Getting into Outcasts

Greentinsel

Hello everyone, I hope your having a good day so far. I need some help. If you would lend some that would be greatly appreciated . I am looking to start a Viktorias Crew and I do not know what I should get besides the hired swords box. So if you could start a new Viktorias Crew with a $200 cap what would be your boxes that you bought and why.

I have a Rasputina Crew and I'm looking to get a second faction for some verity. Thanks in advance.

For myself.

Viktorias box.

Von Schill box.

Hannah (Freikorps henchman, works with Viktorias too)

Lazarus (Freikorps enforcer, tough and shooty)

Strong Arm Suit (Freikorps enforcer, tough and beaty)

Vanessa (fourth sister, magic shooty, on the centerline she has Ca9)

Anna Lovelace (Resur merc, Freikorps)

Malifaux Child (2 stone upgrade that saves Blood having to cast Sisters of Fury)

Sue (toolbox)

Hodgepodge Emissary (he's great for marker based schemes, being able to put Companion on Viktoria of Blood frees up a slot on Ashes for Survivalist, Regen and Don't Mind Me are never bad options)

Generalist Upgrade Deck

Generalist Upgrade Deck 2

Priced at Miniature Market that's just under $200US. Postage still has to be factored in of course. Obviously if you already have the decks you don't need to worry about those.

I would either hunt round for an old metal Trapper so that I had two (because when it comes to Trappers two are better than one) or find another model that can represent one on the Malifaux board so I had two. I quite like this one.

7 hours ago, Freman said:

For myself.

Viktorias box.

Von Schill box.

Hannah (Freikorps henchman, works with Viktorias too)

Lazarus (Freikorps enforcer, tough and shooty)

Strong Arm Suit (Freikorps enforcer, tough and beaty)

Vanessa (fourth sister, magic shooty, on the centerline she has Ca9)

Anna Lovelace (Resur merc, Freikorps)

Malifaux Child (2 stone upgrade that saves Blood having to cast Sisters of Fury)

Sue (toolbox)

Hodgepodge Emissary (he's great for marker based schemes, being able to put Companion on Viktoria of Blood frees up a slot on Ashes for Survivalist, Regen and Don't Mind Me are never bad options)

Generalist Upgrade Deck

Generalist Upgrade Deck 2

Priced at Miniature Market that's just under $200US. Postage still has to be factored in of course. Obviously if you already have the decks you don't need to worry about those.

I would either hunt round for an old metal Trapper so that I had two (because when it comes to Trappers two are better than one) or find another model that can represent one on the Malifaux board so I had two. I quite like this one.

This is a solid core of models. I would suggest the Winged Plague, forgoing Anna, and Convict Gunslingers over Lazarus, but that's really just down to personal preference.

On the why end of things, here's what I can say. 

The Viks project a TON of threat. They're flashy, they're effective, and they WILL cave in you opponent's faces. But they have to get there first. The Viks automatically make you opponent want to stay out of their way. With the possibility of min damage 5,  :+fate to attack and damage, and 4 AP, their reputation is well earned. The key often is forcing the engagement, so having a good amount of range to balance out the melee threat is important. Lazarus, Sue, Convict Gunslingers, and the Freikorps Trapper are all great on that front. The Viks also don't do a lot of scheming on their own, so the Emissary and Winged Plague can really help with that. The Plagues are also great for hunting down your opponent's scheme runners, since they can get a whopping 18" of movement in one turn if you do it right, 6" of that being a push into base contact with a model that doesn't have Blighted.

In my experience, the Vik's hardest match-up is vs Obey masters that can out activate or stay out of range. Hamelin, Collodi, Zorida, etc. Having your own Vik of Blood whirlwind down half your crew is zero fun, so watch out for it. 

I would strive to have a good spread of different-costed models.

The ones from the list @Freman suggested are all solid choices, but you won't be able to field more than 1-2 of them in a given situation.

i.e. Lazarus and Strongarm, Hannah and Anna serve similar roles.

I'd look into Sue, Johan, Effigy, Winged Plague and Vanessa first, they work well in most crews and setups. Malifaux Child is also believed to be a good Viks totem.

TL;DR: start with lower-cost models, then fill your collection with 10-cost models, otherwise your list-building will be extremely limited.

• Like 2

I didn't notice it but @Seadhna is right. I was thinking only of Freikorps and Sister related models and ended up recommending a whole bunch of 8-10 stone models which don't help when bulking up a crew.

Winged Plague are our best native low cost scheme runners, and having a couple available is never a bad thing. They can also intercept opponent's scheme runners, even bigger ones. With armour 1 they'll usually take a couple of AP to finish off, more if you're willing to burn high cards to keep them there, and voila, your opponent has used an entire turn of a 10 stone model to get rid of one 4 stone model. Since AP is the most valuable resource in Malifaux you're winning on the trade.

Johann is almost too good for his 6 stones. Other factions (like Arcanists) don't complain about having to spend 7 stones to buy him. He has a relic hammer, acceptable durability for his cost, and if you have the cards available he can remove conditions.

I was looking at adding Big Jake into my Viktorias lists. He's cheaper than a Ronin, very schemey, and pops up on turn 5 for some last-minute shenanigans.

From what I've seen with the Viktorias, the lists are  generally Ashes and Blood, Child/Student, maybe Vanessa or Librarian, and then just whatever else seems good. The Viktorias don't use any keywords other than Sister and possibly Mercenary depending on upgrades, so they don't care as much about the crew. Compare to Jack Daw or Colette, who encourage packing a list full of certain models.

I'm not the most experienced player by far, but most of my games with Viktoria see Ashes and Blood murder key enemy models, while the rest of the crew does their own thing dropping markers or getting in position for scoring.