Working with Wyrd Transparents

Loftybloke

I recently managed to get hold of the Wild Ones box. On opening it however I see that it's translucent (the seller apparently had no idea either). I wouldn't have bought it if i'd known this as I'm wanting to paint and use it normally.

So far I've found that the plastic is a lot more brittle than the regular grey plastic & I'm finding it difficult to line up small attachment points as I can't see very well where they should meet. I'm going to dust the rest of the frames with grey primer to help with this, but I wondered if anyone had any tips on assembling translucent crews with very fine (snappable) parts?

Thanks in advance, I'm currently very worried after spending this much on a limited crew (plus customs fees) that I'm just going to end up snapping bits off whilst gaming with the models.

Lofty

@Loftybloke I am in the same position as you...to be fair it's a bit daunting because the plastic has no real give to speak of...I started by assembling Cherry Bomb to get a bit of a feel for it and will be hitting the sprues with black primer to help with the rest....I've also been clipping off pieces of the sprue to practice shaving seam lines and glueing.

There is a very useful article by @GMort here on the forum in his "unboxing Malifaux" series where he specifically mentions some of the trickier aspects of assembly....I think slowly but surely is the best approach...Building up the base so that the model doesn't get handled directly will be my way to hopefully avoid damage

Good luck and please post any pertinent info you gather along the way as I keep picking up the Doughnuts of Death and then putting them to the back of the queue 

On 4/14/2017 at 1:13 AM, Burnin' Coal said:

@Loftybloke I am in the same position as you...to be fair it's a bit daunting because the plastic has no real give to speak of...I started by assembling Cherry Bomb to get a bit of a feel for it and will be hitting the sprues with black primer to help with the rest....I've also been clipping off pieces of the sprue to practice shaving seam lines and glueing.

There is a very useful article by @GMort here on the forum in his "unboxing Malifaux" series where he specifically mentions some of the trickier aspects of assembly....I think slowly but surely is the best approach...Building up the base so that the model doesn't get handled directly will be my way to hopefully avoid damage

Good luck and please post any pertinent info you gather along the way as I keep picking up the Doughnuts of Death and then putting them to the back of the queue 

I've just been outside to dust the sprues with black primer, and it has helped far more that I thought it would. The primer (Games workshop Chaos Black) adhered fine, and allowed me to see one side of detail at once  Whilst the plastic type is a bit more brittle, dismounted Rollins' chain has a lot more give than I would expect. Once assembled i gave it a few unfriendly shoves to simulate clumsy gameplay and it was fine. I was expecting it to snap at the hand and I would replace it with guitar wire at a push but no need :) I'll update progress on my guild thread  but I've included photos below to show the primed sprues 
IMG_20170417_111543.jpg

On 4/15/2017 at 10:34 PM, GMort said:

There's a lot of close-ups in the article that might help...not translucent but the assembly issues are identical for the most part...

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/unboxing-malifaux-rollins-black-wild.html

I always open your blog before unboxing my stuff to see what I need to be aware of :) Thanks for all the content mate. You should get a Patreon pledge in my opinion, as your guides have saved me a couple of times!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 1:13 AM, Burnin' Coal said:

I've just put together Pati Ramone, and I just have to reiterate what is on Gmorts blog on the subject, and that's the alignments of the hand/gear stick device. I ended up making the rider completely, after gluing the seat back to the wheel. Then I glue the base to the bottom of the rider, and glued that to the seat back.

Unfortunately i missed out the gear stick assembly completely and had to wiggle this into place behind all the glued pieces. Getting the arm between the shoulder and the hand took a lot of fussing around while multiple glue points were wet, so you might have to persevere with this :( sorry

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Loftybloke said:

I always open your blog before unboxing my stuff to see what I need to be aware of :) Thanks for all the content mate. You should get a Patreon pledge in my opinion, as your guides have saved me a couple of times!

Gmort deserves a bloody knighthood!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Loftybloke thanks for that - I guess that forewarned is forearmed so I'll bear your observations in mind when the sprue cutters finally come out...great looking models once complete I am still convinced they are worth all this effort...and more ;)

The other bikers is a bit of a nightmare. It seems the kit would never ever make a full circle... there's either an 1/8th inch gap at the top of the wheel or (as I did) it isn't quite circular when you just glue all the ends together :( handlebars are pretty much free-floating on mine in order to glue the wrist to the hand, I see gmort had the luxury of bending the arm to fit on the regular kits though

Challenging...

• 2 weeks later...