Changeling Attack Range

isilmeon

Question

16 answers to this question

6 hours ago, solkan said:

By that interpretation, the Friekorps Tracker would never be able to declare an attack against a model in the 14-28" range area.

Because the Friekorps Trapper has to get the range of the Attack changed to :ranged28 by the time it gets to paragraph four, too:

How do you figure that? Going by "1. Declare Action and Spend AP" (p 37) you declare what action you are going to use before you declare a target and thus have an opportunity to use any Focus you have before deciding on the target. "Focused +1" (p 52) says to use it "...when declaring an Action..." so could presumably be used any time during step 1 since it doesn't further specify a timing.

• Like 4

On 29.03.2017 at 10:24 AM, Ludvig said:

I think Bengt makes a good point. You can't use focus before measuring if you're within range of the surprise ability which is different from using focus on the trapper's declared action. The question is if the focused range can be considered the "range" of the action.

I agree with Bengt. The Rifle range is 14" and so is Surprise because until you actually decide to spend Focus when declaring the Rifle shot your range is 14". You don`t get to declare the rifle shot until someone is within 14" of the Changeling

(We had a discussion about it so I bumped it up a bit)

11 hours ago, Bengt said:

I think no. "Surprise!" have to have its conditions fulfilled before you can declare the Action and have a chance to use Focus.

By that interpretation, the Friekorps Tracker would never be able to declare an attack against a model in the 14-28" range area.

Because the Friekorps Trapper has to get the range of the Attack changed to :ranged28 by the time it gets to paragraph four, too:

It is during this step that the model declares a target. Unless specified by the Action, the target must be in range, and the model must have Line of Sight to the target. Line of Sight (LoS) and Range are discussed further on page 40.

vs.

When this Attack Action gains the benefits of the Focused Condition, increase its range to :ranged28.

in the rules for the Clockwork Rifle Attack Action. 

So the text in Surprise

Surprise!: Once per Turn, when an enemy model ends a push or move that is not part of a Walk or Charge Action within the range of an Attack Action this model may take, this model may immediately take the Action targeting the model which pushed or moved.

appears essentially to be there to prevent declaration of an attack outside of valid ranges without arbitrarily limiting the range of the ability.

1 hour ago, bedjy said:

Question regarding that engagement range. What is the engagement range of the changeling ? When does the changeling choose what (1) attack action it has ? 
If he is close to a model with :melee1 and a model with :melee3, do you have both engagement range ? the one you want ? none ?

So, if I want to go from 1" to 2", does it have a disengaging strike to do ? Then if i want to go from 2" to more than 3" ? Can i interact ?

The FAQ answers that one. The Changeling doesn't have an engagement range so can never make a disengaging strike. 

'116. The Changeling’s Copycat Ability allows them to take the Attacks of other models; how does this
affect their engagement range?

It does not. Actions which Changelings may be able to take due to Copycat are not factored in when
determing whether a model is engaged for the purposes of disengaging strikes, shooting into combat, etc.'

• Agree 1

I think Bengt makes a good point. You can't use focus before measuring if you're within range of the surprise ability which is different from using focus on the trapper's declared action. The question is if the focused range can be considered the "range" of the action.

7 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

What about stealing an austringers attack then? Wouldn't you be able to declare that if the target wasn't in LoS because you have to declare the attack to ignore LoS?

Why qouldn't you? Unless it is misquoted here, the ability doesn't mention LoS anywhere so it's 100% legit.

Question regarding that engagement range. What is the engagement range of the changeling ? When does the changeling choose what (1) attack action it has ? 
If he is close to a model with :melee1 and a model with :melee3, do you have both engagement range ? the one you want ? none ?

So, if I want to go from 1" to 2", does it have a disengaging strike to do ? Then if i want to go from 2" to more than 3" ? Can i interact ?