Starting my competentive Malifaux

FinalForm

I'm playing for 8 month and just started my guild army.
I have:
 -Sonya box +witchling box+ witchling handlers
-Nellie box

- hounds
- executioners
- Francisco Ortega
- austringers

mercs:
-taelor
-bishop
-johan
-ronins

There will be a big tournament in two days and this is my first competentive Malifaux event. I wanna show some cool moves and don't mess up my positive winrate.
I run my Sonya on 35ss like this:

-Sonya 4ss
+Cherufe's Imprint (1)
+Reincarnation (1)

+Counterspell aura(1)

-Sam 9ss
+vengeance bullet (1)
+debt to the guild (1)

-Francisco 8ss

-Witchling Handler 7ss

-Witchling 5ss

or -francisco +witchling+ 3 ss

But I realy have no clue what to do with my Nellie, I kinda love the idea, but didn't tested her yet
 My fellow guildsman what your ideas on her and what list will you advise?

I will apritiate any help

Welcome to Malifaux! And to the guild, good choice! :D

First off, handlers cost 8ss. Second: I moatly play 50ss since that's where the game is balanced. What works for me might not work for you so you know, go with what works for you, I maycome off sounding full of myself at some points but I can't edit it all out. ;) I think you will find some of my more general statements helpful though.

In a 35ss tournament you should be prepared for summoners dominating most matches since summoning becomes stronger the smaller your games are. Nellie with an executioner may put some stress on a summoner. If Francisco buffs it's defensive stats and you push up and activate late in the turn it might survive long enough to cause massive havoc. All that is usually just a diversion from your real plan though which should be to get victory points (probably with reporters).

Taelor is very good against inexperienced people playing summoners because of her aura but an experienced player can very easily block of her charge route and completely ignore welcome to malifaux. Ahe is also a huge investment in such a small game.

Nellie can work with all your beaters, most of them are not super mobile and she fixes that. Giving Bishop fast makes him able to flurry twice which can result in insane damage. 

Reporters and Nellie also dominate the board by pushing the opponent's scary models away and making them waste ap on walking back, it can completely shut down some lists that depend on a single strong model to stress you.

I can't really suggest a list without knowing strat+schemes but one expensive or two cheap beaters and the rest on cheaper models would probably be my advice.

I am not a fan of Samael Hopkins personally, especially not in a Sonnia list. He actually works better with Nellie.

Sonnia may have enough damage to really mess up the opposing list but your crew has so few activations that you may likely be out-manouvered and not get to attack the things you want on turn 1.

There are a few models that easily kill Sonnia on turn 1 so you need to try and quickly grasp how far they can get their scary models (by pushing with other models etc). JustSonnia and Francisco ahould be enough killibg power in a lot of games at 35ss. In her crews the bigger problem will be getting schemes done, killing your opponent is no good if you cannot get your own victory points (especially since she often gives away 3vp on frame for murder). In your Sonnia list I would probably remove Sam and the handler to add in some reporters and maybe a witchling.

Reporters are great. Like really, really great. They are cheap leading to you having more activations. They can move early in he turn (against melee crews) since your opponent isn't allowed to charge them. Their attack can do damage or push opponents away so you can force them into positions where they can't score. They move fast enough to do schemes and victory points are what gets you wins.

Hope that helps a little, have a great time!

• Like 3

If u are interested
Thats how my tournament went:

1st game Nellie, Phiona, Press, 2*field reporters, bishop
vs 
Von Shill, strongarm, librarian, trapper, 2*freicorpsman

Easy, bishop killed almost everything within 3 turns. Gage tarpited Von Shill and didn't died.
Reporters did everything else 8/4

2nd game Sonya, Francisco, 4 doggos, austringer, reporter
vs
Lilith, Barbaros, 3 young nephilims, todd, cheruff

Board was gaddamn terrible. Tons of platforms, buildings with flat roofs and such things.
Some tactical mistakes and hard victory 4/3

3rd game full of mistakes. I was tired and had a headache.
Picked Nellie/ lost to Sandip 4/6

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FinalForm said:

If u are interested
Thats how my tournament went:

1st game Nellie, Phiona, Press, 2*field reporters, bishop
vs 
Von Shill, strongarm, librarian, trapper, 2*freicorpsman

Easy, bishop killed almost everything within 3 turns. Gage tarpited Von Shill and didn't died.
Reporters did everything else 8/4

2nd game Sonya, Francisco, 4 doggos, austringer, reporter
vs
Lilith, Barbaros, 3 young nephilims, todd, cheruff

Board was gaddamn terrible. Tons of platforms, buildings with flat roofs and such things.
Some tactical mistakes and hard victory 4/3

3rd game full of mistakes. I was tired and had a headache.
Picked Nellie/ lost to Sandip 4/6

This is the second time I have seen someone say they tarpitted Von Schill.  I don't understand how that is possible, as he can charge out engagement.  

On 28.04.2017 at 7:53 PM, 4thstringer said:

This is the second time I have seen someone say they tarpitted Von Schill.  I don't understand how that is possible, as he can charge out engagement.  

Well, guy REALY wanted Gage dead and she lived for 3 turns.

• Like 1