dr. Grimwell-
(SL)Nurse Heartsbane-
(SL)Greed+ "Take What Is Yours"

(RF)Allison Dade- ""How Long Have You Been In Crowe's Pocket?""
(RF)Field Reporter- ""Under Scrutiny""
(RF)Witchling Thrall+

Mercenary - Discard Mechanic (Build-in +/-) /  (Assassination Trigger(**)):

(RB)Hans (Outcast)+ "To the Highest Bidder"

(CR)McTavish (Gremlin)- "Swallow hole" (**)
(CR)Ama No Zako (Outcast/Ten Thunders)- (**) (Ht 1 or Paralyzed Only)

(SL)Sloth (Resurrectionists)+ "Lazy Sunday"
(SL)Envy (Arcanists)- "Obsessed"
(SL)Wrath (Neverborn)+ "Hellhound On My Trail"
(SL)Pride (Outcast)- "Bad Role Model" / "This Song Is All About You" / "Solo"
(SL)Gluttony (Gremlins)+ "Come On In My Kitchen"
(SL)Lust (Ten Thunders)+ "Looking For a Soul to Steal" / "Dream Maker"

-----------------------------

Edited by Jernmajoren
Added Sue and Big Jake; Added Hannah, Ronin and Hans
  • Like 1

Sue and Big Jake are both Mercs and hurt themselves to draw cards. I haven't tried it yet but those two plus Hannah will make for some great hand control.

I unintentially destroyed an opponent's hand with Austringer's Mask trigger with a couple Thralls beating people up. Good times.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, (Sarcasm) said:

Would you mind clarifying which ability allows Sonnia to draw cards please? (also not sure what RB means here)

Her sword has a trigger that lets her draw cards based on the number of Rams in her duel total, with 1 built in (I think RB is the rule book, he has said which book the model came from). So with a Ram card and a stone she can draw 3 cards from 1 AP. 

Honestly, I think its one of the best triggers in the game. If only Sonnia could survive in combat for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Adran said:

Her sword has a trigger that lets her draw cards based on the number of Rams in her duel total, with 1 built in (I think RB is the rule book, he has said which book the model came from). So with a Ram card and a stone she can draw 3 cards from 1 AP. 

Honestly, I think its one of the best triggers in the game. If only Sonnia could survive in combat for a bit.

Badge of Office says hello. ;) 

With Nellie in particular, I've started taking Bloodwretches as mercenaries. Those things are brutal if you can give them Fast, and Nellie with Delegation happens to be very good at giving out Fast. If a Bloodwretch does its Rage Builds action and then charges in, it attacks at positive flips, has a 3/4/6 track, and every time it damages you draw 2 cards then discard 1. When I was particularly card starved I sent one in against the Printing Press - with the Press' Armour 2 and being able to ensure weak damage, the Press took 2 damage total and I got to cycle cards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PanzerHarris said:

Badge of Office says hello. ;) 

Give her Frank, and the badge she does pretty well in combat, with her sword drawing cards and healing her, and then inferno to clear away the chaff. But she still can't stand with the big girls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (Sarcasm) said:

Would you mind clarifying which ability allows Sonnia to draw cards please? (also not sure what RB means here)

1 hour ago, Adran said:

This :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adran said:

It doesn't specify enemy model so if you brought her totem and do weak damage you can ping it for a single point of damage per hit to set up some nice card draw. You could also hit anything with armor 1 like a watcher that you might have in your crew anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

It doesn't specify enemy model so if you brought her totem and do weak damage you can ping it for a single point of damage per hit to set up some nice card draw. You could also hit anything with armor 1 like a watcher that you might have in your crew anyway.

If you swing at lust, you could use her defensive trigger to also draw cards.  (especially if you used a guardian on lust to get the tomes).  The damage would be more of an issue though.

One card engine I have used is use a guardian to put lust at plus flips, and then attack it repeatedly with a sanctioned spellcaster's close up attack.  The SS is doing min 1 to lust, and charging up its soulburst, while lust is getting you cards.  I haven't tried it with Nellie, now I will have to.