Wyrd 'Sales' going forward ...

as a gamer, henchmen and flgs salesmen i can only applaud this decision :) it is true, wyrd does support the local stores trough the promotions, which do work a bit, but the sales do impact our sales, 

as a distributor, i work in belgium, get them from simple games in the uk, and i think i never ordered something that they couldn't deliver if it wasnt oop at the moment. nothing but praise for them on that front.

I understand the goal here, and it's a good one. Many of us play a lot of our Malifaux at the LGS. Unfortunately I expect that the majority of the sales void here will be filled by online retailers rather than the LGS. That will certainly be true for me. Not because I don't prefer to buy at the LGS, but I can't do it. They never have what I'm looking for when I'm looking for it so as retailers they generally fail to deliver on the primary value proposition of retail. We actually have 4 game stores that do carry or have carried Malifaux. Of those one stopped stocking the supplies about a year ago and a second has all of its Malifaux in the clearance room as of about three weeks ago. The store I often play in usually will have 1 crew box per faction and 1-2 other models in each faction in a best case scenario. The last probably has the best selection and will normally boast about double that amount (2 faction boxes and maybe 4-5 other model boxes per faction). I went to three of those about 3 weeks ago looking for a particular model I wanted and luckily found it at the third place I visited, but that's uncommon. They often don't have what I am looking for when I want it. I am an impatient and fickle person, so I often don't know what I am going to want two weeks from now. I could ask them to special order something for me but that completely defeats the purpose of retail.

I actively support these guys in other ways. I buy all my paints, brushes, spray cans, and other supplies there - and models when I can. I've been to other markets where there are stores who carry pretty much everything Malifaux. Unfortunately we don't have that here. Catch 22? Maybe. I don't feel responsible for the financial well-being of the LGS though by waiting longer and paying more for my product. I want the LGS to survive and will happily patronize these places, but they have an obligation to create a financial model that makes that possible and part of that is fulfilling their customers needs by providing the products and services they're seeking.

Since they don't charge me for playing there (maybe they should) I do want to spend money there. While I do buy supplies, generally they just don't have the models I need when I need them, so unfortunately it's unlikely for the LGS to pick up the dollars that would have previously gone to presale items.  

• Like 5

It broke my heart to find out my beloved "FN-S-LGS" didn't carry Malifaux. Truly did, especially asmost of the other gaming bits I dip into either no longer really sell through local shops (Onyx Path/WoD), or are sort of now supplanted by Malifaux (board games).

If I could get my minis at Rusty's I would, but I can't.

Still, hope this helps the game and the other retailers, but it does hurt the "Sales" value overall and make the special edition figures harder to get at...

I am another applauding the decisions even though personally it'll probably mean I may end up buying a bit less...like many others I don't just buy my models at my LGS but also my paints,glue and general modelling supplies wherever possible...frequently they don't have a particular model I am looking for but while I'm there I pick up a few paints instead...so anything that helps them keep going in the current economic climate is great...

What is not quite so great is I have enjoyed collecting many of the limited editions and it was frequently the prereleases that drove my orders up to a level that allowed me to acquire them...rabid fan ?...meh...not really...just prepared to take the hit on shipping and import charges to get a whole bunch of models I really want plus an exclusive rather than pay stupid money on eBay for a single limited model...that Gencon remains the same deal is great so I can budget for one big spend and if in the meantime I lose out on one or two exclusives then so be it.

Overall Wyrd just keep on doing what you're doing because it works,the models look great and we all need LGS

but when will the Rougarou appear ?  ;)

LGS are important so I find Wyrd's decision very logical.

Please note though that having a coherent price policy between distributors is also very important. Here in France, Malifaux's minis are often sold in LGS with price tags far higher than Wyrd's official price. It is sometimes cheaper to buy minis from the Wyrd store and bear the shipping cost by oneself !

From what has been told to me, the new distributor (I don't know its name) seems to take a higher margin than before as prices have soared. Delivery time to shops is also longer than ordering from Wyrd directly...

The lack of French translation also means that very few shops support Wyrd actively by storing minis (but the French community has been saying this over and over again so I guess Wyrd knows about it).

Although I understand how margins pile up and economics work, there is really no reason for us to buy from a LGS except if we want to help it by paying a substancial premium (which not everybody can afford to do).

• Like 1

On principle I cannot disagree.

In practice this worries me.

I am from distant Australia, specifically Sydney where to begin with the brick & mortar support is limited, because in no small part the community is limited and spread out.  

So my questions and worries are...

1. Will the special edition stuff be based on purchase threshold, in which case many of us rabid fans will be locked out as I already have what I want in current release and I made the purchase threshold on pre-release.
  2. However if the special edition is not on purchase threshold and is instead straight buy then I am terrified of shipping prices.  To ship to Australia can be prohibitively expensive and at least a good sized order would ease the purchase-shipping cost ratio, I am afraid that one or two small special edition mini's may cost as much (or more) to ship than the actual purchase price :angry:

Overall I will not argue with the sentiment but hoping that we Australian's don't start getting price crunched and excluded from special edition releases by simple shipping fees.

• Like 1

I have to assume they will be changing how the Limited Edition minis are handled. Obviously it will be nigh impossible for established players to hit $300USD at Easter without pre-releases, but I believe the War Wabbit was sold separately for $25 when it was initially released, and it would make sense for any Easter or Black Friday special models to be sold like that.

• Like 2

Does Wyrd reach out to gaming stores in targeted areas? Or is it up to the shop to actively seek out and order Wyrd products? I have one shop near by that is listed as a Wyrd merchant but all they carry is TTB and my next closest shop doesn't carry Wyrd at all... I always have to drive 2 hours out of town to the nearest shop that has Malifaux models.

I am all for trimming back online sales if there will be an injection of Wyrd products in more gaming stores.

Also, how often does Wyrd update their retailer list? There are two stores in Cincinnati Ohio (Art of War and Yottaquest) that haven't been a thing for a while now.

• 3 months later...

Yes,

The alt-Nekima and alt-Huggy are both regular release alts and not special edition models.  At least it certainly appears to be the case as they each appear with the other pre-release models and not under an special edition category.

So for those folks willing to wait I expect they'll both hit the regular retail stores I'd imagine within the next few months.

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

It just depends on when things hit retail. Limited editions don't care about retail, but those alts aren't that... so it just depends.

Kudos to you Aaron responding to both my question here and on Facebook super fast! Great service! 

On 3/31/2017 at 0:12 PM, MetaphoricDragn said:

On one hand, I guess that means I'm not seeing the Rougarou in a couple weeks.  Extra sad as the models looked great on display at adepticon.  That being said, this does seem like it would be better overall for the LGS' and that is not a bad thing.  I do hope gencon webstore will continue to have the same pre-release offerings as the actual con has, so no one if left out of the opportunity.  I do imagine there will be some griping though, when something doesn't really come out until like 6 months past then, and thus some people are left out during that gap.  

Actually my biggest worry is that it will be now even harder to hit something like spend $300 to get the alt model, I know a lot of people tended to pick up the pre-release models in the sales particularly to hit that number, as it is likely they have most or all of what they need that is already out.

Rougarou are already released, I just got mine to go along with Titania. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice sentiment, although I really fear for the high street/bricks n mortar landscape for the future.

Would it be considered that new wave release could be bought closer to Gencon in the future. I live on an Island and the pre release gencon sale was my major hobby purchase of the year. Gutted I can't do that anymore. But props to Wyrd's business model. You have my support for a long time.

Doc