Questions on Workshops and also Magia

Ixia Silver Sphere

I have been running Through the Breach for a couple of months now and recently two questions have come up at our table that I can’t seem to find an answer for. Any help anyone could provide would be awesome.

My first question is on the topic of workshops for crafting skills. In the equipment section it mentions that workshops for crafting skills are immobile. However the Chemist pursuit in the Quarantine book has a pursuit talent (unsure of the name sorry) that provides a manifested power. That power says it requires the character to have an Alchemist kit with them and that enemies won’t associate the kit with danger until the power is used in combat. My question here is, are the kit and the workshop the same thing? Meaning is the Alchemist workshop mobile while the other crafting workshops aren’t?

The second question pertains to magia and immuto, specifically the pulse immuto. A player’s Graverobber/Necromancer discovered a new grimoire that had Drain Life, Mind Control, Pulse, Increased Range, and Increased Damage on it. Recently he tried using mind control with pulse to cast a magia for 1 AP and get effectively 3 AP of attacks (the pulse had 3 targets in range). Several of my players thought that was broken and shouldn’t work while the rest were OK with it as it was a hard fight and the monsters attacking each other is always helpful. My question on this is how does Pulse work with Mind control? Does the pulse radiate out from the target or the caster? Does he have to flip a card for every viable target? Is it even a legal magia and immuto combination? Also would pulse work on drain life or would he need to use the burst immuto instead?

Again thank you for any help that can be provided.

4 hours ago, Ixia Silver Sphere said:

The second question pertains to magia and immuto, specifically the pulse immuto. A player’s Graverobber/Necromancer discovered a new grimoire that had Drain Life, Mind Control, Pulse, Increased Range, and Increased Damage on it. Recently he tried using mind control with pulse to cast a magia for 1 AP and get effectively 3 AP of attacks (the pulse had 3 targets in range). Several of my players thought that was broken and shouldn’t work while the rest were OK with it as it was a hard fight and the monsters attacking each other is always helpful. My question on this is how does Pulse work with Mind control? Does the pulse radiate out from the target or the caster? Does he have to flip a card for every viable target? Is it even a legal magia and immuto combination? Also would pulse work on drain life or would he need to use the burst immuto instead

From Pulse:

The spell affects every legal target within a area around the initial target.  If the target of the Spell is hit, then every character within 1 yard that could be affected by the Spell must succeed on a TN 10 Duel, using the same defense as the initial target.

Any character that fails the Duel (the TN10 duel, mentioned above) also suffers the results of the pulse.  If damage is dealt they automatically suffer Weak damage.

So the pulse radiates out from the target, and the order of the duels would be:

1. Duel against the primary target and the TN to cast the spell.  If this duel fails, stop because nothing else is going to happen.
  2. If the duel in Step 1 succeeded, now perform TN10 duels against all of the other valid targets within 1 yard of the primary target. 
    1. If the secondary target character fails its duel, it is affected by the spell, but any damage suffered will automatically just be the Weak damage flip result.

If a player character casts Mind Control with Pulse at NPC A, and NPC B is standing in the pulse range, then the following duels are performed:

1. Opposed duel by the player character with TN 14(base 10 +4 for Pulse+whatever other TN modifiers for range extension, etc):mask and the NPC A's Wp+[station value].  Cards are flipped, since it's player vs. NPC.
  2. If the player wins the first duel, then NPC B performs a Wp duel vs. TN 10.  No card is flipped, the duel resolves according to the NPC vs. the world duel rules. 

Pulse and Blast would do two different things to the Drain Life spell.  If you use Pulse on Drain life, the secondary targets have their TN10 duels to avoid the Weak damage result.  If you use Blast on Drain Life, there's no duel to avoid the damage.

That's how it works according to the original rules, as far as I can tell. 

Basically it means any enemies that cannot beat the TN 10 test from the pulse will be affected by Mind Control, but if their AV+ Rank is 10 they will resist.  So there will be plenty of grunts it works on and plenty it does not.  We had this come up on one player and while it seemed nasty when it went off, it has a high TN to start with and did not work on more elite grunts.  The player started to cast Mind Control on allies to get additional attacks out of them *as they can make sure they fail or have NPC allies with a value low enough to fail*.