How did your last game go?

4thstringer

It's a simple question.   So let's make it a bit deeper:

Who did you play? 

What were your and your opponent's list?

On a scale from 1-10 how competitive would you say the game was? 

What were the strat and scheme pool?

Why did you take the schemes you did?

What worked? What didnt?

What would you do with the same pool next time?

It's a simple question.   So let's make it a bit deeper:

Who did you play? 

Nellie

Me:

Nellie w/ Guild Funds, Delegation, Misleading Headlines

Master Queeg w/ Debt to the Guild, Promises

Phiona Gage w/ Debt to the Guild, Transparency (this was a psych out)

Peacekeeper w/ Debt to the Guild

Executioner w/ Ready to Work

Field Reporter

Printing Press

Opponent:

Lilith w/ Living Blade, Wicked Mistress

Barbaros w/ Cyclone Crash and Fears Given Form

Mature Nephilim w/ Mimic's Blessing

2 Terror Tots

Primordial Magic

Young Nephilim

Lilitu

This was tournament practice; I want to see if I felt like Promises was as gross as I thought it would be on all these big beater models - it was pretty nasty.  I felt like my list was pretty competitive, but my opponents could be optimized a little more.  So I'd say an 8.

Standard Deployment; Headhunter; Claim Jump, Frame, Leave your Mark, Search the Ruins, A Quick Murder

Frame for Murder - Peacekeeper and A Quick Murder - Mature Nephilim

What worked? What didnt?

It ended 9-3; My Quick Murder and his Frame Target were the same, which is fine.  I felt confident that I could just kill his crew and pick up markers all day.  I only got two points for Frame, because Lilith BJ'd one of her attacks.  I really liked the Promises/Debt to the Guild Combo.  The sheer amount of high quality attacks meant that I was hitting very often, and very hard.  The PK was moderate 7'ing Barbaros.

Probably the same; though I feel like this crew is really good at Search the Ruins too; Phiona and Nellie can lay down just a ton of scheme markers with attacks.

• Like 2

My last game was Hoffman v. Collette

I brought double steam arachnids swarms, a guardian, a malifaux child, two watchers, 2 steam arachnids and a field reporter

My opponent brought colette, def 7 carlos, def 7 cassandra, a performer, johan, a raptor, and a mannequin.

it was a semi competitive game, maybe a 4, as we threw the lists together kind of blindly, and were rushing the game.

The strat was interference, and the schemes were frame, dig, claim jump, eliminate, and set up.

I took frame because my opponent had 2 henchmen and I figured he had to kill my swarms.  I took eliminate the leader because I thought I could focus in on her, eat her markers near her, and take her down.

My opponent took set up and claim jump, which the steam arachnids ability to get rid of markers really messed up.

Because of his doves and raptor, I struggled to get interference, and there was a scrum in the middle.  I had trouble keeping the arachnid swarms  power looped in.  The swarms survived a little too well, so no frame, but I was able to deny everything to my opponent.  I was able to kill Colette in the 4th or 5th, despite her healing to full by saccing Cassandra.  I 

If I were to do it again, I would try to do dig their graves instead of Frame.  I am just not good at frame in general, and I think my opponents have been looking for it.  Self healing armored models dont go down easy enough either.

I would also not bring quite so many models without any offensive abilities.  The need to kill doves and raptors was real.

• Like 1

My last game was introducing a new player, crew box vs. crew box. He picked Ironsides (and had the errata) and I was in a mood to play Hoffman [and so had vacated the "I just bought Mei Feng!!!" table in a hurry ;)]. Usually newbie games are as lightly competitive as possible, but on facing three minions which ignored armor and one relic hammer, I decided 'no freebies'. Call it 3 out of 10 for competitiveness.

Strategy was extraction, scheme pool claim jump, eliminate the leadership (I winced), accusation, recover evidence, hunting party. I told him outright that my crew selection found hunting party impossible to score. There was enough cover that I trusted the modified watcher to solo claim jump, and out of the unpalatable remaining options accusation could be done in combat, and Ironsides would always be in combat. He took eliminate the leadership knowing that his crew could put the hurt on mine, and surprised me greatly on turn three with recover evidence!

I sacrificed the hunters early to put as much slow on the slowable Oxfordians as possible to shut down furious casting and pull them apart for fewer tomes on the casting: that worked. I modded the watcher and gave it fast as much as I could: that worked. I ran in the mechanical attendant to shut down Hand-Picked Men: that worked GREAT! I had Hoffman OSA protect and reflect it back onto the guardian so my bros back-to-back would stay at defensive +2 pretty much all game: that worked amazingly well as Hoffman was still alive at the end of turn five as the guardian had only just died...and then we flipped a turn six.

He ran Ironsides in to glue Hoffman in place: that worked until I recalled the watcher and pushed him out of combat. He used the Captain to reposition his own instead of destroying the guardian immediately: that did not work at all. He used the mages to snipe out the hunters as my only real damage dealers: that worked.

If I were to do it again, when I broke and fled on turn six, I would have gone for pure distance instead of losing a few inches to try for cover, which let the Captain push an Oxfordian close enough to finish Hoffman off. Game ended 10-8 to Ironsides where it could have been 8-8. Otherwise I wouldn't change anything, it was one of my better games recently, I didn't misstep anywhere else except maybe trying to hit Ironsides once, but I think that was a turn where I had already earned accusation. He earned that win though. I made the mistake of hitting Ironsides once and he chained that adrenaline into a 2AP-1AP-2AP series of punches on Hoffman before he ran out of adrenaline.

Who did you play? 

-Nicodem vs Jakob Lynch (NB), 7-7 tie

-Nicodem (Undertaker, Maniacal Laugh, Reaper Grin), a Dead Doxy, a Crooligan, Izamu, Yin (Unnerving Aura), Vulture, Mortimer (Corpse Bloat), 7 stone cache

-Lynch (Endless Hunger, Woke Up With a Hand), Huggy, Mr. Graves, an Illuminated, a Doppelganger, a Beckoner, Coppelius, and a Bandersnatch, 4 stone cache (as far as I am able to recall)

-I'd give it a 7. We don't pull punches, but we are both learning our crews so figured the game was a little more like practice for the two of us.

-Extraction, Claim Jump, Frame for Murder, A Quick Murder, Accusation, and Recover Evidence

-Took Claim Jump to set up early with Crooligan and continue with summoned models/incidental scheme running, Frame on Izamu because he's big and tarpitty, demanding attention

What worked? What didn't?

-Largely very happy with the results, but only got 2 VP for Frame because Izamu had caught up a lot of smaller models in combat, eventually falling to one of the lesser-stationed models. Turns out my opponent had to deal with Izamu somehow, as he had A Quick Murder.

-Despite the extra work involved, I still find myself taking Claim Jump a lot, and Frame with some frequency. I am finding that the crew is killy enough for A Quick Murder, so I might mix it up a bit with that.

On 25/4/2017 at 1:46 PM, 4thstringer said:

Who did you play? 

Perdita Ortega

Perdita with tricks shot,aura ancestral and badge of office,Francisco with wade in and diestro,2xHunter,watcher,Nino ortega,Nephilim enslaved

Opponent with Marcus,Myranda,2corrupted hounds,mechanical rider,Angelica,Malifaux's raptor

Reckoning.

Hunting party,Accusation,hidden trap and eliminate the leadership.

Me and opponent choose eliminate the leadership and hunting party.

What worked? What didnt?

3-3

Perdita shoot two times to Marcus in first turn but only make 5 wounds(to low for the point of eliminate),then Marcus is gone to end table all time,the Mechanical rider kill my Nephilim and then remain engaged with my Hunter and Francisco,with a flurry,Francisco miss an attack and the enemy resist a turn over.Then Myranda became a Blessed that activates two times with Alpha,It engage the watcher and I shoot she with hunter and Nino,but a black joker when the blessed remain with a wound prevent me to make a point from strategy(the she kill the watcher and restore all wounds)

Probably I play more agressive with Perdita,but starting shooting at Mechanical rider,or I choose claim jump instead of eliminate the leadership.

• Like 1