Malifaux Counters Required

Broken Clock

I'm new to the game and I'm looking to dive in deep! I know I need counters for this game but I don't know what I need. I have a few tokens from this site: 

http://www.brokenegggames.com/enhancements/elite-gaming-tokens.html?p=2

I use them for Guild Ball. I was wondering what I would need for Malifaux. I'd like to place an order from that site to get the same style of tokens, so I can use them for both games! I just can't seem to find a list of every token I need and how many I need (I'll be buying enough for two players to play). If someone could list off the tokens I should order and how many, that would be great.

They have corpse and scrap tokens. I know I need those in Malifaux. Does the size matter?

30mm for scheme, corpse and scrap markers. If you have blasts in your crew, you'll need 50mm blast markers. I find its nice to have unmarked 30mm and 50mm tokens for certain scenarios.

Otherwise I just write stuff on my card sleeves with a dry-erase.

Which reminds me, I need to make a stencil for my scrap markers.

Coming from Guild Ball where it's common to put every effect on the table with a token, it might feel a bit off playing Malifaux where most people tend not to do that. The most common way of tracking Conditions in Malifaux is to write them on the stat card with a dry erase marker because there are so many (8 generic conditions, then each model can have up to four or five each, which can be similar to Guild Ball's character plays but there are way way more models in Malifaux, so more conditions). Personally that's how I track conditions too, but you might want tokens for the generic conditions, in which case you would need:

• Poison (s)
  • Burning (s)
  • Fast
  • Slow
  • Paralysed
  • Reactivate
  • Defensive (s)
  • Focus (s)

unlike in GB, the ones with an (s) stack (burning +4 is different from burning +1) so you would also need some way to indicate that. I would recommend just tracking on the card with a marker, or maybe little coloured dice, a standard set of GB condition tokens with six or so may be sufficient for a crew with only a little burning and poison, but probably not if you play a crew that relies on handing out a ton of it. I can't really give you numbers because it's so different depending on crew.

There are also a few things you need markers for because their size and position on the table matter. These are 30mm unless otherwise specified:

• 1x Turf War, 1x Extraction, 5x Squatter's Rights, ~6 Head Markers, ~6 Claim Markers - these are all mutually exclusive and used for the Strategy, and there's only one of those in each game, so you could just get "Strategy Markers" and use as many as needed. You might want to go up to about 8 markers for Head and Claim but I can't personally remember ever having more than about 6 on the board at once.
  • 2x 50mm Stash Markers - also for a strategy, but these are 50mm instead of 30mm.
  • 2 or 3 50mm Blast Markers - these don't stay on the table and it's dependent on your crew whether you'll need them at all, but having a couple is always useful in case your opponent forgot theirs. You can get away with 2 most of the time because attacks that place 3 blasts are very rare and in that occasion you can leapfrog them.
  • ~8 Scheme Markers - Depending on your crew you might want more (Titania and Colette for example place a lot of these), but these are used to score some Schemes (the other objectives) and sometimes as a resource.
  • Corpse and Scrap Markers - theoretically you need as many of these as there are Living/Undead and Construct models on the table respectively, but in practice you probably only need 5 or so of each, if that. If neither player is playing models that use them, there's no need to place them.
  • 2x 50mm Terrain Markers - You don't necessarily need these, but a lot of models have the ability to create temporary terrain, such as a pillar of ice or fire. These are normally represented by 2 50mm markers touching each other. If you're doing an order I'd pick up two generic ones just in case because I'm fairly sure every faction has access to at least one model that can place terrain like this.
  • Like 3

I'm one of those weirdos who knows that it's possible to write on and wipe off cards with dry erase, but don't like to for some reason. I have some of the WMH tokens, so I just use the "blank" ones to keep track of conditions. Lets me toss them onto the field if necessary. "B+(number)" for burning, "P+(number) for poison, etc. Lets me write unique conditions too, if there's something I wouldn't represent with one of those flame tokens or whatever.

• Like 1

Wow! That's a lot of stuff! I was crossing my fingers and wishing I could just order them all from that site but I guess if scrap and corpse size are important than the ones that site offers might not be adequate. I too don't write on my cards. I love status tokens and extra game bling! I was okay spending the cash on tokens, since I'm used to ordering dice and tokens for each individual team in Guild Ball. 

my solution was to MAKE dry erase markers - paint 30mm and 50mm flat bases white and put tape over their surfaces, so I can quickly scrawl out what they are. I also have dual-sided "Corpse/Scrap" markers, and you can print those out from several online resources. The nice thing is that as flat white they really stand out, so it's hard to miss them or mistake them for terrain.

I also made Condition ones out of spare 25mm rounds that I had lying around - that way they don't get confused for Scheme/Strategy markers.

On 25.3.2017 at 0:06 AM, Broken Clock said:

I love status tokens and extra game bling! I was okay spending the cash on tokens, since I'm used to ordering dice and tokens for each individual team in Guild Ball. 

Then maybe take a look here:

I, too, don't like writing on cards (and would find it really confusing if my opponent did that), so I was very happy to follow the tutorial in that thread. Now other people get token-envy any time I play ... :D

• Like 1

For the basic stuff (Corpse Scrap and Scheme Markers, Burning, Poison, etc) I use Art of War's tokens and I really like them!  For the more unique stuff (like model specific conditions like Obsessed, from Envy) I did the cabochon stuff as noted above, but as with everything homemade they take a fair bit of time and effort to get together.

On March 24, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Dogmantra said:

Coming from Guild Ball where it's common to put every effect on the table with a token, it might feel a bit off playing Malifaux where most people tend not to do that. The most common way of tracking Conditions in Malifaux is to write them on the stat card with a dry erase marker because there are so many (8 generic conditions, then each model can have up to four or five each, which can be similar to Guild Ball's character plays but there are way way more models in Malifaux, so more conditions). Personally that's how I track conditions too, but you might want tokens for the generic conditions, in which case you would need:

• Poison (s)
  • Burning (s)
  • Fast
  • Slow
  • Paralysed
  • Reactivate
  • Defensive (s)
  • Focus (s)

One thing I would add to that is little chips or something to mark activations.  In middle of the game, you're going to forget which models have activated.  

I've had pretty good success so far using the Warlord Games pin markers (used for Gates of Antares, Bolt Action, etc.) for Poison and Burning (red plastic with yellow paint for burning, green paint for poison).  They've got a dial for 1 to 20 that's reasonably visible if you dry brush the numbers.

(Disclaimer:  Played against a Hamelin player this week, I really wish they would have brought a pile of spin counters for Blight.  )

Infinity has a few dozen different conditions and other markers, each with fancy full color designs.  But the most practical Infinity token I've found so far is a fairly simple one:  laminate a piece of cardstock, and take a 1" button press to the sheet, and then write on the plastic with a fine tip permanent marker.

If you make your markers as you need them, and then sort them into one of those multi-section craft boxes, you get a good idea of how many token of which types you'll want to buy/make nicer versions for.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, solkan said:

One thing I would add to that is little chips or something to mark activations.  In middle of the game, you're going to forget which models have activated.  

I've had pretty good success so far using the Warlord Games pin markers (used for Gates of Antares, Bolt Action, etc.) for Poison and Burning (red plastic with yellow paint for burning, green paint for poison).  They've got a dial for 1 to 20 that's reasonably visible if you dry brush the numbers.

Say, where do you get these Warlord Games spin markers? Do they sell them separately from the games themselves? Because I can't seem to locate them on the official store.

EDIT: Never mind, they're under Pin Markers, NOT Spin Markers.