Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- May

prof_bycid

10 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

I really like what you did with Molly's dress.

Thanks! Lots of layers starting from a brown and working up to a pale yellow. there was also a brown and green wash in there at some point. It really captured the idea of a dress that was at one point beautiful, but is now worn and faded. And blood stained since she is constantly spitting up blood. I haven't kept up closely with the fluff - does she still do that since becoming a Master?

• Like 1

Update: I added and/or potentially changed a few models on my list this month. Specifically, more things I can take with Lucius for a tournament later this month. So, a WIP of my Wardens with my Guild Seargent, Brutal Effigy, Doppleganger, and two converted Changelings from the Mysterious Emissary. Also may get to the Sonia Avatar as the Brutal Emissary, but not suuuuuuper likely.large.20170513_175500.jpg.b43148cacbb881b465742d01ff191f2c.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

@Burnin' Coal That mounted guard looks amazing.  Whatever you are doing to blend the colors while still having definition between the different articles of clothing is awesome.

Thanks prof :)....It's all a giant experiment to be honest as entering this competition got me really looking to see how other people get their results...so last month I bought some Vallejo glazing medium...the figure was primed black then lots of thin layers of color were built up leaving it darker towards the edges of each item of clothing with it almost pure black where the shirt hits the jacket,the jacket hits the cape etc...the definition on the model itself is very crisp so that helped a lot 

• Like 3

Alright, the mid-month WIP pic:

DzQTojn.jpg

Primordial Magic and Lilitu are done (well, need to varnish them, but no more painting...). I started with some base colors for Lelu (I really need to stop priming everything black. Red on black is such a pain in the ass, took me about 10 layers to get to that, and the black is still shining through in some parts.) Miss Ery got assembled and a little base. Going for the impression that something broke out of the floor and possessed the Teddy, will paint some glowing light (purple? green? blue?) in the hole and match her eyes, we'll see. I should be able to finish Lelu in May, but more than that will be tough...

• Like 3

@Viruk love the red constructs - I always default to painting robot type things silver, but seeing yours perhaps I'll mix it up a bit when I get round to my Ramos crew.

Finished up my May goal with some time to spare. Here's Snowstorm and two Ice Dancers for a total of 23ss. I still haven't got round to doing any snow, so think I'll actually just wait until I've finished the last 4 frozen heart models I have to paint!

IMG_0530%202_zpsmvwtrrew.jpgIMG_0529%202_zpsj7sgw1us.jpg

Looking at the photos I can see the eyes aren't quite right... might go back and tidy them up but always worried I'll make things worse! :)

• Like 9

Knocked out 2 metal Silent Ones. After taking around 4 hours each on Rasputina and Snow Storm it was a nice change of pace to do some speed painting. These two went from "ready for paint" to "painted and based" in 2 hours.

This brings my total for the month up to 38ss. I want to at least get Angelica and 2 Ice Dancers done by Origins which seems achievable.

IMG_20170521_111610617_zpsbsu0kwel.jpg

• Like 5

@Sandmann  I would go for painting the hat brim.  There are some nice details in there that it would bring out.  Maybe something between the brown of the hat and white so the difference is viable but not to distracting, like a Vallejo Light Sand?  I love the detail you put into the gauges on the back.  The red on white makes this little thing stand out nicely.

• Like 3

My May. Because of some circumstances I didn't paint exactly what I said I will. But if it'll count... In total: Molly (15 ss), Valedictorian (10 ss) , Student of Steel (7 ss),  carion effigy (4 ss), arcane effigy (4 ss), guild autopsy (12 ss),  Bete Noir (8 ss),  Mechanical Rider (12 ss) and Philipe and Nanny (8 ss). 80 ss total.

HSxJiBjD5yA.jpgQjzdCCQOFd8.jpgYfFLhAex1dk.jpgzuFQ9aBD9Fk.jpgpGOOkm61WfU.jpg

FcaNAk9LsuE.jpgZZUy4xGpZVE.jpgShHStbZg32g.jpgnnOhBX0BRMA.jpg

GCIH7pi6EpY.jpgYNCKexYayAY.jpg

• Like 9

Wow, here's some cool stuff going on!

@Viruk I really love the Hoffman Crew in reds, looks really amazing! Nice alternative scheme, making it less steam-punky, more sci-fi (I always seem to combine steampunk and brass in my mind), but the effect is beautiful nonetheless! And those bases are just sexy as hell, especially the tapestry!

@Sandmann Beautiful old lady, the model is a blast but your painting makes it even better. Looking forward to see the finished Guild Lawyer :-)

@RikLok Very Good idea using Skinks as alternatives. it seems as if you have used Army Painter? Since the models are really glossy but I think a good coat of satin varnish will help! Love the vibrant colours on the skinks :-D

@Kutslo The colour scheme on Snow Storm is really cool and the light colours give it a very good overall look. The Ice Dancers are fantastic, too, I especially like the ice effect on their bases! Well done!

- - - -

I am finished for this month (yay!)

Since we are planning a campaign and I want to come pig-heavy, I changed my monthly goals (@prof_bycid Sorry for making your job more complicated again :-/) , which now consists of Ulix (15ss), Gracie (10ss), 6 stuffed piglets (12ss)

Here are the pigs, unpainted:

Painting%20Challenge%20May%20Schweine%20

And here they are, painted:

Painting%20Challenge%20May%20Ulix_zpsibb

Painting%20Challenge%20May%20Stuffed%20P

Painting%20Challenge%20May%20Gracie_zpsh

Hope you like them :)

• Like 9