Orphan Built-in Suits

Flib Jib

I keep seeing for a lack of a better term, “Orphan Built-in Suits” Many actions scattered over random models seem to have arbitrary built-in suits. When a suit is included but is not required in the TN nor is there a trigger I don’t see the reason for the included suit.  I have looked deeper in a couple examples seeing if there were synergy between models somehow but still do not see any correlation.

I would love to have this thread accomplish two things:

1. Be a place where people can find and post Orphan Suits 
  2. Be a place where people who might be in-the-know can answer the mysteries.

SAMAEL HOPKINS:
(1) Flaming Bullets (Ca 5:ram / TN: 13 / Rg: :ranged8):

Molly Squidpiddge:
(1) Whispered Secret (Ca 6:crow / Rst: Wp / Rg: 8)

Seishin:
(1) Howling Fury (Ml 4:crow / Rst: Wp / Rg: :melee1)

Jaakuna Ubume:
(0) Denial of Sanzu (Ca 6:crow / Rst: Wp / Rg: 8):

Rafkin:
(1) Flask of Formaldehyde (Sh 5:crow / Rst: Df / Rg: :ranged6)
(0) Unnecessary Surgery (Ml 5C / Rst: Df / Rg: y1):

Colette Du bois:
(0) The Saber Trick (Ca 7:tome / Rst: Df or Wp / Rg: 4)

Kaeris:
(1) Immolate (Ca 7:tome / Rst: Wp / Rg: z10 or :melee2)

The Captain:
(1) Wind Wall (Ca 6:tome / TN: 10 / Rg: 12):

Coryphee:
(1) Dance Partner (Ca 5:tome / TN: 9:mask / Rg: 14)

Fire Gamin:
(1) Burning Claws (Ml 5:tome / Rst: Df / Rg: :ranged1)

3 hours ago, Durza said:

The suits are future proofing, there could be upgrades in the future that add triggers to those actions. 

that's what I figured. either that or(I didn't go digging through my cards to check) there already are upgrades that use them.

6 hours ago, Durza said:

The suits are future proofing, there could be upgrades in the future that add triggers to those actions. 

I mean to be fair if they wanted to add a built in trigger via an upgrade, they could have the upgrade add the suit too, there are already upgrades that add suits to actions. But it does feel a bit more elegant this way.

I think one reason for it is consistency - e.g. if a model has two actions with the same stat they'll often have the same inbuilt suits even if they don't need them in one action or the other. For example Sebastian has several Ca 6:crow actions, including Bloody Harvest which doesn't use the crow at all. I think it's partly a holdover from first edition where models had one cast stat and used it for all their spells. What I find weirder is when there are orphaned suits on actions that could be used for a different action which does require them, but they are conspicuously missing from there, e.g. Brewmaster has Masks built into a couple of his casts (but not Obey which actually requires it) or Sammy LaCroix with a Crow built into Jynx (but not Putrefy, which requires it)

• Like 3