Brewmaster's Binge

Nellit

Question

Hello. Newb here. I've been wondering, why does brewmaster's binge ability have built in mask on it when there are no triggers based on a duel result. Does that mean that brewmaster can decide if he wants to use built in mask or suite of a card dropped by the opponent? That does not seems to be the case.

And while we are on a subject brewmaster's "one for the road" ability also have built in mask but lacks any mask triggers. What's the point of it?

I am really confused right now. Could you please help me clarify this?

P.S. English is not my native, so sorry for possible grammar mistakes.

2 answers to this question

It doesn't do anything. You're correct that you can't choose to use the mask effect unless the target discards a mask (don't forget you can use it on friendly models!) Occasionally an action will have a built in suit that has no triggers and isn't required for a target number. This is generally for one of two reasons: consistency (e.g. if a model has two cast actions, one with a built in trigger and one with no triggers, it will usually keep the same suit across both actions, this comes from 1st edition where models had a generic casting stat they always used for all their cast actions) or for future proofing, for example if the designers wanted to, they could add a new upgrade for Brewmaster that gave him a Mask trigger to either of these actions, knowing it would be built in. It's kind of a minor thing given they could also just make the same upgrade add a mask to his casting stat for that action, but still.

Brewmaster is particularly weird because he doesn't have the mask built in for Obey, which requires one to hit its target number. Perhaps during playtesting he had the mask built in there, so they added it to all his casts for consistency, then decided to remove it from Obey and forgot to take it off his other casts.

Dogmantra is right, apparently needless suits are there for a few possible reasons. They might be there to show a masters affinity with that suit, they might be there because they interact with something somewhere else, or they might be there for future proofing. 

For example an Ice gamin has a :tome on its defence, but nothing on its card that could use it. There is an upgrade card that gives friendly frozen hearted minions a Df trigger on tomes, which the gamin will be able to get every defence duel, where as the December acolyte (for example) will need to flip a :tome to get.