Want to build from the starter, which crew to add?

Stad

Really, I've been finding that pretty much any Neverborn crew loves having a sniper that doesn't randomize on their side. Lock them down with Candy and Fears Given Form, and while she heals herself with Goody Basket Angel Eyes blasts them. Pick the Master you like, and they will bless having a great ranged model in a faction that's all about melee. Though the suggestion of Lilith IS solid; Nephilim is very thematic together and Lilith is a simple yet deep master to use who is very good about forcing an opponent to play the game on her terms, rather than being forced by the other side.

I haven't used Scion of Black Blood all that much, but he's more a force multiplier than an always take - unless you're dedicated to staying in theme, the Mercenary Johan is waaay better at condition removal.

• Like 1

I've used both Lucius and Lynch a decent amount, and neither would be very good for you.

Lynch because he wants to work with darkened models, and preferably models that have the brilliance mechanic. You want to use him with Stitched Together and Depleted, and maybe beckoners. Once you've added those models there aren't enough ss left for the models from the starter.

Lucius has less synergy with the Scion or Angel Eyes, since he wants his enforcers and henchmen to be guardsmen or mimics. He likes working with minions of any stripe now, and I can see him getting something out of working with the bloodwretches, since he can hand out extra activations to walk them into charge positions and/or activate their card draw power. As 5ss minions they don't have much competition for what they can do, cheap beaters with card draw mechanics built in. Then you could theoretically generate a charge attack with three positive flips. One for their built in charge bonus, one for getting focus from Lucius' Issue Command, and one for Elite Cadre. If you feel like changing things up, he likes working with Orderlies too. They are hellaciously fast scheme runners under Lucius.

Angel Eyes is a good sniper, but Lucius can recruit in a whole mess of Guardsmen who are as good or better for fewer ss.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll build off of ringsnake's suggestion and say go for Lucius. He will be able to go guild or neverborn, so you can try out both factions with both sets of starter figs. He likes having the minions from either side, and both henchmen are good no matter what. If you really like one model or another you can take them in either faction as a merc.

If you're already married to the fun horrors and demons in neverborn I'd say you can't go wrong with lilith, pandora, or zoraida. All three are going to like having the fast bloodwretches, the shooting from angel, and even the scion can be useful. There's no direct synergy to take advantage of with anyone, but zoraida works well with anything, lilith is just pretty much foolproof, and pandora works well on her own.

34 minutes ago, Sharp_GT said:

I'll build off of ringsnake's suggestion and say go for Lucius. He will be able to go guild or neverborn, so you can try out both factions with both sets of starter figs. He likes having the minions from either side, and both henchmen are good no matter what. If you really like one model or another you can take them in either faction as a merc.

If you're already married to the fun horrors and demons in neverborn I'd say you can't go wrong with lilith, pandora, or zoraida. All three are going to like having the fast bloodwretches, the shooting from angel, and even the scion can be useful. There's no direct synergy to take advantage of with anyone, but zoraida works well with anything, lilith is just pretty much foolproof, and pandora works well on her own.

Lucius is no longer a Guild master, not when Nellie does everything he wants to do, but does it better. Truly, the pen is sharper than the sword!

However, Neverborn has a number of really hard core minions that do some pretty unique stuff, and he can bring along Queeg to intimidate your minions into using their zero actions. I've already explored the potential hilarity of this combo in my 'Lucius, Champion of the Fey' list idea in a separate thread.

13 minutes ago, ringsnake said:

Truly, the pen is sharper than the sword!

Or sword cane, as the case may be! HA!

Yeah, I read your bit about taking the fae with lucius, and I like it a lot. You still get to play a very titania style, scheme marker oriented list, but with a more supporting role for your master.

• Like 1

At some point I'm going going to go hard core dirty bastard and build a crew around Lucius and three Stitched Together.

Those things are crazy good. My last game I used Lynch and two stitched, and my opponent summoned a stitched next to Lilith in range of the Addict effect. I got Brilliance onto her, and that was the end of Lilith. 10 damage from Gamble Your Life, and then her black blood triggered two bouts of rotten contents for four more damage.

On 4/18/2017 at 8:08 AM, Sharp_GT said:

Right you are. I'd say no matter what crew the OP is going for the stitched together should be the first add on. They're amazing on their own, and have synergy with a lot of NB masters.

I think Lelu/Lilitu rate above the Stitched Together (and I LOVE them, btw, Oogie Boogies that they are) for several reasons: Movement tricks, reasonably durable models in a faction filled with frail ones, multiple free APs in Pounces, pushes, sharing Conditions...

Doppelgangers are probably the first model that EVERY Neverborn players should reach for, though. So much win in such a slinky package.