Lacking Lucky Emmisary?

DanteJH

Hey kin! I'm thinking of fun things to get next for the faction and it's between pigs and the lucky Emmisary. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is on this model, I've read his pullmyfinger page and he seems fair for his cost but lacks the keywords we like (gremlin, pig and more recently, construct). Do you use him? Why not? What for? Would some pigs be better?

Thanks as always!

He's a 10 point melee beater in a faction with better more synergistic 10 point melee beaters.   He can't be healed (Gracie/mancha)  he can't be given fast (Whiskey Golem) He can't do... whatever it is swampfiends do (Bad Juju)

Just as a standalone model, he's not QUITE worth it.   With the buffs for the master specific upgrades... he's still, for the most part, not Quite worth it.

Which isn't to say that it's bad.  I have trouble thinking of another model with a 3inch melee, it has a huge variety of re-positioning shenanigans both for other models and self-pushes, as well as a  solid 3/4/5 damage track.    It can even get out slow.  

But it's main problem is that its upgrades are kind of boring.   Ulixs upgrade gives it a push on pigs in a list that can already get a lot of pig pushing.   + Flips on bayou 2 card from Somer is nifty, but it's only marginally better than +flips on attacks.    I can't even remember what Ophelia's upgrade does, which goes to show how interesting it is.  The best upgrade is Mah Tuckets, which allows her to get 2 chores abilities off, giving you a very high chance of geting +1 ML if both mah and the emissary are still alive.

It's a little over-costed, its in a fairly competitive niche, and doesn't bring anything Super Exciting for most masters.   It's not a bad model, I run it every now and again, but there's almost always better ways I could have spent those 10 points.

If you're on a budget, and looking for something that'll make your game fun and interesting, the Emmissary can do that.   If you're lacking piglets/war pigs to run with Ulix, then I think you'll have more fun with those.   If you don't already have Ulix, well, Ulix is probably the better buy.

If you're looking for more power and to tournament on a budget, then you should probably look to spend your money elsewhere.

I really like the Emissary with Wong especially if you put explosive solutions on Wong and include Sparks in the crew. Sparks can make the Emissary fast and pack it with explosives and then Wong can use it as a blasting point. This gives you an extra blast marker and if you hit the ram trigger the blasts are doing 4 damage of a moderate.

it does take some set up but it makes a nice change from the standard wong lists for me.

41 minutes ago, PositronMike said:

Sparks can make the Emissary fast and pack it with explosives and then Wong can use it as a blasting point

That takes some setting up, as it's inexplicably not a Construct, so you need a scrap marker and more cards.

I like the Emissary with Mah, Zoraida and Brewmaster, but I've yet to try it enough to say much about it.

It is an expensive model that tends to be at odds with itself. As has been stated getting performance out of it often takes significant set up and additional hires. My thoughts are that they tried to do to much with it at the expense of making it good at any one particular option. As has also been stated we have better options to do what it can, and often they are cheaper too. Some of the Master Specific Upgrades are worth a look but I often finding hiring a 10 SS model to hold it is less efficient than simply doing with out it (10 SS can hire quite a bit of other options (2 Bayou Gremlins and a Piglet for example).

• Like 1

I'm in the its very underwhelming pile. It doesn't hit spectacularly well or hard for a ten point melee model, and roosters can do ricochet charges for less points. slow gun is meh. Its kinda tanky, but we cant heal it with our most efficient healers. upgrades are okay but not enough to carry the model out of mediocrity. just all around disappointing considering how good some of the other emissary's are

I would agree that compared to some of the other Emissaries we sort of got crap. A faction that functions on synergy doesn't need a model that doesn't really tap into that well, especially one that is also expensive.

With that said, the last time this topic popped up I recall there was at least one poster that found it useful.

12 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

With that said, the last time this topic popped up I recall there was at least one poster that found it useful.

Of course.   It's a useful model.

Almost every model in Gremlins will succeed in certain circumstances.   Even bushwhackers work decently well, if next to lenny in a crew full of other shooting models.  There aren't really any BAD models in gremlins. 

But the Emissary doesn't competitively do things that we cannot accomplish for less cost with other models.   Most factions would love a 10 point 3inch melee 6 3/4/5 model.   Armor 1, hard to kill?  Movement shenanigans?   That's great for them!    But for gremlins, if I want something dead in melee, I take Francois or Gracie.   3/4/5 is all well and good till you start whipping out 4/6/8 models.

I'd say the emissary is more survivable than similar gremlin options, but we can heal our other good melee candidates.    Which means it is simultaneously less good at killing AND less good at living.

It's on the cusp of being a usable awesome model.    If it's master upgrades had just been a little more interesting, it could have been a contender.    But they weren't, and it isn't.  You can take it in a game, and have fun, and have it do some cool stuff.  But no matter what cool thing it does, no matter how much you Win because of it, there is another model you could have brought that would have allowed you to win better.