Monthly Painting Challenge 2017 -- April

prof_bycid

So, I hate taking pictures and seeing flaws in them that are frankly invisible at a normal level. Case in point, Lust. Another commission - a friend asked me to paint her like Lindsey Stirling and I decided to go "Extreme Ginger" - and make a real effort at it.

large.58edd6ca00109_malifaux-crossroads7

There's a weird brown mark on the right of her face, and SOMEHOW there's a green smear on the violin's side. Thankfully this is still not sealed and I can go back and fix it, but still... A year ago I would have shrugged and said, "Good enough," because if I don't let go I get upset, but it's a pay job. I need to figure out something to take an underlit picture of the face because man, I put a lot of work into it and she's just shadowed. Maybe I should move one of the light strips from the top to the bottom instead... hmm...

Also, got the Silent One done... mostly... What I thought was her nose must be a bit more of the mask extending upward and I need to fix that.

large.58edd6cada751_malifaux-arcanistmin

Also extreme ginger because I had the color mixed up and said, "What the heck."

Lastly, the Oiran I'm putting on a stage with my other Showgirls - the claw fist Oiran I don't much care for, and the naginata Oiran looks way too aggressive, but fangirl here looks like she'd be a perfect stage show.

large.58edd6cbbcd23_malifaux-tenthunders

Her name is Korein (Colleen), a half-blood orphan from the streets of Nagasaki, and she parlayed her striking copper hair, natural grace, and charm to rise up in the Ten Thunders and become one of their Oiran capable of passing for a non-oriental. Yes, I made a TTB character based solely off this mini, though I did cheat in the Ten Thunders Station because, well, I had to.

• Like 5

Winter is Coming 

IMG_20170412_162152516_zpsquuqqbjv.jpg

Finished Ice Golem, Wendigo and 3 Ice Gamin for 25ss. With these all being translucent I took it pretty easy and just went with a white dry brush and then a blue glaze. They look really cool with light shining through them so in the future I might mount them on bases with LEDs.

Meanwhile here's a WIP pic of Rasputina and Snow Storm.

IMG_20170412_162418721_zpsad2craz3.jpg

I've assembled them as far as I'm going to before painting, primed black and dry brushed white. Next I'll start building up layers of translucent paint and then I'll add detail/dry brush/wash/glaze until I'm either happy or "over it". My intention is to make these two up to the "state-of-my-art" but we'll see what happens.

• Like 5

@iamfanboy : I know what you mean.  They look great at arm's length, and then the photo finds things you would not see otherwise.  I am going for table ready as well, in my case that is my limit anyway.  If they look great while playing, they will draw people into the game and make the game more enjoyable.  That's what most of us are after.  I love seeing really well-painted miniatures, but don't get there myself.  Like the first post says, this is a painting community, not a painting competition.  Cheers!

• Like 2

Rough first half of the month for me. I ended up with a real bad sinus infection that just put me on the shelf and destroyed all motivation to do anything. Finally feeling human and looking to get back on track! Looking at all the great work so far is helping get my motivation and inspiration to splash some paint! Keep up the great work, all :)

• Like 4

@KrazyIvan:

That's why I chose not to take part in the first place, even though I like painting-challenges like this. One reason is that I'm easily distracted :P. I might start a model only to pick up another one later or start building terrain. Or do something completely unrelated to the hobby in my free time.

Also, while I like to get my monthly paint jobs in, I have so many 'to do-lists' on my desk or in my head, another one - even if fun and hobby related - is actually more stress than recreation for me.

@KrazyIvan:  Well, you do get two misses, so no need to decide yet.  If you paint less but finish some, you are still in at a lower level.  But, in the end, if you work on terrain and post progress on that we all still win---love following your board builds!

@MunkyMuddFace: Not even halfway though the month.  Loads of time to get on back in this month.  Glad you are feeling better.

@Treehouse:  Yes, I know what you mean.  Need to keep it fun; we have enough stress in other aspects of life.

• Like 4

@H4ml3t Sure, no problem, here you go:

1. After basecoating (I basecoat in white, so maybe you can skip this step) paint the eyes black, including the area around them.
2. Paint the eyeballs white. Correct their form with black if needed.
3. Paint vertical lines in black through the middle of the eyes to create the pupils (lines are important - if you just dot them in, your models will look quite scared :P)
4. After that, paint the skin around the eye and clean their shape up. Leave a small black line around them, this helps them pop.

It makes it a lot easier if you paint the eyes before you do the rest of the face. If you find the eyes hard to reach for doint the pupils, try holding the model upside down.

Hope that helps!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sandmann said:

@H4ml3t Sure, no problem, here you go:

1. After basecoating (I basecoat in white, so maybe you can skip this step) paint the eyes black, including the area around them.
2. Paint the eyeballs white. Correct their form with black if needed.
3. Paint vertical lines in black through the middle of the eyes to create the pupils (lines are important - if you just dot them in, your models will look quite scared :P)
4. After that, paint the skin around the eye and clean their shape up. Leave a small black line around them, this helps them pop.

It makes it a lot easier if you paint the eyes before you do the rest of the face. If you find the eyes hard to reach for doint the pupils, try holding the model upside down.

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for the tutorial. Have tried to change the color of the black line you leave around the eyes? Maybe something like a dark brown?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Thanks a lot for the tutorial. Have tried to change the color of the black line you leave around the eyes? Maybe something like a dark brown?

I usually don't do it myself, but I tried it the Oiran I painted above. I used a dark metallic green instead of black and...

It doesn't pop very well. It's THERE, I can zoom in on the unshrunk image and see it, but at a tabletop level it's not as effective as black. Ah well, failed experiments and all that.

• Like 1

After seeing a couple people finish up their April pledges this early, I decided to do the finishing bits on one of the three models I'm working on this month.  Here is the Scorpius.  I love this model.  If there was an arthropod in a Tool video, this would be it.  Two to go!

large.Apr2017_Scorpius.jpg.f10effcf57ebaa10837e38fec8192f8b.jpg

• Like 8

...and so...a bit later than I would have wished but here is  my WIP for this month....I would have been much further on had I not inadvertently switched off my compressor and primed my models in what resembled a fine coat of sand....so had to strip everything and start all over again...hey ho....live and learn chapter 32,473 page six I guess....the mannequins won't count in my SS tally because I never declared them but they were lurking there on my "to do" list so they have joined in as well....

large.IMG_3912.JPG.fcbf6d80a54269c45e55922e8fb4abf1.JPG

• Like 7