Do I need to have Marcus and his beasts to play this faction.

Fexxo

No, you don't need Marcus to play Arcanists. His box is him, Myranda, the Jackalope, Cojo, Razorspine, and Cerberus.

Now if you want to play with Marcus and the Jackalope, then yeah, you'll want his box. For the rest of the box:

As @JoeCL mentions above, a trick using Myranda exists where you hire her and give her the upgrade of Imbued Energies. Early in the game she uses her (0) to transform into a beast (typically something that's a trade-up for the scenario). This gives you an additional threat vector, four new cards in hand, and cycles an activation in a new activation (albeit, a model with slow) at the cost of a Henchman that only really has this purpose outside of a beast crew. For those same 9 stones you might just hire in the beast that she was going to turn into, only with an upgrade. Blessed of December with Well Rehearsed is interesting, for example. I also like to put Sub Zero on it when I'm running other frozen heart models like Ice Dancers and Silent Ones. Another typical shapeshift target is the Sabertooth Cerberus.

Cojo is an interesting control piece. The main reason he's as expensive (stones-wise) as he is is his (0) action that pushes enemy models away. He also has a (0) to discard Scheme Markers, but you can get that kind of utility from other models as well. Back to the control part: 50mm base, 3" pulse that pushes enemy models 4" away, with not casting, no resisting, it just happens. For those times when position really counts.

Cerberus is a glass cannon. It hits hard, has bonuses when its not hurt, and can trigger to hit again. I've seen a freshly summoned (and thus slow) Cerberus kill a Mechanical rider with its 1 AP in turn 1. It happened at a local tournament and it floored the Mech Rider user. Similar to Blessed (Luther), I might want just spend those 9 stones to hire Cerberus in with an attached upgrade (including Imbued Energies) so that I have a hard-hitting glass cannon for FFM that will give me cards and VP, or a fast moving killer for when I absolutely need something dead. I don't get the activation cycling, but I do get the beast with an added bit of utility.

Last on my per-model breakdown is Razorspine Rattler. It's quick and can tie up models that don't want to be tied up, as well as being harder to tie down. That Slither ability is a non-walk/non-charge movement, which enables the snake to break contact and move up to 9" to attack something new, and potentially push another 3" because of the attack. Positives and doing damage on disengaging strike is a big deal. It's something I'm tempted to add to Colette variants because of how much it can do for its 7 stones.

So really, if you can find use for the other things in his box, it's not a bad add. Also, as @Mrbedlam said: Marcus is a strong master. He's just not exactly in line with the look and feel of the rest of the faction, and can hire quite a bit from out of faction. In the hands of a skilled player, Marcus is rough challenge. Which brings me back to the first sentence: you don't need Marcus to play Arcanists; similarly, you don't need Arcanists to play Marcus.