Arcanist Game: Create your list

Mxbedlam

So lets play a game, just like they do on the Max Value Podcast. Twice a week I will load up a random scheme pool and give you a randomly selected faction to play. Your job is to come up with an Arcanist crew that you would take into the pool. Do not like any of the lists until after 48 hours is up. Once 2 days have gone by, I'll announce its voting time. Vote by hitting like on the post with your favorite list. Winner gets internet kudos. 

So first pool to try:

Standard Deployment

Guard the Stash

Claim Jump

Accusation

Leave Your Mark

Set Up

Mark for Death

Your opponent is Guild

• Like 4

Next time can we get a picture of a random board too? Currently I'm focusing on Ironsides and Kaeris and I'm finding I will sometimes veto one or other based on how busy the board is (ie. I like Kaeris in very heavy terrain boards cause I can make things fly and Ironsides on the lighter side cause I like pushes and using her as a gunline).

• Like 5

Ramos (7) (Cause spiders can claim the stashes, sacrifice themselves/be sacrificed by Ramos to deny Accusation and Mark for Death, one wandering off on their own can score Leave Your Mark if PP isn't going to work (probably starting Turn 3 though) or help with Claim Jump, if you feel a setup coming you can take the extreme measure of combining them into a swarm to remove the scheme markers)
        - Field Generator
        - Arcane Reservoir
        - Bleeding Edge Tech
        - +2 SS
Brass Arachnid (4) (just here as an Howard upgrade, or once he is too far for reactivate another scrap should my opponent not be making enough of them off of my spiders for me)
Howard Langston (13) (either cruise missile in with reactivate to kill that must kill model, or clear out a stash marker to deny Strat)
        - Imbued Energies
Cassandra (9) (for PP and because she can score Claim Jump by herself if needed. Her speed can also help with giving Accusation to some backline model in a pinch)
       - Practiced Production
Malifaux Raptor (3) (Even if I don't Leave Your Mark with PP I take these guys to clog up guild gunners)
Malifaux Raptor (3)
Electric Creation (4) (first turn scrap and free push for Ramos)
December Acolyte (7) (To start the control game around a stash marker before the game even begins)

Expected Schemes to choose after seeing opponent's list: Accusation and Leave Your Mark. Claim Jump is a back up should either of those two not look good (eg. I think they can blow away my Raptors too fast for Leave Your Mark or my opponent doesn't have enough close range models that I feel comfortable trying to score Accusation off of)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Franchute said:

@7thSquirrel Why dont you like Joss?

I don't have anything against him really. In this case though I wanted speed (i.e. models how move fast or start in position) and activation control so I could get control of the stash markers/"accusation mini game" over kill power because while it is easier to scheme with the enemy dead, nothing in this pool really requires me to kill. If I added Joss I would have to drop December Acolyte and a Raptor to just fit him in without Upgrades. I would also want to switch out Cassandra for Carlos, cause if I'm going with armor and kill power I want as many of them out as I can so my opponent needs to make choices in that area. At that point I'm a 2 Stones short because Carlos for Cassandra is 1 and I would want Stunt Devil for another 1 too, and I still haven't dropped any Upgrades on Joss. Just not sure where I would make that up without really dropping my activation count or dropping Raptor for PP/Leave Your Mark or my scrap generation (switching into the Toolkit would only save me 1 stone).

Edit: Also people like Joss for holding the "aura" Upgrades, Stash markers will often block LoS so you make not get those aura effects if you are fighting around them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7thSquirrel said:

Ramos (7) (cause this pool is built for spiders. Can claim the stashes, sacrifice themselves/be sacrificed by Ramos to deny Accusation and Mark for Death

Spiders blowing themselves up won't deny Mark For Death:

When an enemy model with the Marked Condition is reduced to 0 Wounds or leaves play, gain 1 VP and remove this Condition from that model.

Doesn't matter how they leave play, just that they do.

• Like 1

Ironsides - Challenge The Crowd, Frontline Leadership, Warding Runes

Amina Naidu - Imbued Energies, Warding Runes

Angelica - Practiced Productions

Howard Langston - Imbued Energies

Oxfordian Mage - Blood Ward, Temporary Shielding

Union Miner

Wind Gamin

5ss cache

Warding Runes and the Blood Mage keep Ironsides and Amina from being Accused! or Marked.  Angelica can pull models out of engagement to remove Accused! or just move them where they need to be, and with the Wind Gamin can do Claim Jump / Leave Your Mark.  Wind Gamin and Union Miner can run around giving enemy's Marked and Accused! if need be.  Union Miner can do Set Up and feed PP, as well as scratch Howard, Amina, and/or the Mage turn 1 for HPM.  Amina keeps the crew safe from large threats with Summons and Liable on whoever can threaten my models from a distance and pull models off of Stash Markers, or just make them Peons.  Ironsides pulls models off Stash Markers, gives HPM to nearly everyone in the crew, and can get into the enemy mid/back lines when needed to pull apart their ranged attacks or support.

So I played this list versus Guild last year and won handily.

Kaeris. Arcane Resevoir, purifying fire, blinding flame. +1or2 ss

Joss. Imbued energies.

Mech Rider.

Malifaux child. Although eternal flame could possibly be better.

Hoarcat Pride.

Sabertooth Cerberus. Imbued energies.

Arcane effigy.

Kaeris can push enemies out of scoring range. And keep wounds topped up. Joss can hold a stash marker by himself the Cerberus can alpha strike most guild non masters off the table in one turn. Kaeris also helps block line of site between the stash markers and can redeploy easily whichever way she is needed most.

The hoarcats built in - versus projectile attacks is good against guild it also packs a punch.

The Mech rider can score 2 for setup by itself and brings in reinforcements.

Effigy is great for extra burning for kaeris whilst also being a tough 4ss activation also good if brutal emmissary sets something on fire for Sonnia to blast without LOS.

I would take setup and either mark for death or claim jump.

• Like 1

Rasputina + 5 Pool
- Shattered Heart (3)
- Cold Nights (1)
Wendigo (3)  -  table control, devour paralized beater, Set Up
Snow Storm (11)  -  bullet proof, Guard the Stash
Cassandra (8)  -  LyM, Claim Jump/ Set Up
- Practiced Production (1)
- Smoke And Mirrors (1)
December Acolyte (7)  -  range threat, AP control
Silent One (6)  -  heal, Storm covering
Ice Gamin (4)  -  7th activation, dmg buff
Malifaux Raptor (3)  -  8th activation, LyM, sniper obstruction

I'll choose Set Up if I'll see Hoffman with Peacekeeper or Howard. In other cases - Leave your Mark (Cassy+Raptor) and Claim Jump (Cassy+Wendigo).
I'm going to deny strat points from opponent by Ice Pillars and high range threats. 5ss with healing should be enough for both henchman surviving.

• Like 1

I dig all the lists so far and this idea in general. Lots of variation for the same objectives, which is why I love this game!

Here's my take on it:

50 SS Arcanists Crew
Mei Feng + 3 Pool
 - Seismic Claws
 - Arcane Reservoir 
 - Vapormancy 
Emberling 
Cassandra 
 - Practiced Production 
 - Recharge Soulstone 
Freikorps Librarian 
Mechanized Porkchop 
Silent One 
Union Miner 
Arcane Effigy 
Malifaux Raptor 

Depending what I see across the table and terrain, Mei can either jam up the opposing crew while her guys move up and entrench around the Stash markers or hang bavk and give them some Vent Steam cover while the MechChop/Effigy prepares the road for her to Railwalk when most effective. Librarian and Silent one move to hold the Stashes/be in healing/Ca position, Silent One especially supporting Cassandra. Union Minor can hand out burning at range to give Mei more punch (along with the Effigy buff) while making Claim Jump orSet Up pretty easy if there's a good target on the latter (while using the threat of Practiced Production to bluff Leave Your Mark, or just doing it if their list is going to be in my face). Cassie wants to go first anyway, so she won't often be Accused, and can Accuse before others acctivate.

Raptor is mostly there as activation control and another avenue to lock down gunline pieces or things I want to slow down while threatening Leave.

Probably wouldn't worry about Mark for Death, but could be done if needed.

All in all, a fun list, methinks.

• Like 3

These are all pretty great so far! Keep it up. Next time I'll grab some maps off vassal for the next one. My list for this is gonna be: 

Marcus (Trail of the Gods, Feral, Hunger Cry) basically a full on distraction and ability to threaten nearly anything on a single stash marker by himself

Jackalope reaccuring nuisance

Angelica (PP) gets models where they need to be

Myranda (Imbued Energies) extra cards, extra activation big beasty

2 Molemen one of the best scheme runners in the game and require effort to shift

Mech Rider (Imbued Energies) Can do set up pretty much on her own and activation control.

Razorspine Rattler tough to move. hits fairly hard and can force people to deal with it instead of moving around

Choices will probably be Leave Your Mark and either Set Up or Mark for Death. With all his AP Marcus can easily get at least 2 points for Mark. Mech Rider can pull off set up pretty easily, especially if Rattler can hold them down

Sure I'll bite. Haven't played a single game with Arcanists yet but I'm hobbying on with Marcus & forest friends.

Marcus - The Trail Of The Gods, Feral Instincts, The Hunger Cry - 5ss

Jackalope

Myranda - Imbued Energies

Sabretooth Cerberus - Imbued Energies

Razorspine Rattler

Silurid

Moleman

Moleman

Malifaux Raptor

Eyeing up Mark For Death and depending on the opposing crew Claim Jump, Leave Your Mark or Set Up.

Very nice ones, so far.

Here is mine:

-Sandeep Desai ; Unaligned Sage, To behold another World, Seize the Day ,   5SS

-The Valedictorian ; Warding Runes, I.E.

-Mechanical Rider ; I.E.

-Oxfordian Mage ; Temporary Shielding, Blood Ward

-Oxfordian Mage ; Temporary Shielding, Nemesis Ward

-Oxfordian Mage ; Temporary Shielding, Doom Ward

-Silent One

Sandeep, the Valedictorian and the 3 Mages (+Banasuva) to protect the Stash Markers..

Silent One as Healer and engagement caster..

Mech Rider and summoned gamins to run the schemes (leave your Mark and probably claim jump)

1 hour ago, bertmac said:

Would love to see a suggestion for each master before this ends!

Couldn't agree more, so here's another from me.

While I don't generally see Colette's lists have a ton of staying power for point holding, this is what I would try in this case, as there are enough schemey schemes to make me tempted anyway.

50 SS Arcanists Crew
Colette Du Bois + 4 Pool
 - Arcane Reservoir (2)
 - Cabaret Choreography (2)
 - A Lady's Secret (2)
Cassandra (8)
 - Recharge Soulstone (1)
 - Practiced Production (1)
Coryphee (7)
Coryphee (7)
December Acolyte (7)
Silent One (6)
Union Miner (5)

With as much as I want to put Carlos in here, with Guild I'd worry about Sonnia, and with his auto-burning every turn, he's a liability.

So, we have Cassandra with a Silent One to focus on on Stash, aiming for the Cropyphee to duet with Promt shenanihans pretty quick for those (0) heals to keep them alive and annoying. Colette summons doves for a Practiced Production of Leave Your Mark (or the bluff thereof), Union Miner makes Setup/Claim Jump a breeze, and Cassandra going early/backed up by a Silent One would make Accusation and Marked for Death pretty simple.

Meanwhile, Colette does what she does and makes sure the rest of the show goes off without a hitch. Lady's Secret will allow her to bop in to finish off something marked, or hold a marker should it suddenly be unattended.

• Like 1

50 SS Arcanists Crew
Rasputina + 6 Pool
 - Shattered Heart (3)
 - Cold Nights (1)
 - Child of December (1)
Wendigo (3)
Snow Storm (11)
Blessed of December (9)
December Acolyte (7)
Ice Dancer (6)
Silent One (6)

(exported from CrewFaux)

This crew is set up to blast/kill/paralyze anything which attempts to hold the stash and act as distractions while the Blessed and Ice Dancer work on schemes. Taking Set Up and teasing Claim Jump (or vice versa) while placing a number of scheme markers near the stash could add a bit more control over where my opponent moves, also. 

50 SS Arcanists Crew
Ramos + 7 Pool
 - Under Pressure (2)
 - Field Generator (2)
 - Arcane Reservoir (2)
Brass Arachnid (4)
Joss (10)