Problem with "auras"

Fazza92

Question

I've a problem to comprende how work auras...rules tell us that auras expand within the inches indicated and the ht of model and affect all model within if there is LDV...ok but I've make two photos which that explains my doubts:

IMG_0600.jpg

In this photo,if Colette has an aura that affect all model within 10...would be the emissary affected by it?

Colette is HT2,the pass way is Ht2,the box is Ht1 and emissary is Ht3.

IMG_0601.jpg

In this photo I show a Colette with the aura Rehearsed that affect showgirl and minion within 8.

Who benefit from her aura?

In this photo I was presume that the passway is Ht2,the boxHt1,and all models are Ht2
upload immagini

6 answers to this question

Auras affect all eligible models within range (measured top down as per the standard malifaux rules) and Line of Sight of its origin. The Emissary is within range and Line of Sight of Colette, so it's affected by the aura.

There is a line in the rulebook about how Auras and Pulses have the same Ht as the model they come from, but this is not referenced in the rules that explain if an aura affects a model. I believe it's there for the purposes of auras that create terrain (e.g. if an aura created Blocking terrain to determine who can see through it) but afaik there are no auras that actually matter what Ht they are.

Exact quote from pg 50 of the Big Rulebook: "By default all objects within the aura's area, including the object's within the aura's area, including the model it is centered on, are affected by the aura until they are no longer within it or the effect ends", also in the callout box Auras Blast & Pulse LoS "A model cannot be affected by an aura or pulse that emenates from a location out of LoS." The example on this page explains that "Other friendly models that are within 6" and have line of sight to the model with this ability gain +1 Wp", making no reference to whether they need to be standing at a specific Ht or not.

(It's also worth noting that you never actually add the Ht of the terrain you're standing on to your Ht. It only affects drawing LoS if you're high enough to use the Vantage Point rules.)

A Ht value is specified for auras because it's necessary for the line of sight system: There may be blocking terrain between the source of the aura and model in question.  If you didn't have a Ht value for the aura (even if you're just told to use the Ht value of the source model), then you wouldn't be able to resolve Ht comparison specified for Blocking.

In other words, if you have a Ht 2 aura, and an intervening Ht4 wall, the Ht3 model behind the wall won't be affected by the aura because there's no line of sight.

I can't think of any auras that are different Ht than their source model at the moment, but that part of the rules is there to allow for such a possibility.

2 minutes ago, solkan said:

I can't think of any auras that are different Ht than their source model at the moment, but that part of the rules is there to allow for such a possibility.

Howard and Crooligans have auras that are taller than they are, not that is matters as they give soft cover and are not blocking.

12 minutes ago, solkan said:

A Ht value is specified for auras because it's necessary for the line of sight system: There may be blocking terrain between the source of the aura and model in question.  If you didn't have a Ht value for the aura (even if you're just told to use the Ht value of the source model), then you wouldn't be able to resolve Ht comparison specified for Blocking.

You only need LoS to the location it "emanates from" (i.e. the model or marker generating it) if auras had no specified Ht stat it still wouldn't matter because you can just check LoS to the model.

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

You only need LoS to the location it "emanates from" (i.e. the model or marker generating it) if auras had no specified Ht stat it still wouldn't matter because you can just check LoS to the model.

We have to have a nine page argument over which one is 6, and which one is a half dozen.  :mellow:

Either way, the aura and pulse rules are written to be able to do more than they currently are used to do.