Walking the Dark Path of Malifaux

Bennoss

Hi, I'm Ben and I play Malifaux very regularly, after a good friend started his blog, I decided it would be awesome to have one too for my Star Wars inspired Yan Lo Crew and also to cover more games in Vienna with battle reports.

So I hope you will enjoy my future battle reports.

http://starwarsmalifaux.blogspot.co.at/p/home.html

And of course my friend's blog: http://jokermalifaux.blogspot.co.at/p/first-look-at-crew.html

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

These were a joy to read. Always nice to see how other people play the game. Removing the Peacekeeper turn one was a nice move. I take it you had some good cards to help make sure it happened? I've lost my Lone Swordsman more than once to a bad flip and a hand that just wasn't good enough to compensate.

Your Dark Side crew is coming along nicely too. I'll be following its progress in the pictures. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carecalmo said:

These were a joy to read. Always nice to see how other people play the game. Removing the Peacekeeper turn one was a nice move. I take it you had some good cards to help make sure it happened? I've lost my Lone Swordsman more than once to a bad flip and a hand that just wasn't good enough to compensate.

Your Dark Side crew is coming along nicely too. I'll be following its progress in the pictures. :)

Thank you. Yeah, I had one high tome and with recalled training and 4 attacks, I had to risk it because my opponent seemed to not have a really good hand :D

I will include some pics of the crew as soon I get some of them painted :)

4 hours ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

Young Nephilim in Perdita's crew? Interesting choice ;)

I'm not a fan of star wars at all, but I appreciate the cleverness of the idea. Can't wait to see your miniatures painted!

Ah, I should stop to writing my reports at 2 am... :P

I'll change that, when I am at home.

Pics of the crew will hit my blog as soon they get painted :)

• Like 2

I like these reports - thank you for taking the time to write them! It's nice to read about Yan Lo and you're playing him well. Totally rooting for you in every report!

This last one was a bit painful, though. Ouch! Levi is a very tough match-up for Yan Lo in general, I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I like these reports - thank you for taking the time to write them! It's nice to read about Yan Lo and you're playing him well. Totally rooting for you in every report!

This last one was a bit painful, though. Ouch! Levi is a very tough match-up for Yan Lo in general, I think.

Thank you. Yeah Levi is always a hard one, but the biggest problem this time was the totally underestimated Desolation Engine. I am always thinking about what Yan Lo and his crew could have done, but I didn't found a solution yet, but I am confident I will find a satisfying solution for this problem :P

Happy Star Wars Day.

I have good and bad news. The bad news is I didn't get a game in for a battlereport on Star Wars Day. :P

The good news is, I used my time and I am ready to grant you a first look on my Crew and I hope you like it. (Just to warn you all: I am not a great painter :D)

http://starwarsmalifaux.blogspot.co.at/p/blog-page.html

• Like 1

I've had a look at your blog before, but didn't have the time to read the BR then.

Did that now, read all of them. At first, I didn't really like the move-by-move format, but got used to it quickly and the advantage is that nothing is missing. So I really enjoyed the reports, thanks for taking the time to write them down and keep up the good work!

Found them especially interesting because I recently finished up my Yan Lo crew and ran him in a tournament for the first time, so it's nice to be reading about the old geezer in other player's hands. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mutter said:

I've had a look at your blog before, but didn't have the time to read the BR then.

Did that now, read all of them. At first, I didn't really like the move-by-move format, but got used to it quickly and the advantage is that nothing is missing. So I really enjoyed the reports, thanks for taking the time to write them down and keep up the good work!

Found them especially interesting because I recently finished up my Yan Lo crew and ran him in a tournament for the first time, so it's nice to be reading about the old geezer in other player's hands. :)

Thank you for your input. I know sometimes it get annoying to read through the "not important" activations, but I often read battlereports where i didn't get what most of the models were doing the whole game, so i decided to try this format. :)

I really like Yan Lo and don't see why so many people out there hate him that much. He is not the killer or something like that, but he has so much utility with his lightning dance and place effects, that this could turn the tide of a game.

3 hours ago, Bennoss said:

Thank you for your input. I know sometimes it get annoying to read through the "not important" activations, but I often read battlereports where i didn't get what most of the models were doing the whole game, so i decided to try this format. :)

I really like Yan Lo and don't see why so many people out there hate him that much. He is not the killer or something like that, but he has so much utility with his lightning dance and place effects, that this could turn the tide of a game.

Yan Lo takes a bit more careful planning and can fold with a couple of bad activations. Other masters are better suited to bounce back. I find him fun to play, but i rarely win with him. I'm still hoping for an Errata for him to help him up a bit. I would also suggest adding a bit more terrain to your tables. Those are pretty open :huh:. Unless you are using some of the built in canyon areas as terrain as well. 

• Like 1

Oh, another thing I meant to add - the games I played with Ya Lo were all with the Terracotta Warrior - that guy and Chiaki and the Emissary is a whole bunch of goodness.

Having Yan Lo with Ancient Protection, Fast and Recalled Training basically EVERY round is just nuts! :D

7 hours ago, Mutter said:

Oh, another thing I meant to add - the games I played with Ya Lo were all with the Terracotta Warrior - that guy and Chiaki and the Emissary is a whole bunch of goodness.

Having Yan Lo with Ancient Protection, Fast and Recalled Training basically EVERY round is just nuts! :D

Terracotta is nice, but I hate to proxy models (I know the Goryo is also a proxy, but he is too good to not field him :D). In addition I don't like to not ascend Yan Lo, because the Terracotta Upgrade Switch only works as long as I have not more than 3 Upgrades and I always tend to start with 3, so the Recalled Training swap, doesn't work because 4 Upgrades is against the restrictions at the beginning of the game. Chiaki is always a consideration, but I have often seen her doing less than other options for 6 SS.