Monthly Painting Challenge 2017 -- April

prof_bycid

April is month 2 (of nine)!  I know it is still a few hours before April (at least here in EDT-land) but I mean, SongOfTheSo'mer's, "Onward to April," had six exclamation points after it; who am I to hold back that kind of enthusiasm?  This is a friendly painting community, not a competition.  Remember that this is a fan-based thing only, and is not sponsored or approved by Wyrd in any way (i.e., screw-ups are on me, not them.).  I am simply continuing the tradition started by Jaxx23 and Vaiuri and maybe others before them.  I may offer a prize, if I can figure out how to make the judgement with different people in different categories.  Maybe one prize for each category for the person who hits the goal every month and paints the most above the limit?  Maybe if y'all promise to not get too competitive on me, we'll see.

Rules can be found in the Monthly painting challenge enrollment post.  Or just ask me.

Tracking sheet can be found at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fUeZczizoFoMjwVDcJVpJtYkKiRvTOf5HpniRHrmijU/edit?usp=sharing

At the START of the month: post a photo of your unpainted minis and any plans for them you have.

In the MIDDLE of the month: post work in progress photos if you want, or just banter about ideas.

At the END of the month: post your finished models and the Soul Stone Cost painted, and I will get this on the tracking sheet.

Aaaaaannnnnnnnnnd GO!

I'm going for Guilder Rasputina and Snow Storm this month for 27ss. I'll also be working on the Translucent Raspy crew (Ice Golem, Wendigo and 3 Ice Gamin) but I might not claim points for them--it'll depend on how much painting I do on them.

IMG_20170326_144431950_zps7fs3d7n2.jpg

Any suggestions on a paint for Rasputina's base skin tone? I'm thinking a creamy, pearly white. 

• Like 4

@H4ml3t I have the same guilders Rasputina waiting to be made up so will be following your progress with interest 

@ringsnake Your version of pukeworm is already way better than the official version

@RustAndTheCity I really like your additions to the printing press

I will be deciding what to make for this month in the coming days - looking forward to joining in for another month of inspiration 

• Like 2

At a minimum I'll be painting:

(15) Sandeep

(8) Banasuva - I don't want to paint this the standard box colors, but I really don't know how I want it to look yet. Which is a problem bc I really want to get Sandeep on the table this month...

(7) Kudra

(15) 3x Poison Gamin - thinking to make these like poisonous tree frogs? 

(5) Ten Thunders Brother

(6) Large Arachnid

(15) Rasputina

I'll also finish Kaeris, whose paint job is inspired by X-Men's Archangel.

Hopefully I'll also get to Ice Golem, Wendigo, Snowstorm, Angelika, Sparks, and a few other minions that I've already painted one of.

• Like 1

My plan this month is to first get the Malifaux Child (2ss) and Earl (3ss) off my tray from last month where they were ignored. Then,  Lucius (15), the Scribe (2ss), Guild Guard x2 (8), Lawyers x2 (12) and either Dashel (9ss) or alt Barbaros (10ss) depending how the month goes.

Allons-y!!!

large.20170402_002242.jpg.aacf3d0d1e9bccc9523ece44359b15e0.jpg

• Like 1

large.IMG_3885.JPG.1e8795497d03e694bbcabc8272d12b4b.JPG

...and I'm underway....for April it's Showtime....two performers and Carlos Vasquez for a total of 19SS...and if those two mannequins lurking just out of shot see any paint as a result of my efforts then that'll be just swell....not to mention two less grey plastic figures in my "to paint" list

• Like 2

On 01/04/2017 at 3:22 PM, H4ml3t said:

Anyone else excited by or thinking about Iron Painter? I'm thinking of entering though I have no delusions of winning. I think I could finish though and that would be a win on a personal level.

@RustAndTheCity combined iron painter with the challenge last year. I remember a really nice doppleganger scene.

• Like 1

Had a day off today so managed to get a head start on the month's painting. First Silent One almost finished... eyes are not my strong point, and I also find both pale colours and fur a bit tricky... So this was good practice at many things I'm not very good at!! Started with my least favourite of the two sculpts so hopefully will improve on the second one.

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%2010_zpsl80clkxs.jpg

• Like 8

@Kutslo, looking good! The blue really pops with the rest of the colors.

As far as fur goes, take it from a long time space wolf player, I find it works best if you start with the darkest colors and dry brush each shade lighter a little "higher" up the fur texture. Image searching whatever animal you're aiming for helps as well. 

That said, her cloak looks great for some kind of arctic beastie. Looking forward to seeing the other one.

• Like 1