ZIPP Up we go rules

Zvejkus

Question

Hello all,

I have one question about Zipp's "Up We Go" attack action. On card there is written this: "Place the target anywhere within 5" of its current position, not in terrain. Then, the target suffers 2/4/5 damage that may not be reduced."

The sentence is quite clear. I do not understand fully only to the last part "damage that may not be reduced". Please can you help me to understand this? Does that mean only abilities like Armor, Shield, Bulletproof etc.? Or does that mean also soulstone damage prevention? Is there any direct meaning of the "damage that may not be reduced" sentense? What this sentense affects and what does not?

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

For comparison, Poison +1 says that it cannot be reduced, and the FAQ points out:

12. Can a model use a Soulstone to prevent damage which may not be reduced?

Yes. Damage prevention is different than damage reduction.

13. Can a model spend a Soulstone to prevent damage dealt by the Poison Condition?

Yes. 

As far as I'm aware, Soulstones and Terracotta Warriors are the only damage prevention mechanics in the game at the moment.  Most other mechanics that negatively modify incoming damage values are damage reduction, whether that be things like Armor, Arcane Shield, Bulletproof, triggers, etc.

Hard to Kill is neither.

Edited by joediamond
clarification, again (sorry)

6 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Then there's the weird stuff like hard to kill and von Schill's aura that does neither but makes the damage be ignored anyway. Looking for the word "reduce" asSanta suggested seems like the safest rule to go by.

I must be tired...I completely spaced on Hard to Kill.  :mellow:  Although oddly enough, despite it being an exception, Hard to Kill actually does have "reduced" in it's rules text.

But that aside, I agree that's still probably the safest method.  :lol:

8 hours ago, joediamond said:

As far as I'm aware, Soulstones are the only damage prevention mechanic in the game at the moment.  Any other mechanic that negatively modifies incoming damage values is damage reduction, whether that be things like Armor, Arcane Shield, Bulletproof, triggers, etc.

Basically, "prevention" = soulstones.  "Reduction" = everything else.

The Terracotta Warrior's Thousands Strong ability is explicitly prevention, not reduction which is important for a couple of reasons but mostly because they have a self-damage trigger that cannot be reduced but can be prevented.

Hard to Kill is neither prevention nor reduction, just an ability that stops a model from dropping to 0 wounds in one hit.