Wyrd 'Sales' going forward ...

Fair enough. Will the special edition models of the sort previously used as purchase incentives, simply be straightup available for purchase, then, as they usually are in sales following?

Also, we're rabid for information on new releases in the next few months over here...just saying ;)

• Like 1

Nathan,

Has there been any movement towards direct sales to retailers?  Even at higher-than-trade pricing?  It seems all the distributors are dying slow deaths with regards to product availability and customer service, mostly due to complacency that has come through their oligopoly, and the only way to maintain decent inventory is to be a large online seller that happens to have B&M backing.

My local shop has basically given up trying to stock any wyrd products, even tho they are willing to match prices, simply because they cannot get anything fast enough (or anything at all!) from Golden or Alliance.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Guy in Suit said:

Also, as I am throwing hail mary's today, any chance retailers can get in on ToS via the backer kit? I had him try but he couldn't figure it out, even with a blank $1 pledge account.  Would be awesome to have a bunch of stock in the shop on release day.

The retail pledge ($50) is available on BackerKit.

I applaud this decision. I think it is the right move.   I have always been a strong supporter on the LGC .  Without them I would have no place to play.  

I have no issues with doing it during GenCon.  If is understandable during that time.

• Like 1

On one hand, I guess that means I'm not seeing the Rougarou in a couple weeks.  Extra sad as the models looked great on display at adepticon.  That being said, this does seem like it would be better overall for the LGS' and that is not a bad thing.  I do hope gencon webstore will continue to have the same pre-release offerings as the actual con has, so no one if left out of the opportunity.  I do imagine there will be some griping though, when something doesn't really come out until like 6 months past then, and thus some people are left out during that gap.  

Actually my biggest worry is that it will be now even harder to hit something like spend $300 to get the alt model, I know a lot of people tended to pick up the pre-release models in the sales particularly to hit that number, as it is likely they have most or all of what they need that is already out.

@Nathan Caroland This is great news. I think this is a great direction. I've written an email to my local store and pointed them here, so they can see/understand this.

Furthermore, they are a new store and have had issues getting product to players. For example a person interested in starting the game tried to order the Latigo posse and the store put the order in. Its been almost 3 weeks and it still hasn't shown up (from what I understand, attempts by the store to get status have gone unanswered). Hopefully, they submit their issues via the contact link (which I'v also pointed them to).

Regarding 'pre-release' boxes/models. Is there any chance they will be included in Event Kits? Since Event Kits are only used for in-store events it could be another way to drive players to in-store events. Just a thought a local suggest after seeing this so thought I'd pass it on.

Thanks!

I think there will be a unanimous applause from LGS supporters and all non-US players.

Now I'm just worried if one of my favorite aspects, the alt and special edition models, will decline in production/popularity due to people not able to get acceptability to them. I'm curious what, "continue to offer our special edition miniatures, colored sprues, and other incentives such as posters, t-shirts, and other items." means in practicality and in practice.

To reiterate what Pyrflamme said,

46 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

Also, we're rabid for information on new releases in the next few months over here...just saying ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

We will continue to offer our special edition miniatures, colored sprues, and other incentives such as posters, t-shirts, and other items. We just won't release models early during these sales.

I just hope Wyrd continues to pump out fun models like the War Rabbit and Tortuous and the Hair. This line doesn't necessarily mean that they will continue to produce new special and alt models at a quantity and scale the did in the past, but that they will continue to offer accessibility to already released content. 

I'd always been frustrated about the import/customs charges along with postage costs to the UK in order to get models early, so didn;t tend to order much. It does seem a bit of a shame to not have access for those that really want them early though. It does however mean that if we just want to pick up a special edition box the fees are still going to be huge. Quite tough to justify without saying 'but at least I'm getting hold of models that I'd have to wait ages for otherwise'.

Also I really do echo that the guilder scheme could really do with an update! Henchman updates are always welcome though, anything that pushes the community forwards is always a good thing!

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

We are genuinely not interested in working directly with retailers for various reasons. Support them, yes - but direct sales, we're avoiding if we can help. 

Not surprised at all by your stance - it is the norm after all.  Our store is already generating 75%+ of its revenue in member fees & food and drinks, so is probably a lost cause in terms of motivating them to fight uphill battles to carry product.  But hey, if I can have a place to play that makes money other ways and have to buy the product online, fine by me.

I'm going to play devils advocate here for just a moment, so before someone tries to get hostile; chill.  

I am slightly opposed to this due to the simple fact that it further removes my choice as a consumer on where/when I purchase my products.

I appreciate the fact that Wyrd is doing what it can to support the brick and mortar locations; God knows they need all the help they can get in the time we live in.  However, I take part in tournaments and leagues when time permits, and I like knowing that I can get a hold of new products early so I can get more practice in with them.

My local brick and mortar that I used to go to was very...shall we say liberal, with their "we do custom orders" offers, and there were a couple times when I've asked to get products, and was told "yeah sure!", and then never got them.  The store is more geared towards comics and trading card games than they are mini's, and did little to help our Henchman foster a community.  Our Henchman grew our mini community, NOT because of the B&M, but in spite of them.  I don't feel that I owe any allegiance to a B&M that does little to help our hobby, nor do I believe that my rights as a consumer should be placed lower on the Totem Pole because I'm not spending as much as a business.

Now some are probably saying, "you can still get you items, you just have to wait until it comes out so its fair for everyone,".

Firstly- nothing is making me purchase it from a B&M.  I can still buy it off your web store, I'm just having to wait a little longer now to do so.  If it was done to divert money to B&M's, it still has this problem.

Secondly- If it was done to bring about a certain level of "fairness" for them, it still hinders my choice as a consumer, and punishes me for how and when I spend my money.

Again, I appreciate what you fine folks do for us.  I love your product, and the community you've helped foster.  But I also believe that I, as a consumer, do get a say in when and how I spend my money.  If I've missed something, if this rant completely misses the point, please ignore my dumb ass and do what you guys do.  But if I have made at least somewhat of a point, I do ask that you at least consider it.

• Like 1

So to confirm- gencon prerelease purchasing through the netstore will continue as normal?

As an Aussie henchman I only ordered my event kits during the 3 sales because prerelease models helped me justify spending $60 on shipping. 

I'll likely be doing one large order at gencon from now on if it's unaffected, and like the above poster buying the later released models online (malifaux retail here is insanely marked up).

A help to B&M stores but not news I'm personal pleased with. Is what it is though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayseN said:

As an Aussie henchman I only ordered my event kits during the 3 sales because prerelease models helped me justify spending $60 on shipping

Yes, the same happens to me, non-US henchmen will think twice before ordering kits with those shipping rates now that we cant share expensenses with other buyers.